Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba MSA-10 and Hitec digitals

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 11:04 AM
aerobear
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba MSA-10 and Hitec digitals

Has anyone tried the MSA-10 (Futaba matchbox) with Hitec digitals, specifically the 5735? Yeah I know the Hitec's are programmable but I'm leery of running two 5735s on a Y harness and I'm out of channels otherwise. A custom Y could be made that bypasses power around the receiver, but I'm still leery of having to split the signal wire on a Y.

If you had success, what receiver did you use. I'm using the Futaba 149DP.
Thanks
Old 11-21-2003, 11:43 AM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Futaba MSA-10 and Hitec digitals

You might have your mind made up on the subject, but I'm not sure why your leery of 'Y'-connecting 2 servos. The Hitec digitals are no more sensitive to this configuration than any other servo. 'Y' connecting the servos does no measureable effect to the signal going to each servo. I'm sure if you ask the giant scale flyers you'll find that they routinely gang servos with 'Y' connections. Not all giant scale birds out there use matchboxes and/or multiple RXs. Your only concern should be sufficient battery power -- satisfied by using a larger battery than normal. Even if you are concerned about ganging them together because of the battery, you can isolate the battery from the RX, i.e., separate battery for the RX vs the servos.

If you still have concerns with Y-connecting servos you should consider using a second RX as a possible alternative -- just make sure you adequately isolate each RX so they do not interfer with each other's RF, i.e., mount them on opposite sides of the fuselage and run their antennas away from each other.

NOTE: The description of the Futaba MSA-10 on Tower Hobbies aludes to compatibility with other brand servos. (REQUIRES: Servos with Futaba J, Airtonics Z, or Hitec connectors.

BTW, here is a link to the MSA-10 PDF manual: http://www.futabarc.com/manuals/msa10-manual.pdf
Old 11-21-2003, 03:03 PM
aerobear

You might have your mind made up on the subject, but I'm not sure why your leery of 'Y'-connecting 2 servos. The Hitec digitals are no more sensitive to this configuration than any other servo.
I've heard stories to the contrary and seen first hand people having trouble with Hitec digitals on a y harness.

'Y' connecting the servos does no measureable effect to the signal going to each servo.
See above. What applies to other servos does not necessarily apply in this case. The signal wire on the Hitec digital is different than on other servos. It is also used to commincate with the programmer.

I'm sure if you ask the giant scale flyers
I am a giant scale flyer and well aware of the options available, except this one. I am hoping someone has first hand experience with the two pieces of equipment in question. If not then maybe I will plunk down the money and find out for myself, but that's not my first choice.

I'm sure if you ask the giant scale flyers you'll find that they routinely gang servos with 'Y' connections. Not all giant scale birds out there use matchboxes and/or multiple RXs. Your only concern should be sufficient battery power -- satisfied by using a larger battery than normal. Even if you are concerned about ganging them together because of the battery, you can isolate the battery from the RX, i.e., separate battery for the RX vs the servos.

If you still have concerns with Y-connecting servos you should consider using a second RX as a possible alternative -- just make sure you adequately isolate each RX so they do not interfer with each other's RF, i.e., mount them on opposite sides of the fuselage and run their antennas away from each other.

NOTE: The description of the Futaba MSA-10 on Tower Hobbies aludes to compatibility with other brand servos. (REQUIRES: Servos with Futaba J, Airtonics Z, or Hitec connectors.

BTW, here is a link to the MSA-10 PDF manual: http://www.futabarc.com/manuals/msa10-manual.pdf

Of course I had read the manual, thank you very much.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:03 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of getting an MSA10, is it better to invest in a Hitec servo programmer ? Just a thought.................Mike
Old 11-21-2003, 07:56 PM
aerobear

ORIGINAL: rajul

Instead of getting an MSA10, is it better to invest in a Hitec servo programmer ? Just a thought.................Mike
I do have the programmer, so yes, the MSA-10 or a matchbox seems dumb. Basically the MSA-10 would be used as an expensive y harness in the hope that it would eliminate any funny business seen with a regular y harnesnes and Hitec digitals. It also conveniently provides power to the servos without running extra current through the receiver. Even if I do end up using a regular y, it will be set up to bypass the receiver bus.

I don't have any more receiver slots to use so I need a y, a second receiver or an MSA-10 or similar device. The y or second receiver both have small potential for problems. Just wondering if anyone has tried the MSA-10 with Hitec digitals.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:04 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As an alternative to MSA. try the smartfly equalizer http://www.smart-fly.com/index.html I am not sure about the cost comparison