Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

vxl-3s

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:34 PM
mudbucket72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vxl-3s

i was wondering if i modified this esc if i could run 2 motors on it or .. if any one has any idea where i can find a dual motor waterproof esc.. its for a rs10xt with 4ws
Old 03-03-2011, 04:09 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: vxl-3s

ORIGINAL: mudbucket72

i was wondering if i modified this esc if i could run 2 motors on it or .. if any one has any idea where i can find a dual motor waterproof esc.. its for a rs10xt with 4ws
dont know about running duel brushed on the vxl ESC.
you could run the traxxas emaxx ESC.

the rs10 has 390 motors, and id bet that you could run both off the waterproof xl-5 motor without any issues.

there are other waterproof duel motor ESC's but they cost almost as much as the truck...lol. im sure you are not looking to spend more than $50 for a new ESC.

best bet is to waterproof the stock one yourself. i know the job can seem scary, but its not that hard to do.

also, did you know the stock ESC can handle a 3s lipo? it doesnt have low-voltage cutoff, but you can just use a $4 LVA. it will give the motors more torque and greater top speed(which is good for snow/mud)
the rs10's ESC is the same one used in the 1/8 scale rockslide! that one uses 100t 540 motors. so, running 11.1 volts to power the smaller 390's is no problem for it.
thats how i have my rs10 setup right now.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:37 PM
K_B

You most likely can run dual brushed motors on the VXL ESC. It is designed to run brushed motors, so adding another motor in a parrallel configuration isn't going to hurt it.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:11 PM
mudbucket72

yea i didnt figure it would beacuse the vxl-3s says it has no motor limit
Old 03-03-2011, 04:12 PM
mudbucket72

would i go about waterproofing the stock esc??? and what are some good hi torq waterproof servos
Old 03-03-2011, 04:20 PM
zman5000

the vxl3s is for brushless motors, i don't think it can run 2 motors. i have one and it doesn't say anything about that, though most all brushless motors need a speed control of their own.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:32 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

would i go about waterproofing the stock esc??? and what are some good hi torq waterproof servos
you buy "plastic dip" you can find it in a spray can, or in a can with a brush.
you open up the ESC's case. then coat the entire board with the product. it makes a plastic waterproof casing.
watch vid:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_lQXDzS3pA[/youtube]
also, if you put the plastic dip on all the seams of the stock servos and put alittle grease where the servo shaft comes out of the case then it will be waterproof
Old 03-03-2011, 10:20 PM
K_B

ORIGINAL: zman5000

the vxl3s is for brushless motors, i don't think it can run 2 motors. i have one and it doesn't say anything about that, though most all brushless motors need a speed control of their own.
I thought it was brushless only too, but according to A-Main, it'll run brushed too, in which case, you can easily run two crawler motors.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:11 PM
mudbucket72

just how waterproof would the servo be beacuse i wanna go mud bogging with it
Old 03-04-2011, 04:44 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

just how waterproof would the servo be beacuse i wanna go mud bogging with it
you can do it a few different ways.

you can get liquid electrical tape at walmart(auto section)
its a rubbery liquid that you spread on the servo' case seams and over the case screws. then let it dry.
and put some grease behind the servo horn.

you can also wrap regular electrical tape on the seams of the servo case. wrap it tight. maybe not the best for driving in water, but good enough for mud or snow driving.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:38 PM
mudbucket72

just coated the esc and got all the seams of the servo boxes with plasti dip  and greased up the servo horn .. should i be good on  lets say driving through a deep puddle??.. i mean deep
Old 03-04-2011, 06:47 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

just coated the esc and got all the seams of the servo boxes with plasti dip and greased up the servo horn .. should i be good on lets say driving through a deep puddle??.. i mean deep
dont forget your reciever! needs to be in a ballon, with a zip tie closing the end of the ballon with the wires and antenna coming out.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:59 PM
mudbucket72

i got the reciver in the traxxas waterproof box with plasti dip around all the seams
Old 04-14-2011, 11:13 PM
gohstwrighter

first i have this system in my slash 4x4 and trusting traxxas i drove it in a large mud pudel it did as stated the first few runs but one day burnt out the esc  so be carfule what ever you doo . that sed i wood try to seal it with hot melt or mount it in a small rubermade contaner and seal it with hot melt as for the recever box whare the wires go in/out it uses a fom pad sandwich  and ruber O ringso u shoud hot melt or cover in a balune. as for runninh 2 brush moters  from what i understand of the system ther is one  hot lead (+)yello in the center and 2 negiteve leads (-)blue and white
(you should hook to a batery/TX/RX and test with a volt meater to be sure) if im right you should hook a (-)from each moter to each(-)wire and split the (+) to help keep evean power try to make the wires the same lingth from the(+)to the moters.the wire workes as a resistor to some extent and could cause over heating in one or the other moter.

i hope this helps .best of luck and have fun.