Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

TLT-1

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 04:17 PM
hopesfall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TLT-1

Hi, i would like to purchase a TLT-1 to run inside and outside my house. It would be used for some crawling as well as just bashing in my backyard and on the asphalt. This will also be my first electric so i will needeverything. Could someone post a decent setup to accomplish these goals? It doesnt have to be lightening quick, but i would like alittle speed. I already know what i am buying battery/charger wise. I will need a reciever,servo,radio,spare motor correct (tires and glue maybe?)? I know i should get bearings as well. What bearings should i get? Will the stock gearing be ok? Please post the equipment which you think would be right for me. I am looking to spend <$500. Maybe alittle more.

If possible also post a site which sells hop ups for the TLT as i will eventually be looking into these!
Old 06-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: TLT-1

Here is my recomendation:

Motor: Since you want a little speed, use a Trinity P2K2 motor. This will give you a top end of around 16-17mph and still give you very good climbing power. With a stock set up and locked center differential it will pop wheelies with ease. Price around $30.00

ESC: Find the smallest ESC you can find for a good price that can handle down to 15 or so turns (just in case you want more speed, but a P2K2 is plenty for the TLT-1). I like Mtronik ESC's since they are small, fairly cheap and waterproof should you ever need it. For a Sport RV around $40.00

Radio: JR XR2i. This is an excellent radio with lots of options for $90.00. Plus it comes with a great steering servo (metal gear, good torque and speed). Plus you can use this radio with two different cars (it holds two different settings so you can switch between the two).

I would suggest you pick up a GP3300 saddle pack (2 sets of 3 batterys that are seperated). Then mount your electronics in the center of the chassis. I used a RPM Stampede ESC holder, made a few modifications and it works perfectly. This will give you lower center of gravity than with the stock battery, much more run time and better power. This would run you around $40.00 at www.promatchracing.com (assembled).

Wheels and tires are included, but you will need CA glue. You can also upgrade to 2.2" tires and wheels if you wish in the future. HPI RS4 MT wheels work excellent for this. The stock tires are not 2.2", but are smaller.

That would put you at around $340.00 (about $370.00 with bearings) including a nice battery pack, well under what you are looking at. Then you could use the other $100.00 for fun stuff

When you purchase your TLT-1, see if the same company has the bearing kit for it. That's the easiest way to do it. That way you can put them in when you assemble the truck.

Also, make sure you lock out the center differential from the beginning. I used JB Weld and two screws through the differential assembly to lock mine out. If you don't lock it out it won't climb very well and it won't wheelie at all. There is absolutly no need for a center differential, why they didnt' include a solid spool is beyond me.

If you decide to make it into a serious rockcrawler, there are lots and lots of things you can do to it. Mine is quickly transforming into a serious rockcrawler every day.

To show you what can be done for an extra $100.00 or so here is what mine currently looks like. The smaller tire next to it is a tire that comes with the kit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43973.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	141890  
Old 06-13-2004, 09:53 AM
hopesfall

Does the xr2i come with a reciever?
Old 06-13-2004, 10:51 AM
Wookie

Yes, the JR XR2i comes with a receiver.

It comes with the radio, reciever and a nice metal gear servo (75 oz/in torque). The fit, feel and construction is excellent and for the price it's hard to beat.

On Thursday night I locked out all of my differentials, added a bearing kit and 4 wheel steering. My TLT-1 is a pretty mean little climbing machine now. I'm thinking of adding another inch in length to each end of the truck and throwing on some T-Maxx rims and T-Maxx sized tires (I need to find a proper sized hex first though [&:]). If I can get those to fit it will be able to climb tall buildings with a single pull of the trigger
Old 06-19-2004, 07:56 AM
thedottedline

Hey, what brushless system would you recommend to put in this truck?
Old 06-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Wookie

Realistically, you don't need much to get this little truck moving.

I would suggest you look at the Novak Super Sport 4300 (not the 5800). This will give you a little more speed than a stock class motor with better run times and a little more torque.

If you go with a non sensored set up maybe a Schulze 18.61K ESC and a Lehner Basic series motor (3000 RPM per volt range).
Old 06-19-2004, 07:57 PM
cheesy

Ive been seriously looking into getting a tlt1 for blasting around campus in august, and i was wondering where the best place to get the majority of the parts you recommended is. Ive been looking at tower hobbies to get the majority of the car, but they don't have the radio or the esc you recommended. I was also wondering where i can find a set of reasonably priced high torque servos to steer the thing with.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:35 PM
Wookie

I picked my truck up from www.hobbypeople.net

They had the truck for $134.99 a couple of weeks ago, which was the cheapest I had seen at that time. I think www.ultamatehobbies.com (I think that's the address) has them for $119.99 or so.

Hobby People I belive has the radio and I know they have Mtroniks esc's and should have either the P2k or the P2K2 in stock, either will work great. They should also have the bearing kit (though when I ordered mine they were out of stock).

I know Horizon Hobbies carries the JR Radio, which comes with the Z590m steering servo (an excellent servo if you ask me), and you could pick up a second servo for another $40.00 from them as well. If you pick up the JR XR2i you will need a Y-Harness with a servo reverser to run them both (and use the shorter link in the back, well worth it as well). A servo reverser will run you from $9.00 to $18.00. Mine was $8.95 as my LHS.

For rims and tires, any 12mm hex rim will fit, I just like the HPI's the best. You can use Stampede's, RPM, HPI and I'm sure there are others out there. Tires, any 2.2" tire will work, for me the bigger the better . I like IMEX G-Hawgs, Swamp Dawgs and Pullers. I would also suggest you look at Proline Masher 2000's (all of these tires are 4.75" or taller). I would only look at these if you are looking at stretching the wheelbase some. If you are going to keep the stock wheelbase look at something like the IMEX Claw Dawgs (they are only 4" tall), Proline Dirt Hawgs or something similar to them.

Hope this helps some.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:08 PM
cheesy

I’ve pretty much found everything I need, except for a decent battery pack. The TLT-1 stock pack doesn't have enough for me, so I was wondering what other people have done to mount larger packs into the TLT-1? People have mentioned using a saddle pack, but I haven’t actually seen how it’s been done. The battery pack is the last component I need before I order everything, any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:47 PM
Wookie

I've got Sanyo 2400's in mine. It's a little tight in the front, but works well. With my 55t motor and low gearing I get a little over an hour run time out of this pack. Of course my 4mph top speed is nothing to brag about, but it climbs like a goat.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22739.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	146357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35486.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	146358