Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

HobbyKing OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HobbyKing OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:40 PM
eghershey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HobbyKing OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

What a snotty response. You have a right to your opinions and I'll respect that. All I ask is your respect of my opinions.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:02 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am going to give one of these a try in my gliders.  I have 4 futaba 7 channel FASST that cost $90.  The Orange was $30 I think.  Hope it works as well as you all say.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:12 PM
meanrc

You won't have any problems

I am using 6 or these and never a glitch

Jk
Old 10-09-2012, 08:33 AM
aeajr

I have not used the Orange FASST receiver yet, but am having good experience with the Futaba FASST receivers.

Anyone else using these Orange FASST receivers that have more current updates?

Not looking for problems, but is anyone having problems?  What is the nature?

What are you flying using the Orange receivers. Which receivers.

My personal interest is around gliders which can be quite high and quite far out.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:37 AM
eghershey

Out of 15 receivers I've purchased, 2 would not bind at all. One, after a year or more of service, failed to boot up and after trying to re-bind it, it failed. I have never had one fail in flight. I have had the Spektrum recivers fail in flight in the past. I actually put more faith in the Orange receivers than I do in the high dollar Spektrums.
My planes are all park models, but I do have one in my Radian which will get very far away both in distance and altitude. Others are for example: Strykers, slow sticks, cubs, combats, easy star, gliders, foamy 3Ds, T28 etc.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:27 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: eghershey

Out of 15 receivers I've purchased, 2 would not bind at all. One, after a year or more of service, failed to boot up and after trying to re-bind it, it failed. I have never had one fail in flight. I have had the Spektrum recivers fail in flight in the past. I actually put more faith in the Orange receivers than I do in the high dollar Spektrums.
My planes are all park models, but I do have one in my Radian which will get very far away both in distance and altitude. Others are for example: Strykers, slow sticks, cubs, combats, easy star, gliders, foamy 3Ds, T28 etc.
Thanks for the report. This thread it about the FASSTcompatibles. Sounds like you are talking about the DSM2 compatibles.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:36 PM
eghershey

ORIGINAL: aeajr

ORIGINAL: eghershey

Thanks for the report. This thread it about the FASST compatibles. Sounds like you are talking about the DSM2 compatibles.
Your right, my bad. But reliability should be the same I would think.
Sorry my typing finger got faster than my reading eyes.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought 4 Orange FASST 8ch receivers about 2 years ago. They all worked perfectly, so I bought 4 more about 6 months later, then 2 more used ones about 6 months ago. With the exception of one unexplained lockout about a year ago, they all have been working perfectly in a variety of planes. In the air, I can't tell the difference between the genuine Futaba FASST receivers and the Orange FASST receivers. Even the receiver that mysteriously locked out once has been flown way over a hundred times since then without any problems.

The only receivers that have worked better have been the geniune Futaba FASST, which have had zero problems. Even the single lockout with one of the Orange FASST receivers is still way better than my experiences with Spektrum.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Jiffy81

I just bought two of them, I figured they would help me into 2.4 without the high price. I lost both planes due to lockout. Should have just left them alone because they flew perfectly on the futaba 72MHz systems
Old 09-29-2013, 04:05 PM
aeajr

Cool

Which Orange FASST receivers did you buy Jiffy? And when did you buy them?

Often, when moving from 72 MHz to 2.4 GHz pilots have had loss of signal problems because the power system/receiver pack, BEC that was fine for their 72 MHz is not up to the demands of 2.4 GHz. This may not be your case but if you don't mind, may I ask what your servo, receiver and battery system set-up is?

For example, the typical power consumption of a 72 MHz 8 channel receiver was around 20-30 mah. And if the battery voltage started to sag you would usually see that as a "glitch", perhaps a loss of range but rarely would you lose contact entirely. These were pretty dumb circuits.

2.4 GHz receivers are little computers. And like a computer, if you don't give them enough clean power they shut down and try to reboot and reconnect. The typical power draw of a 2.4 GHz 8 channel receiver is typically between 70 and 110 mah. And if the battery voltage sags below a certain threshold the receiver loses contact with the radio and reboots, like a computer because that is what it is. During that time you lose contact with the radio. when it comes back up it has to find and reconnect with the radio's signal, something that 72 MHz receivers did not have to do.

