Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:14 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

When you people received your A9, was the receiver plugged into the switch?
I bought mine from Tower and thought it was odd that the switch was plugged into the receiver when I received the radio. The coupon was also missing. All I got was the instruction manual with a decal sheet.
Why is there a 4 AA cell battery holder with the radio. Receiver pack?

Greg
Old 02-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi
From what I understand the coupon is suppose to be in the manual , in between the pages .
Old 02-28-2010, 11:38 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg,

I think mine was plugged in too. I know when I have purchased new systems the servo's have always been plugged in. My coupon was in the cover of the manual with the decails and quick reference card for the lights.

Bob,

I have my Trex working with the Aurora, no time to fly it though, mama's sick, so dad's got the kids.

Andy
Old 02-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Chancho

Thanks for the confirmation on no piezo buzzer turn-off at this point, Mike. The wife wouldn't "let me" take the radio to bed, either. Ihad to make do with just the manual. :-)

Having this radio just2.5 days, I've come a long way, but havemuch further to go to figure out flight conditions and hidden extras. Out of the box it was pretty straight forward to set up a standard 5 cannel Piper cub with a couple mixes. However, trying to figure out howthe more advanced built in mixes and functions work will take some time to read, practice, surf the forums/Youtube, etc. But thelaboriouslearning thus far is enjoyable."Hang in their Bob, someone will get your heli-programming sorted out."

This is only me second computer radio, coming from Futaba's 6EX.It is way more feature packed and the touch screen with graphics are just an incredible upgrade from that old ~1"square menu& a couple switches that I had to painfully work out with the 6EX. I'll keep the 6EX around since I have $600 in receivers, but I doubt it will get muchuse this year with more Aurora receivers alreadyon order.

I've seen in the manual and where Mike likes to use switch "H"for throttle cut. However when I start to program some custom mixes that Iuse, i.e., flaps, RC switch, etc., I'm really at a loss to where I "Should" put them. I'd like to hear anyone's input with their switch layout for Aircraft in this regard. Maybe there is another thread on this or pardon me if it goes off topic, but I'd like to start to understand why successful RCpilots use the switch layoutsthat they do in their setups and take from that experience as I grow with the Aurora so as to commonize on my programming approach amongst my RC fleet. Moderator or AT, do you care to point me to another thread orstart another thread "Aurora switch layouts and why you assign them?"

Thanks gents for all the input... "Looking forward to Andy's battery test results, too!"

Happy Programming

Old 02-28-2010, 01:29 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz <snip>
The 1300mah battery is probably plenty for a whole day for most. There are many times we run down the batteries by forgetting to turn the Tx off. You can set this one to power off after X amount of time. I will set mine for 20 - 30 minutes.
Caution when using auto power off..
Aurora A9 Warning Alarms Battery types, voltage levels and consumption - with Power/Battery Management Screen Shots. CAUTION - Leave Auto Power Off as "Never" when using Lipo Battery. "Auto Power Off" is Hibernation Mode only (as with laptops). TX Does Not Switch Completely OFF and batteries will be completely drained if TX switch is not manually moved to the off position in good time. Will read as 'Auto Hibernation mode' with next update. As with all similar items, Hitec RCD recommend battery be removed and stored separately if TX is to be stored or unused for a period.

Aurora A9 - Lipo User Adjustable Voltage sets Shut Down = TURNS TX OFF to save damage to Lipo Battery and/or TX
(Audible Battery Warning is still at 6.9V with Lipo which provides say 10-20 min before shutdown.)

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {frequently updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 02-28-2010, 01:45 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Chancho <snip></snip> I've seen in the manual and where Mike likes to use switch "H"for throttle cut. However when I start to program some custom mixes that Iuse, i.e., flaps, RC switch, etc., I'm really at a loss to where I "Should" put them. I'd like to hear anyone's input with their switch layout for Aircraft in this regard. <snip></snip>
A good guide tobasic computer TX programming is
Hitec Optic 6 - Tutorial (good to learn mixing and other computer functions irrespective of brand)
Copies of the Eclipse switch layout, being atypical switch layout, except that the A9's twosliders replace the tworotary knobs shown on top ofthe Eclipse.

