Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:35 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

ORIGINAL: LQUAN

I had few flights with my A9 on a C-Arf 100cc Extra330 and very happy with it until last weekend. I recommended the A9 to my friend and he replaced his JR 9303 with the A9. Last weekend he lost signal 30 seconds after take off and crashed his brandnew P-47 gaser. It was his maiden flight with the A9. He had 3 successful flights with his old 9303 before sold off his radio and got the A9. He told me he had called Hitec. I know my friend is a trusty large airplane assembler. He is everybody's test pilot at the field. If anybody has problem getting their new engines started, he is the guy to call. If anybody who can't figure out their new JR radio, he is the guy. He always check everybody new plane inside out prior to test flight. For as long as I know him, he never lost a plane due to technical issue; he lost a few due to over confident and pilot errors. I heard a couple of crashes from pilots using the A9 but I always discredit them due to their inexperience assembling skills on large gasers. My friend's crash is very concerning to me. He told me he has only one 2500mAH LiPo with 6.5V regulator into the Optima 9 with 7 analog servos. The retract was mechanical which can be an issue on the single battery if one or more wheels get stuck outside the wheelwells. His battery was fully charged prior to that ill-fate first flight. He bound his reciever on Standard Mode at home, not at the field. After the crash, all electronics work ok, no sign of signal loss. Telemetry always reported 6.5V up to the crash. If I understand correctly, the regulator can only deliver 3A continuously. LiPo would not have issue with large current draw, the bottle neck is the regulator. I am still baffle over this and will talk to my friend in depth when I see him this weekend. If anyone else crash with their A9, it would never concern me. But if this guy crash with the A9, I must get to the bottom before flying my $5K plus warbirds.

The field that he flies has a few issues with 2.4GHz radio regardless of brand. The field is located in the valley (in the city) with 2 lage radio stations at both ends of the runway on the mountain tops. We don't have issue with 72MHz, except for channel 48 which is always occuppied by unknown source.

Luckly, I don't fly at this field anymore. I fly in no-mansland among the smelly cattles.
Did your fried have the Fail safe set up and if so did the surfaces go to thier predertimined positions? If not then we can assume that the radio still had power and fault could be with the receiver, switch, battery, regulator, or wiring.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:56 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: michel gravelle

The only thing that I have read is that Hitec has admitted to a bad soldering joint , so far anyway

Michel
Do any of you open the radio, and take a look at the solder joints and see if they all have a nice and shine?

Greg
Old 04-28-2010, 10:18 PM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: craigteffe

I had few flights with my A9 on a C-Arf 100cc Extra330 and very happy with it until last weekend. I recommended the A9 to my friend and he replaced his JR 9303 with the A9. Last weekend he lost signal 30 seconds after take off and crashed his brandnew P-47 gaser. It was his maiden flight with the A9. He had 3 successful flights with his old 9303 before sold off his radio and got the A9. He told me he had called Hitec. I know my friend is a trusty large airplane assembler. He is everybody's test pilot at the field. If anybody has problem getting their new engines started, he is the guy to call. If anybody who can't figure out their new JR radio, he is the guy. He always check everybody new plane inside out prior to test flight. For as long as I know him, he never lost a plane due to technical issue; he lost a few due to over confident and pilot errors. I heard a couple of crashes from pilots using the A9 but I always discredit them due to their inexperience assembling skills on large gasers. My friend's crash is very concerning to me. He told me he has only one 2500mAH LiPo with 6.5V regulator into the Optima 9 with 7 analog servos. The retract was mechanical which can be an issue on the single battery if one or more wheels get stuck outside the wheelwells. His battery was fully charged prior to that ill-fate first flight. He bound his reciever on Standard Mode at home, not at the field. After the crash, all electronics work ok, no sign of signal loss. Telemetry always reported 6.5V up to the crash. If I understand correctly, the regulator can only deliver 3A continuously. LiPo would not have issue with large current draw, the bottle neck is the regulator. I am still baffle over this and will talk to my friend in depth when I see him this weekend. If anyone else crash with their A9, it would never concern me. But if this guy crash with the A9, I must get to the bottom before flying my $5K plus warbirds.

The field that he flies has a few issues with 2.4GHz radio regardless of brand. The field is located in the valley (in the city) with 2 lage radio stations at both ends of the runway on the mountain tops. We don't have issue with 72MHz, except for channel 48 which is always occuppied by unknown source.

Luckly, I don't fly at this field anymore. I fly in no-mansland among the smelly cattles.
Did your fried have the Fail safe set up and if so did the surfaces go to thier predertimined positions? If not then we can assume that the radio still had power and fault could be with the receiver, switch, battery, regulator, or wiring.
After posting the story regarding my friend's crash, I couldn't help it so I called him up to get more details. When I last talked to him, I was with my family visiting the USS Midway down in San Diego. It was hard to talk with kids constantly bombarding me with questions.