So you need a more robust power system to handle the extra demands of a 2.4 GHz receiver system. Your receiver is now drawing 3 to 5 times as much power as your old receiver. Something that was just getting by for 72 MHz won't handle 2.4.

Not saying this is your issue, but if you are new to 2.4 this is something you might not know. When 2.4 first came out people where having all kinds of problems and many of them were traced to power problems. As I have moved over to 2.4 GHz I have upgraded my battery packs and paid more attention to what the output is on the BECs I am using.

Just something to think about.

Last edited by aeajr; 09-29-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Dave McDonald

Originally Posted by Jiffy81
I just bought two of them, I figured they would help me into 2.4 without the high price. I lost both planes due to lockout. Should have just left them alone because they flew perfectly on the futaba 72MHz systems
Since both receivers locked out, this sounds more like the receivers were operating in high speed mode with analog servos. The Orange FASST receivers come shipped from the factory in high speed mode, and must be switched to slow speed mode before using any analog servos on any of the first 6 channels.

So I'm curious to know:

Were you using any analog servos on any of the first 6 channels?

If so, did you switch the Orange FASST receiver out of high speed mode and into slow speed mode?
Old 09-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Dave McDonald

Originally Posted by Dave McDonald
I bought 4 Orange FASST 8ch receivers about 2 years ago. They all worked perfectly, so I bought 4 more about 6 months later, then 2 more used ones about 6 months ago. With the exception of one unexplained lockout about a year ago, they all have been working perfectly in a variety of planes. In the air, I can't tell the difference between the genuine Futaba FASST receivers and the Orange FASST receivers. Even the receiver that mysteriously locked out once has been flown way over a hundred times since then without any problems.

The only receivers that have worked better have been the geniune Futaba FASST, which have had zero problems. Even the single lockout with one of the Orange FASST receivers is still way better than my experiences with Spektrum.
Since this thread is nearly 2 years old and just got revived, here's an update on my experiences with the Orange FASST TFR8 channel receivers.

Out of the 10 Orange FASST receivers that I'm flying, one has now locked out twice. The first time was on 12/21/11 in a Kadet LT 40 at a distance of less than 500 feet from the transmitter. That receiver was then put in a 3D SPAD plane and flown hundreds of times for about a year and a half with no problems until 4/3/13 when it again locked out at a distance of around 50 feet from the transmitter. It it now being used for bench testing and setups only. The other 9 Orange FASST receivers have been working perfectly for the past 4 years with absolutely zero problems.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Jiffy81

They were 8 channel orange rx from hobby king, I believe they were 30 dollars a piece, I received them just yesterday, as for my servos - futaba 3004 standards with a 2500 milliamp niccad pack
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	1926006  
Old 09-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Jiffy81

I did check to see both before and after to see if I was in slow speed or high speed mode and both times it was slow speed on both planes .
Old 09-29-2013, 07:25 PM
Dave McDonald

I did check to see both before and after to see if I was in slow speed or high speed mode and both times it was slow speed on both planes .
So I'm assuming this means that you actually changed the speed mode since they come from the factory in high speed mode. Right?
Old 09-29-2013, 07:30 PM
aeajr

Well, if both locked up, browned out or otherwise didn't work properly I might suspect something in the plane. Getting one bad one is possible but two is less likely. however if there is a production run defect then it would likely impact both.

I would contact HobbyKing about a refund, replacement or a credit.

Are you using a TM7 or TM8 module?
Old 09-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Jiffy81

Yes I changed it prior to installing the system into my planes then checked it prior to field assembly, also I range checked both receivers prior to flight all checked out. The first plane crashed on the maiden with the new system the second plane crashed on the second
Old 09-29-2013, 07:33 PM
aeajr

Originally Posted by Dave McDonald
Since both receivers locked out, this sounds more like the receivers were operating in high speed mode with analog servos. The Orange FASST receivers come shipped from the factory in high speed mode, and must be switched to slow speed mode before using any analog servos on any of the first 6 channels.

