Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Mode change, old Airtronics

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 10:58 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mode change, old Airtronics

Hi, I want to change my old Mode 1 Vanguard 6-channel to Mode 2. The purpose is just to use it as a buddy box, with my other old Vanguard 6-channel.

I managed to get the ratchet swapped to the left stick, and the centering spring & lever swapped to the right side. Poked around a bit at the wires, and decided to inquire here, before I dig farther. Anybody done this, on an old Airtronics Vanguard VG6DR ?

Thanks,
Dave Olson
Old 07-12-2004, 01:54 AM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mode change, old Airtronics

Since most tx's start off as Mode 2 and are changed to Mode 1, chances are that you don't need to do anything else. The actual M2 to M1 took place at the receiver, where the throttle and elevator servo outputs reversed.
Nothing will be damaged if you plug things together and try it - in the worst case I will be wrong and you will have throttle on elevator and vice versa, but no electronic problems will occur.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:34 AM
Scar

Oh, I checked first. With the Mode 2 transmitter on and functioning, all 6 channels work as assigned. The Mode 1 transmitter, plugged in as the slave transmitter, controls throttle with the right stick, and elevator with the left stick. At first, I was thinking about learning to use Mode 1 with this setup, and having a friend handle the Mode 2 box. I have dismissed the idea of learning Mode 1, and just want to use this transmitter as a buddy box, to let friends have a little fun with my 100" Corsair.

Thanks for the thought, though.
Dave Olson
Old 07-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Scar

Again, I've hooked this old Mode 1 VG6DR (as a buddy box) to my other old VG6Dr, which is on Mode 2, and everything works. The slave Mode 1 box controls throttle with the right stick and elevator with the left stick. I want to modify the Mode 1 box so it controls throttle with left stick, elevator with right stick, and works that way as a buddy box, too.

I managed to swap the throttle ratchet to the left stick, and the centering spring setup to the right stick, and want to make the circuitry change. I don't immediately see anything easy or quick to swap.

Can someone advise me?

Thanks,
Dave Olson
Old 07-15-2004, 09:16 PM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,

You need to swap the wires from the elevator and throttle gimbal pots. There are three wires from each pot. Just unsolder them and move to the other pot and resolder. Pay attention to the order and solder them to the correct locations. This will complete the change of location of the controls.

You also need to look and see if the throttle gimble (right stick in Mode 1) has limited travel verses the elevator gimbal. The Futaba transmitters that I own have less travel in the throttle stick. I don't know if Airtronics limits the travel like Futaba, but if so you will have to see what is used to limit the travel and make adjustments (move parts from the throttle gimbal to the elevator (Mode 1)) so the buddy box and the main transmitter have the same travel on the corresponding sticks. If they are different, the throttle will have more travel and that may cause problems (if the buddy box has more travel in the throttle and it is pulled back to idle, the engine may quit due to the extra travel. the elevator would have less travel on the buddy box though this may not present much of a problem).

George
Old 07-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Scar

Thanks George.

The Airtronics people say to swap the wires on the gimbal pots, and same for the trim pots. Even then, I may have to send it in to get the zeros right. I guess I'll try it, but this is going on the back burner for now.

Dave Olson