Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

FOAM TIRES NTC3!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Scottyrox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOAM TIRES NTC3!!!

What tires should I get for my NTC3, I purchased Jaco tires 26mm front, 30mm rear. I tried them on the car and the rears rub. The guy in the hobby shop told me these were the one for my car...I think he was wrong. Would an offset rear be the correct ones? Which brand is the best for my asphalt racing??? Thanks!
Old 10-02-2004, 05:58 PM
blazethatish

Default RE: FOAM TIRES NTC3!!!

i have 40s in the front 35s in the back..
jaco foams
Old 10-02-2004, 10:52 PM
PitStops
My Feedback: (1)

The best tires I have found are from Gandini Racing products (GRP) they make Ellegi, Fast tire and others. killer product and you can find them for a good price at rcmart.com like 7.50 a pair usually. there multi spoke wheels are very strong also (if you don't like dish wheels like me) I have never broken one of there wheels.

Bryan
Old 10-03-2004, 01:23 PM
RastaForI

You can get Jaco Wheels Mounted & Trued from a pretty straight foward site called www.Brucknerhobbies.com the price is $11.99 per pair.

I ordered 0 Degree fronts and rears 40's in the front and 35's in the rear.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:28 PM
RastaForI

[X(] Oops I meant $10.99, they also sell Ellegi Foams mounted for the same price.

Bruckner also has the best seclection of R/C videos I've seen. I have the XXXMain video on the way.

Good Luck
Old 10-03-2004, 01:35 PM
B.T.D.T.

I just checked out the site and is $10.99pr.
Shipping is $6.99[:'(]
Or pickup will cost gas and tolls[&o]
For me, I have to add tax[:@].
Thanks
Old 10-04-2004, 09:51 PM
ZipZap

To answer your original question, yes, 30mm rears (0 deg offset) and 26mm fronts are the correct sizes for 200mm nitro. If you're running a 200mm body, and it's mounted correctly, then the tires should not rub.

Are you running a gauge derived track width? At gauge settings, with 30mm rears, the width is right under 200mm on my car.

As far as the brand of tire, you'll see many opinions. I really like the performance of jaco's, but they seem to chunk too easily for me. I've used several other brands that gave differing levels of performance and wear. If the jaco's are giving you reasonable wear, then there's no reason to switch.

As far as what shore to use, every surface is different. I usually start with 40's all around at a new track and adjust accordingly.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Scottyrox

[quote]ORIGINAL: ZipZap

To answer your original question, yes, 30mm rears (0 deg offset) and 26mm fronts are the correct sizes for 200mm nitro. If you're running a 200mm body, and it's mounted correctly, then the tires should not rub.

Mr.ZipZap....I didn't mention where the tires were rubbing, The body sits fine. The Jaco's were rubbing on the inside against the hub carrier. When I tried the Ellegi's there was more space so they didn't rub. Both were 0 deg offset. I like the ellegi's but I also heard good things about the Jaco's. How much difference in the handling if I tried the smallest offset in the Jaco's Thanks for answering, Scotty

P.S. I think I will try the same shore in the front and rear,as I was told by LHS, to get a higher number for the front
Old 10-09-2004, 04:28 PM
AJ DRAGON

Why do you put bigger tires on the back of your car. I thout you put the same size tires on both front and back.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:33 PM
RastaForI

The bigger number in the front is the shore, or hardness. The higher the number, the harder the foam tire. A usual set of jaco's with 40 fronts and 35 rears, would be 26 mm fronts and 30 mm rears with the softer tire in the back for those that prefer that. (Just visually the rear tires will be bigger) In the previous post the preference was 40's all around. Maybe if the track causes the cars rear end to be loose he may go to a softer rear, or lower shore. Please correct me guys if im wrong.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2004, 10:21 PM
gosha

Guys,

Any experience with Yokomo wheels?
Just found these n ebay. [link]http://users.sisna.com/hcamper/16/yok2/yoktw0113a.jpg[/link]
Are they good?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26544.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	181522  
Old 10-12-2004, 02:22 AM
Asmodi

ORIGINAL: AJ DRAGON

Why do you put bigger tires on the back of your car. I thout you put the same size tires on both front and back.
Firstly, the most important factor to having a set-up car, is zeroed settings (sterring/camber/toe caster/droop/ride height...etc all set the same preferably factory settings), chassis balance, and tires once that is in the bag then you can start tuning the car to your driving style, then to the track.

