Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Prortable RX

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:05 PM
seatec
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prortable RX

Am i alone when i get sticker shock everytime i look at buying another Rx for a new model? Yes, you could move RX's back and forth bewteen models but would'nt it be great to have sort of a base costing $20 that has a cradle and antennae attached that you can mount in your models and then just have one expensive RX unit that you can just click into the base of any model you wish to fly? Especially wiht the new 2.4 technology this should be very do-able don't you think?

Old 01-08-2009, 05:08 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Prortable RX

You're simply not shopping around enough.

I'm a big fan of the 72Mhz FM GWS RD8SL 8-channel dual conversion full range receiver. It's shift selectable and will work with JR/Airtronics transmitters as well as Hitec/Futaba/Tower transmitters. Hobby City sells these for $24.99 each, with GWS OEM dual conversion crystals available for $3.99 additional.

I fly the RD8SL in my King Kobra with my 72Mhz Futaba 7CAF, and it's flown glitch-free for over a year now. I had to replace a Futaba R127DF receiver that failed a range check in my Model Tech Magic Formula 3D, and that RD8SL has also performed flawlessly.

My flying buddy Fred (frednjess here on RCU) has flown his Thunder Tiger Imagine 50 pattern ship with the RD8SL for over a year, and with no glitches at three different fields. He's also flown his Great Planes 1/3 scale Pitts with Fuji/Imvac gas engine with the RD8SL with no problems.

I trust this $24.99 receiver more than I trust Futaba R127DFs. I've had two of the Futaba receivers fail on me in the last couple of seasons. I consider the GWS RD8SL equal in quality and reliability to the superb Hitec Supreme IIS receiver, which is readily available from most anywhere for $39.99 plus crystal.

As for 2.4Ghz systems, they're getting more price competitive as well. I picked the Airtronics RDS8000 in large part because extra receivers were priced similarly to what JR or Futaba charges for 8-channel FM receivers and crystals. The Airtronics 92824 8-channel full range 2.4Ghz receiver is only $79.99 before discounts while Futaba gets around $73 for the R168DF w/ crystal.

Spektrum now offers full range 5-channel and 6-channel DSM2 receivers in a similar ($59 to $79) price range. Hopefully Futaba will figure out that folks would rather not have to spend $100 for a full range receiver for their trainer or basic sport plane and will join in offering a more budget-concious full range FASST receiver.

There are very inexpensive 2.4Ghz radio systems available ($29.99 for TX and RX; $15 for additonal receivers), but these are designed for limited range indoor/park flying. I'd sure hate to be the first guy to try one of these systems on a .40-size sport plane.

More budget 2.4Ghz full range receivers are expected to come to market, and there will definitely be significant product announcements in a couple of months at the Toledo "Weak Signals" expo. Airtronics is expected to display their new 6-channel and 7-channel 2.4Ghz receivers as well as their new SD-10G 10-channel 2.4Ghz radio system and their upgrade module for Airtronics Stylus radio systems.

If you're still flying FM, just start loading up on RD8SL receivers and crystals. If you want to go with 2.4Ghz radio systems, both Spektrum/JR and Airtronics are offering receiver options that are as affordable as most good full range 72Mhz FM options.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:45 PM
seatec

Holy Cow. you sure did your homework un-like me. lol.
I just recenlty converted to 2.4 with a Fut. 12z radio and need a minimum 8 channle for heli. $80 bux is still steep but doable. Thanks for the info
Old 01-09-2009, 09:22 AM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: seatec

Holy Cow. you sure did your homework un-like me. lol.
I just recenlty converted to 2.4 with a Fut. 12z radio and need a minimum 8 channle for heli. $80 bux is still steep but doable. Thanks for the info
Did you go with a Futaba FASST or a Spektrum DSM2 module to upgrade your 12Z? Futaba has a solid 2.4Ghz lineup, but the cost of extra receivers is definitely harsh!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:25 AM
bfreee

That would really be doable. I think what he's saying is he'd like to see a base piece that holds all the servo wires & switch wires plugged in so you simply snapped the "base" unit in the model without having to fiddle with the antennae (not an issue on 2.4) and servo plugging in & out.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:49 PM
seatec

I went with the FASST system and love it so far.

Bfree. thats aceactly what i was trying to suggest. a system where the base has the jacks for the servo's and power and just snap in the RX part. That would be cool.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:48 PM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: bfreee

That would really be doable. I think what he's saying is he'd like to see a base piece that holds all the servo wires & switch wires plugged in so you simply snapped the "base" unit in the model without having to fiddle with the antennae (not an issue on 2.4) and servo plugging in & out.
I understood basically what seatec was suggesting, I was simply trying to point out that falling receiver prices make it impracticle. You only need such a device for high end servers, and I can't imagine that Futaba would be anxious to release a product that would cut down on the sale of high end receivers.