So I'm curious to know:

Were you using any analog servos on any of the first 6 channels?

If so, did you switch the Orange FASST receiver out of high speed mode and into slow speed mode?
I have an orange 8 channel FASST that is about a year old. Have never used it. Was not aware of this Fast mode/slow mode thing.

How do you check it? I don't recall getting any documentation with the receiver.

Edit: I went to the site for the 8 Ch FASST receiver and the "files" tab links you to the FrSky site for the FrSky 8 channel FASST receivers. So I presume the Orange are actually FrSky, but the Orange cost a little more.

Last edited by aeajr; 09-29-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Jiffy81

I'm using a futaba 6ex fasst transmitter
Old 09-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by aeajr
I have an orange 8 channel FASST that is about a year old. Have never used it. Was not aware of this Fast mode/slow mode thing.

How do you check it? I don't recall getting any documentation with the receiver.

Edit: I went to the site for the 8 Ch FASST receiver and the "files" tab links you to the FrSky site for the FrSky 8 channel FASST receivers. So I presume the Orange are actually FrSky, but the Orange cost a little more.
Logged in to answer your question, and noticed your edit.. yes the Orange is made by FRSky, the manual is here.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...84X7478X18.pdf

You must disable Fail safe in the Transmitter and you must set to FS mode for normal servos.

They will work in 7 ch mode or Multi mode.

I am using several in various Helis and EDF jets, so far no problems, I purchased mine about 2 years ago.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Dave McDonald

Yes I changed it prior to installing the system into my planes then checked it prior to field assembly, also I range checked both receivers prior to flight all checked out. The first plane crashed on the maiden with the new system the second plane crashed on the second
Thanks for letting us know that the receivers were definitely in slow speed mode.

Really sorry to hear that both of them failed inflight and caused your planes to crash.

I'm using a futaba 6ex fasst transmitter
One more question.
The 6EX 2.4 transmitter defaults to a Fail Safe condition on the throttle channel. While this fail safe setting on the transmitter works great with genuine Futaba FASST receivers, the Orange FASST receivers have their own fail safe settings and are not compatible with the fail safe settings in the transmitter. Therefore the fail safe F/S setting in the transmitter must be set to the HOLD position before using an Orange FASST receiver.

Did you disable the failsafe setting in the 6EX by setting it to the HOLD selection?

The reason I'm curious is that I strongly suspect that was the reason my Orange FASST receiver locked out the second time. I had been test flying some genuine Futaba FASST receivers in the plane, and had the fail safe activated. Then when I reinstalled the Orange FASST receiver, I forgot to disable the fail safe, and the receiver locked out within a few flights.

Not disabling the fail safe would also help to explain how you ended up with two lockouts on two separate receivers within three flights.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:39 AM
ululi1970

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HK Orange RXs are not the only player in town. FRSky has a line of FASST receivers that are comparably priced, and available from a US importer

http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...ompatible.html

that ships fast. I have not used them, but I have been using FRSky original 2.4 GHz tx and rxs for years now without ever experiencing a problem...
Old 09-30-2013, 07:13 AM
pilotpete2

+1
Excellent service from Aloft, and if you have a question or a problem, someone who you can actually talk to.
About the only time you need to disable the transmitter based F/S setting with FrSky receivers, is when using the 6EX, 7C and then only when you really need to have other than "hold last good position" on other than CH3.
Pete
Old 09-30-2013, 07:14 AM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

from a spektrum point of view, i have three orange rx receivers, with satellites on them. two six channels and a seven channel. i have a combined 250-300 flights on them and have never had a problem with any of them. now, i have some ar7000 receivers, and at my field i have had two brown outs and lost one plane. with them costing nearly $100 each and given the fact that i have not paid more than $27 for my orange rx receivers, with satellite and including shipping, and ive never had an issue with them, ill continue to purchase them, and recommend them. oh, and they've range checked just as far as my name brand receivers, and in flight, i fly them just as far as i can see, and as you know any farther is useless. ok, im done now. lol
Old 09-30-2013, 10:29 AM
falcon_56

delete

Last edited by falcon_56; 09-30-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.