Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

converting old AM transmitter to 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 10:21 AM
jfcgnv
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default converting old AM transmitter to 2.4

Who sells 2.4 universal transmitter moduals to insert into old AM and FM transmittere. I don't mean moduals that fit JR or Futaba externally
Old 10-26-2023, 04:24 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Are you kidding? If not, you are so clueless about how these radios work that you need to buy a new one that's ready to go,
Old 10-27-2023, 11:23 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

One I have used is from Lemon-RX.com. It binds with Spektrum DSM2 & DSMX and can be installed easily in most legacy AM or FM transmitters.
Lemon Rx DSMP (DSMX Compatible) 10-Ch Diversity Antenna Receiver (lemon-rx.com)

I believe FrSky and Corona still make internal conversion kits that link with their own protocol. I don't know of any that work with Futaba FASST although some S-FHSS modules work with Futaba S-FHSS transmitters.

Check out Lemon above and Google search the others. These kits work very well when properly installed. It requires a little soldering and instructions are usually very clear. There are numerous YouTube videos showing installation that are very helpful.
Old 10-27-2023, 02:08 PM
jfcgnv

Zeeb, First why are you so nasty and critical. For your information I I was flying R/C when everything was tone and we used rubber bands to power our controls. Galopping Ghost was a gift from God and safty pins were used for diapers. Since I am a proficient old time flyer I resent your tone. My question is a valid one as I want to convert several old TX's to 2.4 and the old Am and FM tx'S do not have external module holders. I am also a single stick flyer and those are no longer available. Please try to be civil , if you are able.
The following 3 users liked this post by jfcgnv:
DOUGMAC (12-16-2023), oskartek (03-23-2024), tcrowson (10-27-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 01:40 AM
modtron

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Frsky are most likely your best place to start looking.

https://www.frsky-rc.com/product-cat...2-4ghz-module/

As long as you can find a clean PPM output from your PCB, it will make no difference if it is AM, FM or what ever.

The only question I would raise is age related reliability of your existing old transmitter.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 10-28-2023, 06:23 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

From your tone cost does not seem to be an issue. Is it the single stick transmitter that you are attempting to revive?

I have seen conversions done with stick transmitters but it has always been transplanting the new transmitter internals into the old case. They look like the old transmitter however they are a new transmitter in an old case. This gives them all the funcunality of a newer gimbals/programing etc. with the old look. Expensive but no different than using the new transmitter as it came.

On the other hand if its the single stick you prefer I understand. Years ago Pete Waters repaired and built such units at his shop in Michigan. He moved to Florida some time ago and if hes still around may be still active. He would convert most any modern radio into single stick.

Now Radio South if I remember correctly does custom radio work you might contact them and they might be able to build or upgrade your radios. They might even be able to convert a more modern radio with more bells and whistles into a single stick if that would be of interest to you.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:42 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

It sounds like he doesn't want an external module, since his TX's don't have bays for them. The Frsky link only shows external modules, or an upgrade to one of their transmitters. I'm sure with disassembly and soldering (or cutting a hole in the case) they might be shoehorned in. Frsky used to make (long before the Taranis was a gleam in their eye) a Futaba FASST module that was popular with the Ace MicroPro/MicroStar crowd for updating their TX's. A lot depends on how the subject TX is designed (is the current board replaceable in the TX, or is it all on the same pcb, etc.), as well as the skill/tools to patch one in.
Aloft Hobbies had a project to create and sell an OpenTX single stick TX. Unknown status, but it may be worth a call.
Old 10-29-2023, 01:54 AM
modtron

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It sounds like he doesn't want an external module
Anything that is added can be called a "module" - does not mean it has to be external ....

modtron
​​​​​​​Oxford UK
Old 10-29-2023, 04:47 AM
tedsander

Originally Posted by modtron
Anything that is added can be called a "module" - does not mean it has to be external ....

modtron
Oxford UK
I discounted that one, as Frsky shows it as not available, and the receivers for it have been discontinued. So a "legacy" product he'd have to look for old stock, or used, to take advantage of....
Old 10-29-2023, 05:34 AM
jfcgnv

