Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Engine trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 06:22 AM
Gorbee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine trouble

Hey. I'm running a Carson CS4 (not sure what type of engine but its the stock one) and I've been trying to get it started but all i can hear is the typical farting like noise it makes when it fires but the engine doesn't run. I was thinking it could be an air leak but not entirely sure. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:08 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine trouble

Try these...

Try this first. You might NOT have an air leak, but following these steps will make sure that you dont. http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/fix_airleaks.asp

If you do this and the engine doesnt start follow these steps and try again.
* Check glow starter/plug. Replace the plug if necessary.
* Prime engine properly. Make sure there is enough fuel in the engine to start it, but not so much that it becomes "hydrolcked".
* Return to factory needle settings. Check the manual and return the needles to the recommended positions (a poorly tuned car is very difficult to start).
* Increase the idle slightly. Usually you want a 1-2mm opening in the carb when idle or full brake is applied. Alter this with the idle adjustment screw on the engine. This will make sure that enough fuel/air is entering the engine when the thrittle is not being applied. If it is difficult to start increase the idle slightly using the throttle trim on the transmitter by about 1mm (2-3m opening MAX). Be aware that when the engine starts you will need to drop the idle again using the trim (after a few blips of the throttle while the car is off the ground) to prevent the engine revving too fast and engaging the clutch at idle.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:29 AM
RcSuCkA

try leaning out the high speed needle a lil, or try richening it.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:50 AM
enjoymentboy

I have one of these and there are a few things you can do.

First make absolutely certain that your glow plug warmer is fully charged. You will end up draining it before you get the engine fully tuned.

Ditch the stock glow plug. They are NOT good. An OS #8 or McCoy mc59 are great choices.

Run 20% nitro. You can go higher but these engines are hard enough to tune and going higher only makes it tougher.

The stock carbs on these engines leave a LOT to be desired. I have found an OS 10e carb to be an excellent choice and they are a direct swap. They can be found pretty cheap on ebay. I paid $10 CDN with shipping for one.

I have had to do a lot of modifications to my engine but it now runs perfectly, I have no tuning problems and it makes great power.

So, as you are now here's what I'd suggest you do:

Go over every screw on the car and make sure they are all tight. I found a few on mine that were not tight and they could have caused a big problem. Fill your tank and DO NOT use the primer button on the tank. They will start to leak pretty quickly.

Make sure the main needle is open 2 1/2 turns from fully closed. This is a rich starting point. Plug the exhaust with your finger and pull the pull start in short quick strokes until the fuel just reaches the carb. Now give it 2 more pulls. You should be well primed. Put the plug warmer on the plug and let it sit for 10 seconds. Make sure your carb is at the idle position and give short quick pulls on the pull starter. It may take a bit for it to start. These engines are a little tough to start when new. It does get much easier though. Once it's running leave the plug warmer on. It will help it stay running while you tune it. Start running in circles and figure 8's at no more than 1/4 throttle to let it warm up. After about 30 seconds you can take of the plug warmer. If it dies right away you are too rich and should turn in the needle 1/16th turn to lean it out a bit. Restart and try again. You want to keep doing this until it will continue to run without the plug warmer on. At 20% nitro you should find that the best tune will come at around 2 1/8 turns but your setting can be different. You should be able to get a good top speed with a nice smoke trail and still have it idle well.

Have patience. this is the toughest part of the hobby and it does get easier the more you do it. Usually I can get a new engine tuned within 5 minutes but that's only because I've been doing it for 24 years.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more help.

Enjoymentboy