A few mixes are already available at:
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {frequently updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31068.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1388585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38769.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1388586  
Old 02-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Chancho

Thanks AT. That's a good start. I'll print out those pictures and re-read the link. :-) Right now, Auroraspecifically,I'm struggling trying to mix the elevator of my Cubto my flapperons as a separate movement. I have set up flaps andflapperons using1 servo on each wing.So when Itoggle the F switch both ailerons drop down aprogrammedpercentage (Fake flaps/flapperons) andwith the elevator responding in a percentage asalso programmed in Flap Con[Flap Control].I can program a slider, LS, RS LT, CTorRTto the mix but that controls the programmed mix already set up in the Flap Control of both the elevator and flaps at the same time. I would like to program the variable control to justaffectthe elevator so that Ican trim the elevator in relation to the flaps while in flight.

I feel like I'm almost there... Hmmm...<o></o>

Old 02-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Chancho

Wow! Took me forever, 2 mixes andsparechannel,but I've got it. I now have a flap system that when I toggle theassigned switch for flaps, my elevator adjusts to the preset attitude in the flap control mix, but when Imove my slider only the elevator moves now and the flaps stay put! I know it may sound crazy, but that's what I envisioned the Aurora to have the ability to do,I wanted a sliderto adjust the approach angle when flaps or spoilerons are deployed coming in on final. I'll have to clean up the process that got me here and post it in the mixing thread if anyone needs it. Totally cool radio - it can do some weird stuff ifyou wantit too, but you haveto be creative.Oh, I told my wife about taking the radio to bed but decided not to becausethebuzzer would have woken her.She told me to ask Hitec ifin thefuture updates youcan have a vibrate function instead of the buzzer for this reason... "Women, that's all they think of..."

Old 02-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Michel

Hi

I love youer set-up.................. if I.m not mistaken . YOU FLY WARBIRDS . Oh thats right , youre useing youre ailerons , this is a KOOL radio
Old 02-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Chancho

Yout got it Michael. I'm busting chops trying to finish a new WWIItoy for the flying season. On a couple of my birds it's really nice to use the spoilerons and flapperons, however you can never mix the elevator just right. And with a bigger gas warbird, the last thing you want to do on a short runway is play with elevator managment or guess at it on final. With the slidder I can dial it in regardless of CGon the smaller planes with a full or empty tank, etc. I want to worry about throttle management on approach, not attitude!

What a tottally cool radio. It justexceeded my expectations, now I just need to find a few more 9 channel receivers. :-)

I hope everyones backorders come in real soon, too. We've still got a few months of Michigan weather for the lawn chairs to come out... So I'm sure Mike and the crew are in some dark warehouse unpacking radios as we type...
Old 02-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Michel

Hi Chancho

yep .................. just the way you worded everything .............. YOU FLY WARBIRDS

Michel
Old 02-28-2010, 06:24 PM
AJsToyz

I'm glad to see there is programming fun out here !!

Ok, test two , only 4 hours 20 minutes, but it might not have been on the wall wart long enough. I'll have to make me a plug and put it on my Cell pro or Triton and do that test. I'll let it charge again and do another run tomorrow. I'll do it with out the back light in a couple days to see how long the battery lasts.

Alan, thanks for the heads up on the sleep mode, I'd hate to kill the battery.

I did program my Trex today, that took all of 10 minutes, has a couple very easy short cuts in this radio that makes it very easy.

Andy
Old 02-28-2010, 07:20 PM
ericrcpilot
My Feedback: (145)

Were you transmitting when you did your tests?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:21 PM
JIMF14D

When these nice long bettery tests were run was the RF power out turned on? The "9" is a little different than some transmitters in that it does not come up with the RF on automatically.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:29 PM
JIMF14D

It would be handy if Hitec also posted an uncompressed, searchable pdf of the manual even if it took awhile for some of us guys to download it. Iwill only download it once but Iwill look through the manual file a 1000 times to find things.

Jim D
Old 02-28-2010, 07:46 PM
AJsToyz

Yep! I'm trying to keep this as close to real world as I can.

Andy
Old 02-28-2010, 07:47 PM
dkennedy35

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Ok, test two , only 4 hours 20 minutes, but it might not have been on the wall wart long enough. I'll have to make me a plug and put it on my Cell pro or Triton and do that test. I'll let it charge again and do another run tomorrow. I'll do it with out the back light in a couple days to see how long the battery lasts.

