Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum Futaba 2.4 module sucks

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:08 AM
bobferguson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum Futaba 2.4 module sucks

Imo the Spektrum Futaba 2.4 module sucks. It still unlike the JR version still uses a wire to the antenna that is placed on a adapter you install after removing the 72mhz antenna. Also I need to remove the 2.4 antenna before putting it in my tx case and if you press it in on so it doesn't fall off it is hard to remove. Something is going to break. Also I wonder if the little connector on the module will get broken when placing the tx in the case since it sticks out on the bottom of the tx. I have many planes and can't afford and really have no need to replace all my 72mhz rx but I worry about having to remove the antenna and install the 2.4 adapter every time I want to change to 2.4mhz.

As far as the Spektrum part the 2.4mhz mode seems to work fine to bind a AR7000 and AR6100e rxs. I have not flown yet so I will need to do good range checking before flying.

Now that I have setup the rxers the manual make prefect sense but it didn't when I had not figured it out. If it were not for hearing people at the club, on rcgroups and here I do not think I could have figured out how to bind a rx. It is so easy now.

If I had noticed the wire on the antenna before I opened the box I would have returned it.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:53 AM
ss40

Default RE: Spektrum Futaba 2.4 module sucks

Get a 2.2 dbi router antenna and screw it on the back as I did in the past and go flying. Eases the switchover and works fine. Check range to satisfy yourself. Dealextreme has antennas for under $4 that will do.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:46 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get rid of the wire and antenna and replace it with one of these.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=145

Cheap and simple, works every bit as well as the Spektrum unit.

TF
Old 06-11-2010, 04:13 PM
bobferguson

I wonder why Futaba would go to the work of designing their own antenna and mount when they could just use a existing unit? I wonder if the range is better on the Futaba unit. It appears longer.

My wi-fi antenna fit so I ordered a sparkfun unit.

Thanks for the heads up.