Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

dirty receiver with short range

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 09:38 AM
badykstra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dirty receiver with short range

I have a jr135 3 channel receiver. very dirty and very short range. I took it apart and brushed the dirt off the circuit board. the board is still very dirty. what is a good way to clean this? Is this even a cause of range problems?

thanks for your help
Old 09-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: dirty receiver with short range

I doubt if the dirt is causing range problems but it is symptomatic, if the former owner neglected it that much who knows what else happened to it. You can clean it by taking it out of the case and (using a soft bristled brush) clean with denatured alchohol being careful to not damage any leads or disturbing any coil windings. Check the connectors carefully, if they are corroded (usually a greenish colored debris on them) it may be beyond salvaging as this is an insulating type of corrosion that will definately make a high resistance contact. It is more likely that the short range is due to a cracked crystal (there are two of them in the receiver-one to change channel assignment and the other to mix for the IF frequency and unchangeble and/or unrepairable under normal circomstances). A new receiver costs lots less than a new airplane.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:12 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: dirty receiver with short range

On your last statement, really. New receivers are so cheap as to not make it worthwhile to repair them unless they are top of the line PCM receivers.

On the other hand, the second "crystal" in many receivers is a 455 KHz ceramic resonator. These are not damaged easily and even if they are, they are inexpensive to replace.

Frankly, unless the IF transformer is filled with dirt, I'd just brush it off as best as I could with a soft brush and borrow a crystal from someone just to see if it is still working. If the tuning is out, that could be a terrific learning experience trying to repeak it. Do NOT fly until you acquire the minimum range check for that system.