Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Can the new generation of computer radios do this ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Can the new generation of computer radios do this ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 03:39 PM
yclui
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the new generation of computer radios do this ?

Hi Guys,

I am wondering if there are any radio transmitters out there that allows the user to program the mapping between the control slot number and the control function. My old ( 10 years + ) JR computer radios have got the following slot assignment :

Slot 1: Throttle
Slot 2: Aileron
Slot 3: Elevator
Slot 4: Rudder

As I am flying sailplanes, the throttle / gear controls are useless to me but I do need the AUX1 control very often as most of my sailplanes have seperate servo for each aileron. That means the receivers I use must support no less than 6 channels ( Thro, Ail, Elev, Rudd, Gear, AUX1 ) and this requirement has been restricting my choice of receivers.

What I would like to have is a radio transmitter that allows me to swap the AUX1 and throttle control slot at the so that I can use a 4-ch receiver in the following manner :

Slot 1: AUX1

Is this supported by the new generation of computer radio transmitters ?

Thanks in advance ,

Y C Lui
Old 12-24-2002, 04:22 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think what you are looking for is an Airtronics Stylus with a Glider card.
http://www.airtronics.net/Aircraft_Stylus_Z.htm

I dont fly gliders, but I have a Stylus with the aero card. It is great.
Old 12-24-2002, 05:02 PM
Thud_Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Mixer

What he wants is a Tx that provides a dual aileron mixer output into the first four output channels without losing normal elev/rud. Result = can use four channel Rx (4 servo outputs only) without buying new receivers. This is very Tx specific.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:25 PM
mecam
My Feedback: (3)

Default Re: Can the new generation of computer radios do this ?

Originally posted by yclui
Hi Guys,
What I would like to have is a radio transmitter that allows me to swap the AUX1 and throttle control slot at the so that I can use a 4-ch receiver in the following manner :

Slot 1: AUX1

Is this supported by the new generation of computer radio transmitters ?

Thanks in advance ,
Y C Lui
The answer is a Futaba 9ZWC2.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:09 PM
Dyehard

Even though I like my 9Z very much, I don't think that will work. You can assign any function to any control in the tranmitter, but the reciever slots are fixed. Some (possibly all, ask Harry C) Multiplex radios have that ability, the Graupner MC24 may also have it.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:10 PM
olivier

Hi,

Radio that can do that and much more customised stuff that YOU want :
Multiplex of course : MC3010, 3030, 4000 and the new Royal Evo.

With those radios you have a complete freedom of your channel assignments.

If I make no mistakes, also Graupner MC22 and 24 can.

Radios that don't :
-Futaba FF8/UAP8, FF7/UAP7, FC18, FX14, FX18 and probably also
not the FF9/9C.
-Hitec Flash 4/5 and Ecclipse
-Graupner MC10-12-14-15, probably also MC16-17-18-20

But of course if price is not important, the 9ZAP or other 9W... is a choice.
If quality is more important and the look/design less, go for the Multiplex 3030, which is an excellent bargain at actual low prices due to the newcomer EVO of the same brand.

Olivier
Old 12-24-2002, 08:13 PM
SDespot

The Multiplex Profi mc 3030 is the right set for you. Look at the review at http://www.rc-soar.com and find out why. If your plane has separate aileron servos then you could mix in spoiler and/or flaps.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:15 PM
Thud_Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Stylus

I don't think a Stylus will get it, at least not elegantly. Looking at my manuals for the Acro card, you can mix aileron to the throttle channel via a C-Mix, but I don't see any way to turn the throttle stick off, other than go to throttle EPA's of 0% maybe. Could be that's acceptable. Otherwise Stylus does all the dual aileron stuff to channels 2 & 7 (receiver slots 2 & 7) which defeats what he wants to do.

An interesting problem. For this application, I'd look for a cheaper radio first.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:32 PM
SDespot

With the MPX 3030 you can assign any stick (or a switch!) to any control (rudder, elev. ail.) so you are not limited to "mode" I, II, whatever...
Then you assign a control to any servo/s and that's it. For four servos ship you need a four channel receiver no matter which job those servos have to do. With 99 model memories, 9 channels, 7 predefined and 3 free mixers you can fly any ship you want.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:50 PM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

I'd second the MPX choice! You can download the EVO manual at:

http://royalhobby.com/ROYALevo1GB.pdf

and see how it works. I really like the ability to define everything on the MPX's; downside is the cost (other than the great deal on the 3030 that's running now).

