Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Locking Diffs???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 08:48 PM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking Diffs???

hello. i currently own a kyosho mad force. i have been looking around and i have found about 2 or 3 differential locking kits. are you just supposed to lock your diffs for rock crawling only?? cuz i will do some crawluing but mostly jumps and off road stuff. will the locked diff destroy my clutch and tires? i dont really care about the tires as much as the clutch. but if the diff is locked, wont i get better acceleration because there is no slip in the differential??

kinda long post.........sorry!
Old 06-11-2004, 12:58 PM
airforceone

Default RE: Locking Diffs???

If run a lot on dry pavement or any type of high grip terrain, the drivetrain will suffer. If you just run the truck in dirt grass, it should be okay with a locked differential.[&:]
Old 06-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

wont do anything to the clutch, and not much to the tires unless you run on street a lot. the only thing youll really find bad about it is the slightly bigger turning radius. the truck willbe a lot better on anything rough and especially in mud and snow. youwont notice much more traction on grass thou
Old 06-11-2004, 09:12 PM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

i will be driving in sand, dirt, mud, grass, and snow. not MUCH pavement, but some.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:06 PM
pod12597

Locking your diff will not kill your tires or your clutch, it will just make your turning radius a big bigger since you have both tires turning at the same rate, while an unlocked spidergear lets the inner tire spin slower, and the outer tire spin faster, locking a spider gear does put some more force on the gearbox, but you shall be fine, and does help LOADS for traction and tought spots.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Element

try locking your rear idff first then if you feel the need go for the front but I dought the front will make a difference on a rock jumper

(yes I mean jumper)
Old 06-22-2004, 10:21 PM
cheesy

Is there an efficient way to lock the diffs, but make it reversible. I don't really want to do anything permanent to my truck, I never know what I'm gonna want to do with it in the future.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:37 PM
DCLXVI

At www.rc4wd.com you can buy spools for the Mad Force...just install and when you are done with them, install the stock diff...