Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

super noob needs help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:29 PM
ryan10517

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default super noob needs help!

hey guys, i just signed up here at RCU. seems like a good place to get LOTS of good info. i have a stupid question..... as the title suggests, i am completely new to rc planes (i have flown once or twice) but anyways, i want to build my own foam electric slow flyer out of depron foam. a while back i bought a gws 5amp speed controller and a GWS - IPS Motor and Gearbox. what i am wandering is what specific kind of battery, charger, servos, reciever, and everything else do i need to be able to build this little plane and get it up in the air. you will have to dumb down the lingo for me too haha. well any and all replies are much appreciated!
Thanks,
Ryan

Old 07-20-2010, 11:50 AM
dknovick

Default RE: super noob needs help!

ORIGINAL: ryan10517

hey guys, i just signed up here at RCU. seems like a good place to get LOTS of good info. i have a stupid question..... as the title suggests, i am completely new to rc planes (i have flown once or twice) but anyways, i want to build my own foam electric slow flyer out of depron foam. a while back i bought a gws 5amp speed controller and a GWS - IPS Motor and Gearbox. what i am wandering is what specific kind of battery, charger, servos, reciever, and everything else do i need to be able to build this little plane and get it up in the air. you will have to dumb down the lingo for me too haha. well any and all replies are much appreciated!
Thanks,
Ryan

If you haven't posted there yet, there is a foamie section on @ RC Universe. Lipos are the choice for batteries, since they have a high power density (power vs. weight). If you haven't all ready, I'd suggest looking to see what companies sell as foamie kits so that you can get a better idea on what is used.

-Dave
Old 07-20-2010, 12:51 PM
playntraffic

Default RE: super noob needs help!

ORIGINAL: ryan10517

Thanks,
Ryan

Welcome Ryan

I have had those same parts. They came in my first plane a GWS Pico Stick. Excellent flyer and good first plane.
The speed controller and motor/gearbox are set up for 4.8v Nicad batteries. You can run a 2cell lipo and be ok, I did it for a long time.
You will need a transmitter, battery, battery charger, two or three micro servos, and a receiver.

You have your choice of 2.4 or FM transmitters/receivers. Four channel is the minimum you want if you are ever going to fly anything else. Six channel is midrange and eight to twelve channel radios include more bells and whistels.

The battery and charger will need to be compatible and the battery will need to have a connection that matches the speed controller. Buy a battery that already has that connection or solder a new one on.

You will need a servo for each control surface. For example, one of elevator, one for rudder. The motor controller is the throttle, so no servo necessary.

My HONEST suggestion is that you get a GWS slow stick slope glider version. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHCH8
It does not include the parts you already have. Build and fly that and then build your own design. You will still need the parts listed above.