Thanks guys this is the kind of information I was wanting. I have several old Kraft. EK, Ace and Cannon Single stick TX's that are all single stick. I read that you could convert them to 2.4. . 8 years ago while at the Toledo show there was a merchant selling these internal universal modules. it was called "fly Dream" I bought one and installed it into one of my Cannon SS Grand Prix TX'x. It was an easy install just connect the three wires from the encoder and install the 2.4 antenna. It still works great however I only have one 4 channel RX that is "fly Dream" and also the channel sequence is weird. I had heard that aloft hobbies had one but their web site doesn't show it.
I was hoping that Futaba or JR had an internal module but it seems they don't.. Has anyone taken the guts out of one of external modules and put it internally into an old TX?
BTW the old Cannon with the Fly Dream still works. Bill Cannon, Pete Waters, and Tony Stillman are personal friends of mine, as you know Bill Cannon is deceased, Pete Waters is retired. and Tony is slowing down because of his AMA work.
Old 10-29-2023, 10:13 AM
tedsander

A big apology - I didn't read the description fully.
Aloft DOES have the "XHT" available ($40) AND from the specs above it is compatible with their "X" version receivers, which Aloft also has several versions available, along with their improved software installed.
Call first, to see if they have knowledge about how to patch it into the PPM signal from your radios. The Frsky instructions (as always) leave a lot to be desired about installation.

Long quiet site, but Gordon Anderson made a retrofit kit for the Ace Micropro transmitters (I built it), and there used to be a hot bed of discussion about upgrading them to 2.4. He may be able to provide "how to" contacts for at least the Ace radio.
http://mstar2k.com/index.php

Call Aloft about their single stick - they put a lot of work into it, but it never did make it to their site as a full offering. But they may still have a few.....

Last edited by tedsander; 10-29-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-03-2023, 12:12 PM
hellcat 1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This might help you make the connections if you can find a internal module. Sam
Old 11-04-2023, 05:30 AM
hellcat 1

Here is another article. I converted a 72 mhz to 2.4 using a Corona Module.

Old 11-04-2023, 08:19 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Interesting article. And no mention that the FCC requires a certain license to modify the RF section of a transmitter.
Old 11-04-2023, 12:23 PM
hellcat 1

Read the last article real close and it says you are not violating any FFC rules because you are not modifying the RF deck. All you are doing is providing the proper polarity of modulation to it.
Old 11-10-2023, 05:25 PM
GardenGate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I concur with the above - if you use Spektrum DSMX receivers, the LemonRX DIY module is nice and small and very easy to hook up. Get them direct from LemonRX or from BuddyRC.

The FrSky XHT DIY module is the equivalent for FrSky V- or D16 receivers, but I'm pretty sure they're out of production now. You can still get XJT module for JR-style bays, take the electronics out (the XHT is the same exact board just without a hard case), hook that up and mount it internally in your transmitter. Similarly, you can still find the older DJT module and take the electronics out of the case and use that with FrSky V- or D- receivers. Aloft Hobbies and HorusRC are your best bets for getting those.
Old 01-22-2024, 03:34 PM
RCoffroadracer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GardenGate
I concur with the above - if you use Spektrum DSMX receivers, the LemonRX DIY module is nice and small and very easy to hook up. Get them direct from LemonRX or from BuddyRC.

The FrSky XHT DIY module is the equivalent for FrSky V- or D16 receivers, but I'm pretty sure they're out of production now. You can still get XJT module for JR-style bays, take the electronics out (the XHT is the same exact board just without a hard case), hook that up and mount it internally in your transmitter. Similarly, you can still find the older DJT module and take the electronics out of the case and use that with FrSky V- or D- receivers. Aloft Hobbies and HorusRC are your best bets for getting those.
I tried that Lemon RX DIY module and it glitches too much for me to try to fly anything with it. it seems like it turns off for a millisecond and the servos move. it acts like it turns off and back on.
I got my hands on a ORX module from Hobbyking and it actually works fantastic. it has no glitching issues on the bench or doing an extended range check. I use the ppm out signal in Trainer mode. however it doesn't fit in my radio module bay. so I just use velcro. seems sketchy but I have flown several of my planes from Horizon. I like my futaba and didn't want to get a spektrum radio just for planes from Horizon. and I didn't want to have to buy a bunch of rip off priced Futaba receivers. and I know you're going to ask, No, the 2.4 module on the radio is actually turned off in trainer mode so it's not transmitting and causing interference. I can just unplug it from the back but i don't need to.

Last edited by RCoffroadracer; 01-22-2024 at 03:43 PM.