Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Best Servo for the money (cheap)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 04:24 PM
GUNSHIPGUNNER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Servo for the money (cheap)

I have several airplanes that I keep in flying condition and usually one or more under construction.

With this many aircraft servos become numerous and expensive.

While my cheapo Futaba 3003 and 148 servos are adequate for smaller and simpler aircraft they are a bit too slow and lacking in power (even with 6 volts) for applications such as the smaller 3-D and "Fun Fly" type aircraft.

Also after 30 plus years of RCing I had a huge collection of mis-matched servos. Trying to keep track of spare parts and matching them for applications like dual aileron or elevator servos was becoming a bit of a hassle.

To help simplify things if I could find a suitable servo I planned on replacing most of my other servos with ONE MODEL from ONE COMPANY!!

So last summer I looked around for a servo that had the meet the following requirements.

1: Fast (fast servos are a must for 3-D type flying)

2: Powerful (has more power than the standard servos)

3: Has ball bearings. (I use Pull-Pull linkages whenever possible and they NEED a ball bearing servo)

4: Compact and light weight

5: Name Brand and reliable (I didn't want to end up with a pile of un-usable servos due to a lack of replacement parts)

6: Easy to get replacement parts for (Ideally parts are available from more than one source)

And above all CHEAP!!!

What I settled on is the Hobbico CS-35 High power Mini BB servo.

They are small, VERY fast and have lots of power. And they are CHEAP!!

Here are the specs.

Price for the plastic gear version is $22.95

Speed = @ 4.8 volts is .14 seconds @ 6 volts is 0.11 seconds

Power= @ 4.8 volts is 55.0 oz-in. @ 6 volts is 65.8 oz-in.

And they are small !! 1.3" X 0.7" X 1.2"

And they are light!! 0.95 oz. (27 g)

So for $22.95 you have a small servo suitable for aircraft up to 1.20 4 - Stroke size.

Tower sells this servo as their TS-35 (part number TC4127) for $24.99 but they also sell the Hobbico CS-35 (part number TC 3260) for the same price.

This servo is also available with metal gears but I don't like metal geared servos as they tend to have more slop, especially after a few hours of use.

As far as I can tell they is not another servo on the market that is as fast or as powerful as the CS-35 for anywhere near the low price.

I now have CS-35s installed in 14 different airplanes ranging from a Sig Somethin' Extra to a Kyosho Stearman bipe to a Goldberg Ultimate Bipe to a GP Extra 300 sixty size.

They work extremely well for hovering and doing all the extreme 3-D type flying.

I hope this helps some of you fellows that like me, are on a tight budget but like high performance aerobatics flying.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7920_825.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	5596  
Old 04-11-2002, 09:33 PM
Jim D
My Feedback: (8)

Default It's a Hitec

FYI, the Hobbico CS-35 is a re-labeled Hitec HS225 BB. Try this link:

http://www.hitecrcd.com/Catalog/Servos/HS-225.htm
Old 04-11-2002, 10:04 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea , just buy it from one of the advertisers who sells HiTec. Might as well get one with it's daddies name on it
I bought 4 of "The REAL HiTec" 225s at Toledo for $22 ea.
HiTec makes about the best servos for the money or ANY money IMHO.
The 605 is a real workhorse too and GREAT PRICE from an independent !
Old 04-11-2002, 10:12 PM
FilipM

Yep thats the Hitec225BB! I love it and will never buy a "Standard Servo" again.

I get mine at www.servocity.com , the prices there are very low and they offer free shipping on all orders to the continental US, plus they ship very quickly.

Filip
Old 04-16-2002, 06:37 AM
GUNSHIPGUNNER

If ALL you fellas already knew how great this servo was, WHY didn't you share this info with the rest of us?
Old 04-16-2002, 12:27 PM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 225 is all of the things you have mentioned, however this servo's gear train is significantly more fragile than a standard size servo. I have used this servo in every thing from a 3.2 gasser (throttle) to a 15 size combat. I have had 4 of them strip out to date. They are a great servo, just don't use them on anything larger than a 60 size plane. I would also suggest not using them on a rudder if you have a solid (non-spring loaded) tail wheel assembly.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:59 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Originally posted by Wings
The 225 is all of the things you have mentioned, however this servo's gear train is significantly more fragile than a standard size servo. I have used this servo in every thing from a 3.2 gasser (throttle) to a 15 size combat. I have had 4 of them strip out to date. They are a great servo, just don't use them on anything larger than a 60 size plane. I would also suggest not using them on a rudder if you have a solid (non-spring loaded) tail wheel assembly.
Correct. The small geartrain doesn't have the shock resistance of bigger gears. Be careful using these on planes with big control surfaces... if you overspeed and flutter yuo will strip gears in a hurry.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:57 AM
windsurfer
My Feedback: (37)

Default Any suggestions on Hitec 615MG or 645MG???

Since we are talking about Hitec servos, I want to ask about Hitec 615MG or 645MG servos.
I see that these guys have 100 oz torque.
Do they hold up well if I use ONLY one of them for actuating 2 flaps on a 80" wardbird? Any reliability issues? And most importantly, do they neutralize (center) well?
Please let me know
Old 04-17-2002, 11:17 AM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Hitec 6 series servos are known for their ruggednesss and reliability, but NOT for their centering abilities.

