Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Futaba Heat issue? and you guys thought i was nutz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba Heat issue? and you guys thought i was nutz

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 09:56 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Futaba Heat issue? and you guys thought i was nutz

sorry, but this is hilarious,...................case of the dots!!!

http://vimeo.com/2668334?pg=embed&sec=2668334
Old 12-31-2008, 11:08 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Futaba Heat issue? and you guys thought i was nutz

If I remember correctly there were some people asking about the white dots that
was begain to show up receivers and no one not even Futaba USA knew anything
about the dots, The fact that Futaba has been so hush about the heat issue has
always had me thinking they knew more than they would admit to.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Robbidos
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone has to remember, its not Futaba that says or denies anything, it is Hobbico here in the US. The only contact we, as customers, have is essentially Bax and Krysta. There appears to be NO real communication going on between Hobbico (exclusive US importer and likely largest importer) and Futaba. Whether that is by Futaba's design, or Hobbico's lack of caring, I'll leave that to you to decide.

If the 6014 has been silently updated and Hobbico knew about it, that was monumentally stupid on their part as I would have already purchased 2 new receivers. If they didn't know, then, oh well. I am playing the waiting game till I find out for sure.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Robbidos

Everyone has to remember, its not Futaba that says or denies anything, it is Hobbico here in the US. The only contact we, as customers, have is essentially Bax and Krysta. There appears to be NO real communication going on between Hobbico (exclusive US importer and likely largest importer) and Futaba. Whether that is by Futaba's design, or Hobbico's lack of caring, I'll leave that to you to decide.

If the 6014 has been silently updated and Hobbico knew about it, that was monumentally stupid on their part as I would have already purchased 2 new receivers. If they didn't know, then, oh well. I am playing the waiting game till I find out for sure.

I think you do not fully understand the relationship. Hobbico personnel are bound by the contract taht Hobbico has with FUtaba as to what they can say or do. Futaba is a very tight lipped company and they typically do not share information openly. Futaba controls what can be said, so many times as much as Hobbico would like to share more, they simply cannot.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:46 PM
Robbidos

Maybe. I don't really know for sure. How would you know what is in the import contract that Hobbico has with Futaba Japan? You an insider? What I can surmize is that Hobbico, likely being the largest importer, should be able to exert more pressure on Futaba to get answers quicker, force product changes, etc. Very much the same way it seems Horizon does with JR.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:43 PM
SManMTB

It's a good thing Futaba seems to have corrected the problem(s). I whish they would do the same for us car guys that got 'hosed' by the FASST Rx overheating and then met with silence and ridicule.
Anyone know if there are a 'Rev.B' of the 603FS/FF receivers out?
Old 12-31-2008, 03:13 PM
plugin

Who on earth needs a receiver that will work at 100°C?? Water boils at this temperature.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Robbidos

100C is a safety thing. 60C (140F) is too low. I believe JR receivers are certified to 85C (185F). Here in Phoenix, the ambient temperature can exceed 120F, and if you have a black asphalt runway, the temps on it can exceed 140F (60C). Even keeping the plane in the shade, bringing it out to start on the asphalt. What if you have a problem starting it. 2-3 minutes there and you are at the failure point of the receiver. Plus, its never been a problem in ANY previous receiver from Futaba or JR that I know of. So for Futaba to not admit a problem and dismiss it with different installation guidelines is pure stupidity.

I still fly it (FASST R6014FS) and haven't had a problem so far, but I can certainly duplicate it under normal flying conditions here in Phoenix without too much trouble. I take my plane out to the fight line last (after starter and other stuff), and know if I don't get it started pretty quickly, that I need to return to the shade, troubleshoot from there and try again.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:02 PM
SManMTB

Just like Robbidos said, it's a safety thing. It's not a matter of 'needing' a Rx that works at 100C. 85C rating is reasonable and most comercial grade components are rated to this.

Something crapping out at 50C (122F) is way too low. In cars the Rx box is usually located close to the engine (1/8 scale buggies) and getting above 122F in there on a hot day (90-100F ambient) is not uncommon.
I know all the flyers in here are going to jump in and say that the Rx compartment can be ventilated and so on. Sure, that's true but a serious drawback of this would be all the dirt and grime getiing in there. Not good.

The old 75MHz JR equipment I had never had this issue. It ran fine in the same car and under the same conditions as the FASST Rx without problems.
Hopefully Futaba will offer some kind of 'service pack' or low cost upgrade option. As of now I'm trying to sell the 3ch FASST system but the market is ice cold due to this known issue. I have no big hopes for this and I suspect my FASST equipment will remain an expensive paper-weight and lesson learned.

I'm now using the Futaba 3PKS with Spektrum equipment.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:03 PM
summerwind

the test shows us that something has been changed, but i doubt any of the 617's have ever been an issue. none of my Rx's have dots, and none of them have given one bit ot trouble.
i do believe i was unlucky enough to get a defective 6014 because it failed at way less than 50C.
kinda hard on Hobbico to explain the dots as they'd probably have a mad rush of returns like Walmart shoppers who buy new items, replace the contents with a used item of same merchandise and then return them to the store..................i know this how?
i bought a new golf cart once, got home and found a used one in the box.........even have the grass in the wheels from it's last use.........the return desk doesn't check sealed boxes.

i'm sure Tower is smarter than this
Old 12-31-2008, 09:59 PM
JoeBagOfDonuts

ORIGINAL: summerwind
I wouldn't bet on that.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:04 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: summerwind

the test shows us that something has been changed, but i doubt any of the 617's have ever been an issue. none of my Rx's have dots, and none of them have given one bit ot trouble.
i do believe i was unlucky enough to get a defective 6014 because it failed at way less than 50C.
kinda hard on Hobbico to explain the dots as they'd probably have a mad rush of returns like Walmart shoppers who buy new items, replace the contents with a used item of same merchandise and then return them to the store..................i know this how?
i bought a new golf cart once, got home and found a used one in the box.........even have the grass in the wheels from it's last use.........the return desk doesn't check sealed boxes.

I think you can only return something for refund for a limited time after purchase
most places 30 days not sure about Tower but I doubt its much longer.
For Hobbico to explain the dots I dont think will cause them to have to replace
that many receivers because most will be sent to the repair center and then
returned to the customer.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:35 AM
summerwind

thing is, someone can buy a new 617,608 or god forbid a 6014, slip their old one in the box and keep the new one, while sending the used back as a refund all within a 30 day period.
it all has to do with what people read on these boards. of course Hobbico could careless about the poor Futaba users who don't use the net, so maybe this is one time it'll bite 'em in the butt.
a lot of trouble to do this, but there are lotsa guys who wouldn't blink an eye to do it.

naturally my posting this might (if someone has half a brain) give Tower a heads up to watch out for this type of activity.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:03 PM
canavanbob

And you thought dougv was nutz when he reported the problem. The title of this thread cracks me up! The guys that thought you were nutz still do. We all new about the problem before you had your problem.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Thanks for posting the 617 video link here - I see the reviewer also has tested the 608 receiver. Of the 3 608s I have, the 2 non-dotted receivers are in my jet models, and the dotted 608 is in a prop model. Perhaps I need to do some receiver swaps in the near future, just to be more conservative. I DID order another 608 from Tower today (before seeing this thread)... I hope now it is a dotted receiver (assuming no clarifications will be coming from Futaba forum).
I wonder if this also goes for my nondotted 6014 receiver. I'll hold off on the second one now to see if THEY become dotted...

Regarding my Sept 08 post:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7974365/tm.htm