Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Power for strobe lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 04:28 PM
dany_maia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power for strobe lights

Hi.
Can I power my flashing strobe lights (the Ripmax ones) directly from a channel of the receiver (they are 4.8V too)? Will it cause any interference or other problem?
I ask this because I read it in this site somewhere that it causes interference but I made this and it seems not affecting any servos, at least at close range. I have not flown the plane yet!

Thanks in advance:
Daniel Maia
Old 03-21-2003, 09:48 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Daniel if your system is intended for extra scale points then that is one thing however if your intent is to actually night fly then any form of winking, blinking or flashing lights are a very bad idea. They are very effective vertigo inducers. Have flown many night events and displays over the years and flashing lights have been responsible for many lost aircraft.

John
Old 03-21-2003, 10:05 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like John said so well , the non flashing type lights will tax your superhuman abilities to a far lesser degree.

Also ,while you probably will have no ill effects from shared power it is a good idea to limit exposure to problems by using a separate source to power the added lighting.
Any short or component failure in the lighting circuit could cause the battery supply to the receiver and servos to become too low for safe operation.
' While a component failure in the RC system could have the same affect ,the RC system is essential . It would be a pity if a failure in a non essential device caused a loss. It is best to minimize exposure by simply adding an extra pack,

In the end it is up to you to weigh costs in weight ,space ,dollars and complexity against added reliability. Just some pointers to help you decide.

Very Best,
EllEff