You can also consider looking into BERG 5 ch DSP micro receivers, which have ch 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 only.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:09 PM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

What do you mean can the "new generation" radios do this?!! Multiplex has been doing it for at least ten years. Yet still today, there is not one Japanese radio that can do this. If you have 2 aileron servos just tell a Multiplex that channels 1 and 2 are aileron, and that is all there is to it. It is SO easy! You just tell a multiplex transmitter in what sequence the controls are to appear at the receiver, and a control can appear at the receiver as many times as you want without the need to do mixing of channels and disabling of other mixed controls on those channels. Or it can be channels 2 and 4, or whatever you want. And because both channels have been assigned directly to the aileron control without mixers getting in the way, things like differential are automatically worked out for you by the Tx, the aileron trims work on all servos and so on. To have 4 aileron servos, 6 aileron servos, or 2 elevator or 2 rudder servos is just as easy.

Harry
Old 12-24-2002, 10:18 PM
HarryC

Originally posted by SDespot
With the MPX 3030.....3 free mixers
Three free mixers sounds very poor compared to a Japanese radio. For those who do not know Multiplex, you need to be aware that a Multiplex mixer is nothing like the master-slave mixers you have seen on a Japanese radio. I managed to make 6 different mixes all running at the same time, within one free mixer on my 3030. I never needed to use the other two!

Harry
Old 12-24-2002, 10:24 PM
SDespot

Sometimes I wonder why Japanese engineers don't look at what MPX is doing. Is it really so hard to understand that that's the way the programming of a Tx should look like?
Old 12-24-2002, 10:46 PM
HarryC

The Japanese make radios to suit their main customer, America. Multiplex has not made a serious attempt to become a major player in the American market. Therefore the Japanese feel no competition, so there is no commercial pressure on them to change.

Harry
Old 12-25-2002, 03:02 AM
dasmith232

You asked *can* it be done... Yes, it can. The more informative question might be: *how* to do it. Here's an example of how to do it. (I fly JR, so the example is biased accordingly.)

The "travel adjust" function determines how the physical control (gimbal or knob) translates into the radio's internal data. By setting the "travel adjust" for a particular control (like the throttle stick) that control will no longer have any influence on the output value (that goes to the receiver).

Separately, you can set up a "mix" or "mixer" to "copy" a value into any other channel. For example, you could set a mixer from channel 2 (aileron) into channel 1 (throttle) at a value of (probably) -100%. Now, the throttle stick has no effect, but the aileron data is sent to channels 2 and 1 appropriately.

However, there are some limitations. Some of the "extra" features of the radio are restricted to particular channels. For example, "aileron differential" and the "snap roll" do their thing *after* the mixers have done theirs. So if you want to have the (whatever, rudder) channel copy over to another channel even when you hit the snap roll switch, it won't work. Similarly, the aileron differential will not work in the above example for most JR radios.

With all this having been said, this may just be the example you're looking for to go with Multiplex. However, if the question is simply can it be done? Then sure, it can be done like this (or similarly) for JR, Futaba, Airtronics, etc.

Dave.
Old 12-25-2002, 04:21 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep--one more for Multiplex
Old 12-25-2002, 02:28 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Computer mixing

Don't let the brand snobs sway your decision, any good computer radio with a P-mix (proportional mixer) will do what you want to do, just mix the Tx control you want into the Rx control that you want controlled.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:35 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's how I did it using my 9CAP:

Set up a free mix of Aileron - Throttle. Set it at 100% to have equal throws.

Set up a second free mix of Throttle - Throttle. Set it at -100% in both directions.

Now you can have your second aileron servo move using your aileron stick, and the second servo will not change in relation to any throttle stick movement. Differential can be controlled with adjusting the Throttle EPA. Any radio with a couple free mixes can do this. On the 9C you can activate trim with the mix, so aileron trim will work both servos.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:28 AM
HarryC

Originally posted by Flyfalcons
Here's how I did it using my 9CAP:
Set up a free mix of Aileron - Throttle. Set it at 100% to have equal throws.
Set up a second free mix of Throttle - Throttle. Set it at -100% in both directions.

Aileron differential can be controlled with adjusting the Throttle EPA.
All that just to have a second aileron servo, which you have to adjust with throttle parameters! Thank you for demonstrating yet again that Multiplex software architecture is much better.

Harry
Old 01-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Multiplex is to the Word processor as the others are to the typewriter.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:14 PM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Can the new generation of computer radios do this ?

i'm not saying go this way but there are some higher end radios like the futaba 14mz that has free channel mapping. you could program any channel to any stick or switch. Although it would make your plane completely unco0ntrolable it is possible to map all controls of every channel to the same stick or switch. the problem is the price of the radio. maybe the 8fg has this feature Im not sure. check into any radio that has complete channel mapping doesnt have to be any brand. and again as stated above any radio with a couple mixes can do this. just one of many ways to go at it.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:33 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Multiplex is a great radio. You can assign any control to any channel you wish.
Now if they would just write a manual you can understand.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:49 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

what decade is this?
Old 09-16-2012, 01:27 PM
DougV

RCCRAZEDMAN,

Today, the 8FG can do this no problem, but back in 2002 that was a different story.

Doug.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:14 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

WOW, talk about resurrecting an old thread...

Yes, the DX10T and DX18 can do this as well.

Andy