I did program my Trex today, that took all of 10 minutes, has a couple very easy short cuts in this radio that makes it very easy.

Andy

Andy, is your TRex is that Nitro of Electric? If Electric, did you program a switch to keep the electric motor off no matter where your collective was? (For Auto Rotation, and Swash checks)

Has anyone received an Aurora from a January back order?

- Don
Old 02-28-2010, 08:09 PM
AJsToyz

Don,

Trex is electric, and thanks for the tip! I'll go back in there and set that up with the throttle. I'll plug a battery in an Rx tomorrow when I go to run the radio again.

Andy
Old 02-28-2010, 09:06 PM
chewytm

ORIGINAL: dkennedy35

Andy

Andy, is your TRex is that Nitro of Electric? If Electric, did you program a switch to keep the electric motor off no matter where your collective was? (For Auto Rotation, and Swash checks)

- Don

I thought that was a built-in function??? If you just touch and hold the model icon for 2 seconds, the radio will go into throttle-lock mode?

chewy
Old 02-28-2010, 09:18 PM
dkennedy35

ORIGINAL: chewytm

Andy

- Don

I thought that was a built-in function??? If you just touch and hold the model icon for 2 seconds, the radio will go into throttle-lock mode?

chewy
SWEET!!!!

Thanks chewy

- Don
Old 02-28-2010, 10:04 PM
AJsToyz

Chewy, thank you very much !!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 12:17 AM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Chancho

Thanks AT. That's a good start. I'll print out those pictures and re-read the link. :-) Right now, Aurora specifically, I'm struggling trying to mix the elevator of my Cub to my flapperons as a separate movement. I have set up flaps and flapperons using 1 servo on each wing. So when I toggle the F switch both ailerons drop down a programmed percentage (Fake flaps/flapperons) and with the elevator responding in a percentage as also programmed in Flap Con [Flap Control]. I can program a slider, LS, RS LT, CT or RT to the mix but that controls the programmed mix already set up in the Flap Control of both the elevator and flaps at the same time. I would like to program the variable control to just affect the elevator so that I can trim the elevator in relation to the flaps while in flight.

I feel like I'm almost there... Hmmm...<o></o>

With the Aurora there is typically more than one way to do something... try using camber mode with the adjust function assigned to the slider. Airbrake will also allow you do deploy flaps and elevator at the same time. You could also try setting up the model in GLID mode which gives you butterfly to play with.

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

It would be handy if Hitec also posted an uncompressed, searchable pdf of the manual even if it took awhile for some of us guys to download it. I will only download it once but I will look through the manual file a 1000 times to find things.

Jim D
I'll check into it.

ORIGINAL: chewytm

Andy

- Don

chewy
There is... as shown in the video here at the :50 mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKw0_4Gs4EE Note, this only works when transmitting.

More Aurora's have arrived and started shipping. The rest of the stock will ship this week so more radios will be in the pipeline shortly

Mike.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:28 AM
chewytm

Mike,

One little change you might consider, but not critical, is the inclusion of the "Backspace" key on the touch keypad. This will make the editing of the model names etc easier.

chewy

EDIT: The word Backspace when enclosed in "" doesn't appear
Old 03-01-2010, 04:01 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

It would be handy if Hitec also posted an uncompressed, searchable pdf of the manual even if it took awhile for some of us guys to download it. I will only download it once but I will look through the manual file a 1000 times to find things.

I VOTE FOR THIS.. It was mentioned the manual in present pdf is so many KB. Guys we regularly download MEGABYTES now!!!!! I have downloaded 30, 40 ,100 MB just to see what the product was and if it was any good. Probably half of us on the internet can download 30MB in a minute or less. Searchable is good!!!

Download time is not an excuse. Get on the factory's case or hire someone locally to do it!
Old 03-01-2010, 04:26 AM
chewytm

ORIGINAL: 4*60

I VOTE FOR THIS.. It was mentioned the manual in present pdf is so many KB. Guys we regularly download MEGABYTES now!!!!! I have downloaded 30, 40 ,100 MB just to see what the product was and if it was any good. Probably half of us on the internet can download 30MB in a minute or less. Searchable is good!!!

Download time is not an excuse. Get on the factory's case or hire someone locally to do it!

Totally agree. We need this uncompressed pdf.

chewy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.