Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR Faling apart

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 02:17 AM
canadianice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR Faling apart

I am not here to trash JR but I am wondering if any else out here is having the same trouble as I? That is the little plastic stand offs that hold your circut boards and such inside the radio are falling apart, and the insides of my radio are moving arround! The program buttons do not work any more as the plastic bits that hold them have broken too, switchs the same. I can only reason that the plastic used is no good and or too weak. I like my JR and have 7 receivers, that is my problem. I have to stick with JR as you know Futaba is not compatiable and I dont want to loose all the money I have tied up in receivers. Anyone know if they have fixed this problem. I have not abused this radio in any means as to have caused it to fall apart from the inside out. Also the screws that hold the halves together are no longer there as the plastic that they went into broke as well. For such an expensive radio it sure dont look too good anymore held toghther with tape. It still works fine[except fo programing] but am getting tired of all the coments as to weather I should be using it or not.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:52 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: JR Faling apart

Did someone run over your Tx with a truck ?
Old 04-06-2004, 06:54 AM
Zpat
My Feedback: (2)

This is usually a result of throwing the transmitter to the ground in a fit of rage after your airplane falls out of the sky.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:59 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think that a lot of the plastic used in these radios is ABS[:'(]
i have two airtronics module7SP radios with crumbling gimbal assemblies...one of the sticks actually collapsed during a flight. all metal ball bearing gimbals from now on

dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17636.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	119325  
Old 04-06-2004, 08:02 PM
codimasta
My Feedback: (89)

I suggest that you send it to the Service Dept at Horizon....They are the greatest bunch of guys when it comes to making their product good. Download the return invoice online at Horizon Service center....Explain the problem, they will get in touch with you and retify the problem. They have always done me right, and tend to go out of their way to help....

Larry
AMA 11269
Old 04-07-2004, 08:34 PM
Mac_Man_UK

Has any fuel or other contaminant got in there ? The only cases I have come across with this type of problem have had fuel ingress.
I have had the full range of JR Transmitters come onto my bench, some of them 20 odd years old and out of them all, only a couple have shown this problem.

[8D]
Old 04-09-2004, 02:19 AM
pache11
My Feedback: (6)

Fuel contamination will destroy the plastic. As will any freon, or cfc-based cleaners. I have also seen this type of plastic degredation when tuner cleaner has been used on the poteniometers on the gimbals.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:48 AM
CurtD
My Feedback: (1)

You don't mention what model and age your transmitter is. I have a 622 of around 94-95 vintage that did what you describe after several years of use. The plastic became extremely brittle and fragile, actually crumbling to the point where I had to tape the front and back halves together. This is the only transmitter I've ever had to do that so I suspect JR had a run of transmitter cases for their lower end units that had very poor grade resins. My 652 and 8103 have gotten intensive use but I've not had the slightest problem with the cases or gimballs.

Several other folks in our club here in NW Ga have reported similar experiences with the 622 transmitter. The rec seems to be fine.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:01 AM
marked23

I once had a flashlight that was made of plastic. After some time in a harsh environment it simply crumbled apart in my hands. My guess is that it was either a bad batch of plastic, or something about harsh environment I kept it in reacted badly with the plastic.

Since other people's JRc aren't falling apart inside, I'm guessing that, in your case, it was just a bad batch of plastic. Horizon service would find it a trivial matter to remount your electronics, etc into a brand new case.

-Mark