Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

whats the difference from regular and digital servos

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 01:20 PM
wmrcer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the difference from regular and digital servos

Old 11-03-2005, 01:55 PM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: whats the difference from regular and digital servos

In my opinion digital servos cost 3 to 5 times more than regular and unless you are into
competition and are a precision pilot you can't tell the difference and its not worth the difference
in price.
Digital servos move is small digital steps and recieve full battery voltage even to move just
one step. They hold thier position better because they use full voltage to do so. Digital servos
require larger on-board batteries as they use more power just trying to keep centered. They
make a buzzing sound when sitting idle.

Regular (or analog) servos use smaller voltages to move and hold thier position. They don't
center quite as tightly as digital servos do.

That, in simple terms is the difference....in my opinion.
Bob
Old 11-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can tell the difference in the air, at least I usually can. Digitals center better, although so do the higher priced coreless servos. The main thing is the holding power. As has been mentioned, just a small amount of movement will get you full torque, whereas an analog servo may take up to 20 degrees of movement before full torque comes in for holding a control in place. I like them especially on rudder on fun fly and 3D planes.

If you can tell when you have a worn servo that doesn't center or trim as well as a new one, you'll be able to tell. I do admit that most people have a lot of fun flying the low priced, standard servos and don't worry about a little out of trim condition or the fact that the ailerons don't center the same from different directions.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:32 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Digital servos offer a tigher deadband and higher refresh rate (300 times per second vs 30) thus producing greater holding torque. Power consumption is about 15 -20% greater in most cases.

Pilots of average to above average skill will be able to tell the difference when flying high performance planes.

I don't agree with the analogy that they are 3-5 times more expensive unless you compare them to basic standard servos that would not be recommended in most applications where you would use a digital servo anyway. For example... the Hitec 645MG typically sells for about $40 where the digital version 5645MG sells for $55. That's roughly 40%, not 300% -500% more. These are good servos for most sport application, where a higher caliber pilot flying a high end model should opt for a coreless motor product like the 5945MG or at the highest level, the Titanium geared 5955TG that put's out 333in/oz of torque. Granted these servos do cost more, but are worth the extra money due to thier durability when stressed to the limits.

Mike.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:06 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's an article for your reference
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84105.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	348566  
Old 11-05-2005, 09:15 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Digital Servos are faster, More Torque, More reliable, Programable (hitec, which is the only brand I buy)
and give you a more authority over a plane in the air.

If you fly aerobatic aircraft and like doing 3-d manuevers, then you will see a big difference with digital servos, specially coreless digitals.
If you fly sport and warbirds, then you will not really see a difference.

Digitals are good for aerobatics, if you don't intend on doing this, then stick to non digitals. So I guess it depends on the application... which can be said for many things, e.g. aerobatic planes use light ultracote/monokote with very light high power-to-weight ratio engines. While warbirds use fiberglassing, paint, and generally fairly heavy engines for more scale flight.