He had 8 analog servos on the plane. The single battery was connected to a regulator. The culprit was most likely the $50 regulator. The regulator spec 5A continuous - which is a lie. I am familiar with his regulator. I tested it before on my DA-100 ignition, it can't barely deliver 250mA. The regulator design was stupid. It has a heat sink, but the heat sink and regulator are wrapped under a shrink tube. What kind of a dump-ass design is that? Might as well not include the heat sink, it may have worked better. Heat sink are meant to be properly ventilated to dissipate heat. If his mechanical retract was binding, he would crash with that kind of setup. Furthermore, Optima Rx draws more current than any other Rx due to the added telemetry feature. His plane may have been working at the border with his JR Rx. I would never have just 1 battery on my plane. Regulator are designed to shutdown when overload and over heat. It will come back when when the excess heat dissipate. That was why when he arrived at the crash and found the Rx is still alive and responding.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:19 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

I'm sorry to hear about the problem... the big red flag is the 3A regulator. I take it, he was not using the SPC? How many and what type of servos... with a 3A reg anything high torque would be seriously borderline at best.

ORIGINAL: wpmcnamara

On a related note, I have found that if I power off the receiver without powering down the transmitter, they will not rebind. I haven't read the manual yet to figure out what I have set wrong, but in that circumstance, a voltage sag sufficient to reset the receiver would cause the loss of a plane.

Yes in Scan mode you have to power cycle the system if one is turned off... this is not the same as voltage sag though; as long as the voltage does not drop to zero it will come back.

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

Is the Aurora having issues-voltage problems, crashed planes ?
No, but all the same things still apply with proper voltage... that is why it is always a good idea to use the SPC to take a brownout due to insufficient voltage out of the equation.

Yes, there was a gentleman that lost his plane due to the radio suddenly locking up that was traced to a cold solder joint in the radio. A big bummer by all means... Unfortunately Hitec is not immune to having the occasional problem as will all electronic devices.

Mike.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:08 AM
p51 fan

Hey guys,

Do any of you have the dead band problem that everyone over on the "groups" is talking about? Seems like more and more poeple are coming forward with the problem. I haven't heard anyone mention it here.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:27 AM
JIMF14D

OK so what is the deadband problem?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:50 AM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

http://www.vimeo.com/11325802
Old 04-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That dead band is interesting, thanks for the link. I am jsut a sport pilot (not a very good one at that ) so I may have not even noticed it. I may have to see if there is any issue with mine. At least it does not look like a life threating problem with the radio, but could be an issue.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:48 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

When P51 Fan first brought it up I was like huh..whats that. So I checked out the Groups real quick and found the info. I was pretty sure I didnt have dead band issues, having converted/set up two different planes now with the A9. Still, I had to go check. Mine checked out ok.

Im one happy sport flyer.
Cheers.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Chancho

I'm learning a lot about radios and with the Aurora it's opened up a whole new level of understanding for me. I was unaware of the deadband after many flights with the Aurora. I'm not about to get a protractor and servo out on all my receivers. Though Ido appreciate the gentleman who took his time to show us with the nice video to educate us on what it is, etc....The only time I have the aileron stick jammed to the left is on a sloppy barrel role. If I were doing a slow barrel roll, I never get the stick over more than half way. So the video shows 1.5 degree of dead band at max travel.I won't use it or ever notice it if that's the case. I am curious if anyone does fly with their aileron's at the end of the stick and can notice a difference?"Way beyond my model pilot skills."
Old 04-29-2010, 01:51 PM
JIMF14D

Idid not do the protractor thing but made a quick check on one model in all axis and do not see anything obvious by a simple eyeball check.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Chancho

Eyeball Check.. That's more my speed. I'm heading out to the field in about 30 minutes and I'll check for deadband there.Though the two planes that are flying today with the Aurora are already proven good flyers and have their A9 2.4ghz sign off. Hmmm
Old 04-29-2010, 02:39 PM
AJsToyz

I see what he is talking about BUT is it just the stick needs replaced or the radio? He would also get a better reading of how far the servo actually travels if the center of the servo came up through the center line between 0 and 180 on the protractor.

Mine does have the dead band on the right stick when pulling up but is so far at the end I don't really see a problem. If I do need the extra degree or two I can change my EPA from 100 to 102 - 104, I don't see a problem though.

This person happened to notice it on his Aurora, that doesn't mean it has never happened on any other radio. I would have never paid attention to it until it was brought up.