Hitec itself recommends the 545BB (70 oz/in at 6 volts) for applications where entering is important.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:38 AM
Jim D
My Feedback: (8)

Default Good Advice

Originally posted by LuvBipes
Hitec 6 series servos are known for their ruggednesss and reliability, but NOT for their centering abilities.

Hitec itself recommends the 545BB (70 oz/in at 6 volts) for applications where entering is important.
I used some of the 605's on the elevators of my H9 Cap. With the long servo arms and 3D throws, their centering error becomes a real problem. I am probably going to try some of the 5625 Digitals, as they claim to center much better.

The 605's/615's are great for the money, but if you need precision, don't go there.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:42 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

If you must go cheap, here's a standard sized servo with good torque costing a few dollars more than the typical 45 Oz.in. standard:

Expert SL571 Standard, High Torque, BB
Torque: 62.4 oz.in. (at 4.8V??)
Speed: .21 sec./60°
Weight: 1.35oz.
Size: 1.51x.73x1.37
Uses: .40 to 1.20 size planes, gliders, throttle, air retract, mixture
Price: $17.95

Not quite in the same leaque as the 605/615BB, but if you're gonna pay $12-15 for a ho-hum standard, this one is a much better deal. BTW, I have been told that Expert is made by JR.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:12 PM
punkey71
My Feedback: (3)

Default Radical RC servos...?

How about the specs/price of the servos Dave Thacker is selling at RadicalRC.....The prices are fantastic. Anyone have any thoughts on em...? I've never heard a report on em but I'm tempted with those prices....of course I don't wanna bury a plane because I saved $50 on servos for it....It just doesn't make sense.

Standard (48oz) $9
Hi-Torque (69oz) $13 (4 for $50)
Mega Torque metal gears (103oz) $23

Metal gears are $5 extra for standard and hi-torque.

Thanks,
Harold
Old 04-17-2002, 05:26 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

I love radical RC but the standard servo I had was noisy and failed after 20-30 flights on the throttle of a joss stick. For my money there is no better servo (less corless or digital) than the hitec 545. loads of torque and speed especially at 6 volts. All my planes have 545's on the elevator- period. 5 pole motor is very precise. And The 225 is fragile. I had a 225 on the rudder of a gp shoestring and it stripped out within a few months
The 425 is also a great servo at a very reasonable price for up to 120 size planes. I have worn out 2 HS 77 motors on the rudder of my hard bet fun fly but the 425's in the ailerons are still good as new. And these are some pretty good size ailerons
Old 04-18-2002, 12:56 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM FOR ALL APPLICATIONS, but if price is a factor and you want torque-- GWS servos are hard to beat with a 6 V pack. Sorta slow with a 4.8 though. They center well--but sorta bounce back to center. Great for a slow big flyer--dependable and last a while---just my opinion.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:52 PM
visioneer_one

Originally posted by Volfy
, I have been told that Expert is made by JR.
Seems like it. I have a pair of SL300 micros running the ailerons on my (ancient!) Sparrow sloper... the last time I stripped a gear and needed a replacement I found that they use the same gearset as the JR 341 micro.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:56 PM
visioneer_one

Speaking of the GWS servos - has anyone tried their coreless ones? They appear to have similar specs to the GREAT coreless servos which FMA has (sadly) discontinued.

Good prices, too.

link? http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/trans...oductId=BP220F
Old 04-18-2002, 02:54 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Default Re: Any suggestions on Hitec 615MG or 645MG???

Originally posted by windsurfer
Since we are talking about Hitec servos, I want to ask about Hitec 615MG or 645MG servos.
I see that these guys have 100 oz torque.
Do they hold up well if I use ONLY one of them for actuating 2 flaps on a 80" wardbird? Any reliability issues? And most importantly, do they neutralize (center) well?
Please let me know
These are good servos, but Hitec sells a very competitive digital that goes in the same mounts, and centers perfectly. I have been using the digitals on the tail surfaces of my Stinger with oversized surfaces and a Brison 3.2.

If there was any centering problem it would be quite apparent on the elevators, as it is neutraly balanced and very responsive. I actually had to reduce the authority of the trim button because each "click" made too much difference to the pitch. Right now, standing 10 feet away, I cannot see the difference 1 click makes in the elevator setting. However - in the air the 5645 has the precision to make the fine changes and hold there. If it wasn't centering precisely, I wouldn't be able to fly this plane level - not easily anyway.

BTW- These servos not only have the driving torque, they have a much higher holding torque. They are available around $55 from various places on the web. Good stuff.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:52 PM
AJF--2

Speaking of the GWS servos - has anyone tried their coreless ones?
Yes I have and they are not bad at all-a good value for the money -However, if I am going to spend $45 on a coreless I would add a few dollars more and get digit Multiplex Royals or Hitech digit.
Old 04-19-2002, 03:12 AM
visioneer_one

Oof. Maxx Products used to list these for $40 a throw - now at $60 apiece.

MPX has discontinued making the mc/v2 digitals, and the Digi line are way more expensive than was originally projected.

Yah - in that price range yuo might as well go with the Hitec digitals.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:38 AM
AJF--2

I was not aware Multiplex had discontinued the mc/v2-- My LHS bought some a while back, (he liked mine and thought they would sell)
Old 04-19-2002, 12:41 PM
visioneer_one

The mc/V2 PROGRAMMABLE servos have gone out of the line. The Digi servos that replace them are supposed to be quite good but are only programmable for reverse operation. If yuo want to run two servos on a single surface and want to match them, you'll have to look elsewhere.