Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Life expectancy of receiver

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life expectancy of receiver

Barring any kind of crash, do you guys have a time limit on how long you'll use a receiver in a gas powered plane? Does the vibration eventually get to it and weaken some of the components? Reason I ask is I've got several receivers with well over 1000 flights in gas planes and I'm starting to get some glitches that I just can't nail down. I'm using regular ppm stuff, not pcm..........
Old 08-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: Life expectancy of receiver

The tuning cans in the receiver are not immune to vibration. You could send it back and have it retuned.

Dr.1
Old 08-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Nogyro

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

The tuning cans in the receiver are not immune to vibration. You could send it back and have it retuned.

Dr.1
I'm trying to hold off until winter to pack everything up and send it in. I've just had some glitching that I can't seem to nail down. Swapped out different receivers, changed some servos etc. Just rather un-nerving if you know what I mean. I may go 6 flights without a glitch, then all of sudden I'll get 2 or 3 quick ones, then nothing again. I've done all the usual stuff, checked linkages, switches, etc. This is on a 28%/ RC Ignition 62 plane with over 500 flights on it............[:@] Been flying gas for 5 or 6 years so it's not like I'm new to this stuff..........
Old 08-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Dr1Driver

You may want to check all your connectors and your switch.

Dr.1
Old 08-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Nogyro

Yep, I've found dirty connectors before.........not this plane though. Sometimes it can be like hunting for a needle in a hay stack.[8D]
Old 08-24-2006, 01:03 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you for sure its the receiver? i have a hitec supreme thats at least twleve years old
i have sent it in only once to have the antenna replaced.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:53 AM
Dr1Driver

Intermittent interference can be extremely hard to track down. All I can suggest is to change one thing at a time. If that doesn't eliminate it, change it back and try something else.

Hmmm...gas engine, huh? Resistor plug or wire gone bad, maybe?

Dr.1
Old 08-24-2006, 06:08 AM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: Nogyro

Barring any kind of crash, do you guys have a time limit on how long you'll use a receiver in a gas powered plane? Does the vibration eventually get to it and weaken some of the components? Reason I ask is I've got several receivers with well over 1000 flights in gas planes and I'm starting to get some glitches that I just can't nail down. I'm using regular ppm stuff, not pcm..........
250hours on my trainer and still going strong.

I guess they would suffer some sort of vibration induced fatigue but it probably take quite a while to induce. I might do a trawl through US MIL-HDBK-217F to figure out what the derating is for electronic components in a vibration rich environment. Given todays reliability figures it's unlikely the derating would be sufficient to be noticable to the average user.....however, electronics has a way of failing unpredictably sometimes.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Properly shock mounted and kept clean, there is no reason that a receiver shouldn't work for many years, some of mine are close to 15 years old and still going strong. Now everything can fail so there is no guarantee. Xtals are especially subject to shock failures and there are two in most dual conversion receivers. I believe that is what causes most failures although very high currents through the power bus (shorted servos etc.) can cause problems.