Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

SCX10 with Unimog shell

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 05:48 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default SCX10 with Unimog shell

I'm a rote newbie to crawlers. You'll usually find me over at the RC tanks forum. I've been involved with those since the 1970s
and mostly gas/glow at that but have a lot to learn regarding crawlers. I bought a Axial SCX10 chassis as I purely as I liked
the look of it and the way it is made. I have had experience with the old Kyosho Land Jump and Playtron buggies.

I've read threads on the Tamiya CC01 family and I was tempted to purchase a derivative and I still may.

My plan for this isn't really as a strict crawler and I'm more interested in making a more or less scale Unimog out of it using an
after market hard body(ABS) shell. But I'd like it to have crawling possibilities...

Not having differentials but rather fixed solid shafts may be an issue so after looking around I see there might be options to change the
axles to use live differentials by Integy? Who here has done this and if so what are the pitfalls? How much strength and reliability will I be
sacrificing? Also I see there are remotely ( at least I believe they are) lockable axles; are these any good? I'm going to go admit it: I
love gadgets so all of this appeals to me on a fundamental level.

As an older nearly retired old dude I don't expect to be out there crashing through the trails and river beds with all you young whippersnappers
but I want reliability and power, above all power. I really want to try a 80 turn motor with a 3:1 reduction unit going into the SCX10's transmission
but something tells me I'd regret it...

Please be kind to an ( old) newbie!

Thoughts?

Jerry
Old 06-21-2017, 06:43 PM
RustedRC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Tanque.
I can't comment on the CC01 but a unimog would be cool.
I have used axles that can be locked/unlocked and it is a cool feature that can be helpful. my creeper had them for a while. i thought the idea was good but venom failed with the plastic parts and pin setup in the diff. harley's review on the new traxxas trx-4 showed good promise with how they did lockable diffs. i will always go for a solid axle truck verses an independent axle set up. just my preference. less parts to break.
An 80 T. that might be a little slow. i use a integy 60 T in the creeper i spoke of and it is really slow. the slowest one i have. great power but snail slow. power is good but if you don't have enough wheel speed it can hinder you sometimes.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:28 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tamiya do make a CC01 unimog kit and a CR01 unimog kit they might be worth looking into

im 99% sure the CC01 had differentials, it has a solid axle at the rear and interdependent suspension up front

and im not to sure but ive got a sneaking suspicion that the CR01 might too but its got solid axles front and rear... either way tamiya does have parts for spools or differentials

just keep in mind, the tamiya kits are considerably smaller and not as capable as a scx10

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-58609-c...cPath=420_1167

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-cr01-me...cPath=420_1167

Last edited by phmaximus; 07-28-2017 at 03:32 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:27 PM
Mike Flea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, but they're a whole lotta fun!
Old 08-01-2017, 06:52 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CC01 can be locked up front with the old silly putty or hot glue in the diff to lock it up. CR01 I believe is different as it does have the set up for 4wd steering if you get into it. Tamiya still in my opinion doesn't have a proper "crawler" chassis. Both the CC01 and CR01 or both more trail rigs.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 08-01-2017 at 06:56 PM.