One reason for the tire size difference has to do with weight shift under acceleration and braking.

For me the rear of cars has always been the deciding factor when racing, either its too loose or its too tight. Why bigger tires? 3 reasons, when accelerating all the weight is transfered to the rear of the car, therefore the rear tires are doing most of the work fighting for traction, yes these cars are AWD, but if you could watch it in slow-mo you would see the fronts missing now and again, and when you start to add steering into the equation the traction loss on the front becomes greater. As for braking and cornering, under braking you weight shifts forward, causing you to loose traction to the rear, which should be made up or be made less of a factor by runnning larger, and generally softer tires, so for what traction they loose becasue of the weight shift they kinda make up for as just being grippier. As for cornering, both above reasons are combined, except when the car is running neutral, no brake, no accel. like a long sweeper.

Sorry if it doesnt make alot of sense, easier to explain and show then to write, good resources are the XXX Main touring car setup, or the AE setup book.

Hope it helps
Old 10-12-2004, 01:36 PM
wywlice

ORIGINAL: Asmodi

ORIGINAL: AJ DRAGON

Firstly, the most important factor to having a set-up car, is zeroed settings (sterring/camber/toe caster/droop/ride height...etc all set the same preferably factory settings), chassis balance, and tires once that is in the bag then you can start tuning the car to your driving style, then to the track.

One reason for the tire size difference has to do with weight shift under acceleration and braking.

For me the rear of cars has always been the deciding factor when racing, either its too loose or its too tight. Why bigger tires? 3 reasons, when accelerating all the weight is transfered to the rear of the car, therefore the rear tires are doing most of the work fighting for traction, yes these cars are AWD, but if you could watch it in slow-mo you would see the fronts missing now and again, and when you start to add steering into the equation the traction loss on the front becomes greater. As for braking and cornering, under braking you weight shifts forward, causing you to loose traction to the rear, which should be made up or be made less of a factor by runnning larger, and generally softer tires, so for what traction they loose becasue of the weight shift they kinda make up for as just being grippier. As for cornering, both above reasons are combined, except when the car is running neutral, no brake, no accel. like a long sweeper.

Sorry if it doesnt make alot of sense, easier to explain and show then to write, good resources are the XXX Main touring car setup, or the AE setup book.

Hope it helps

So, What size shold be the best for Racing ? should be 24mm on the front and 26mm on the rear. is that good or 26mm on the front and 30mm on the rear ? Thank you !
Old 10-12-2004, 02:04 PM
B.T.D.T.

For Foam tires, I use 26mm 40 shore for the front and 30mm 37 shore in the rear. The car handles pretty good with that setting. I was informed last weekend by my LHS that I should use both same shore front and back. They told me that the same shore in the front is actually firmer. He pulled both front and rear tires out of the box and told me to close my eyes and to tell which is softer or firmer. The front tires were firmer with the same shore rating. I was very surprise. I will give that set of tires a try soon.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:16 AM
Asmodi

ORIGINAL: B.T.D.T.

For Foam tires, I use 26mm 40 shore for the front and 30mm 37 shore in the rear. The car handles pretty good with that setting. I was informed last weekend by my LHS that I should use both same shore front and back. They told me that the same shore in the front is actually firmer. He pulled both front and rear tires out of the box and told me to close my eyes and to tell which is softer or firmer. The front tires were firmer with the same shore rating. I was very surprise. I will give that set of tires a try soon.

Yes I have heard this also, many times with many different people, and of course I have heard the oppisite, really I think its just a matter of which company makes the tire, also as great as the human hand is, I dont think it can tell a 01-02 shore difference, I bet with a durometer you would notice a difference. Dont know why a company would make a tire rated at 40 when its actually a 42, then whats the point of even having a standard? We can just go back to the Color days, and Ill run my Double Pinks on the front and Blues on the rear.......(hell I dont remember what the colors were

I run 26mm shore 40 on front and 30mm shore 38 on rear, not for racing, just for tooling around right now, however if you race on a track regularly then you should find the tire that works for the track, ask around most people will tell you.