Andy
Old 04-29-2010, 03:18 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

Mike, I have a suggestion or question can one of the Timer functionsbe madeso that the timer is retentiveholds its value even though the radio is turned off for each model so we have a way of knowing how much time we have on a specific model.
Mike Can you tell us if this can be done!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:22 PM
AJsToyz

Phil,

Did you see we are in a "No Fly Zone" from 9:30am - 1:30pm Saturday 5/1/2010 .

Andy
Old 04-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Phil,

Did you see we are in a ''No Fly Zone'' from 9:30am - 1:30pm Saturday 5/1/2010 .

Andy
Hi

Okay ,........................... could you please evaluate on that , I have absolutely , NO IDEA , what you are talking about [sm=confused.gif] .

I have never heard of that before .

I have just checked my radio system for that DEAD-BAND thing and I did the same thing that the gentalman in the video did , and , MINE WORKS FINE

Michel
Old 04-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, I have a suggestion or question can one of the Timer functions be made so that the timer is retentiveholds its value even though the radio is turned off for each model so we have a way of knowing how much time we have on a specific model.
Mike Can you tell us if this can be done!
BTW ,.................. I think this is a great question [8D]

Michel
Old 04-29-2010, 05:02 PM
tranker
My Feedback: (1)

It would have been nice if the author of the video showed us that the channels subtrim has been cleard and zero'd, travel is 100%, and etc. Becareful with what you find as fact on this website or any other.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: tranker

It would have been nice if the author of the video showed us that the channels subtrim has been cleard and zero'd, travel is 100%, and etc. Becareful with what you find as fact on this website or any other.
And after he does all of that, throw that damn Futaba Servo away...!!!! Also, who calibrated the protractor..Hmmm...???

Could be a defective servo, EPA or other issues as identified in the quote..!!

I'd call Futaba for a refund..!!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:47 PM
p51 fan

Take a look at this link for more information about the dead band issue.

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/aurora9issues.shtml

If you do have the dead band please sign-in to this document to help Hitec trace the problem.

http://tinyurl.com/29n5to4
Old 04-29-2010, 05:53 PM
DougV

ORIGINAL: Prop_Washer2

And after he does all of that, throw that damn Futaba Servo away...!!!! Also, who calibrated the protractor..Hmmm...???

Here's one with a Hitec servo: http://www.vimeo.com/11304534

Doug.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:00 PM
AJsToyz

A new FDC NOTAM/TFR has been issued for the area surrounding Ann Arbor, MI for Saturday, 5/1, from 9:15a until 1:30p EDT. The TFR is issued for security purposes to cover VIP movement in this area. Model aircraft operations are prohibited in this area during the specific times of the TFR. Please note that TFRs are subject to change with very short notice. Check back often for the most current NOTAM/TFR information.

Timely alerts are also available on the web or on you cell phone at: Twitter.com/amagov.

See the link to the TFR below for more detailed information regarding the restrictions:

* Area 1 (5/1, 9:15a - 1:30p EDT)
(30nm radius from Latitude: 42ยบ14'35"N, Longitude: 83ยบ36'40"W)
* Area 2 (5/1, 9:15a - 10:30a EDT)
(10nm radius from Latitude: 42ยบ12'59"N, Longitude: 83ยบ21'25"W)
* Area 3 (5/1, 9:30a - 1:00p EDT)
(10nm radius from Latitude: 42ยบ15'57"N, Longitude: 83ยบ44'55"W)
* Area 4 (5/1, 12:15p - 1:30p EDT)
(10nm radius from Latitude: 42ยบ12'59"N, Longitude: 83ยบ21'25"W)

TFR - 0/7827

Map View of the Affected Area http://02b954f.netsolhost.com/amatfr1.html

Regards
Gregory Hahn
Technical Director
AMA

I think the President might be in town Saturday
Old 04-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: DougV

ORIGINAL: Prop_Washer2

Here's one with a Hitec servo: http://www.vimeo.com/11304534

Doug.
Crank up the left EPA and go fly...if not send it back to Hitec. I would swap the receiver first to eliminate that, but its probably a simple pot alignment on the gimbal. No biggie here for me. I'll check my A9 and see if I can duplicate the symptom...
Old 04-29-2010, 06:28 PM
JIMF14D

Well Mike from Hitec should be able to offer some input here on what they see at the land of Hitec experts.

The way I fly Ihave not noticed anything and quick eyeball check on a model (Seagull H3D 40) with very large ailerons that are easy to see did not show anything obvious. The ailerons do not stop moving before the stick hits the left stop.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:46 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Do any of you that have the dead band issue, own a Hitec HFP-20 Servo Programmer?

It would be interesting to see what numbers you get for center, and maximum rotation in both directions.

Greg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.