Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Whats the best base truck to start with to make a Rock crawler?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Whats the best base truck to start with to make a Rock crawler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 11:50 PM
4ruggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best base truck to start with to make a Rock crawler?

I have a nylint but wnat something that you can customize more and is all around better. So can anyone give me ther opions on which base rc 4x4 is good to start with.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:46 AM
shortbusjeep

Default RE: Whats the best base truck to start with to make a Rock crawler?

the tlt is a great base as is the txt and clod, it depends on what you want.

clods are easy to build and become very capable crawlers... lots of aftermarket support out there

txts take a bit more work due to the tranny needed to be kept in mind but can be as capable as a clod.. less after market support

tlts are great and can be modified very easy. also very good if terrain is less challangeing around you. becasue it is smaller. ok after market suport.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:54 AM
armedtotheteeth

BUILD YOUR OWN!! Ingenuety for the win.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

yeah TLTs are a nice build...if its a 1/18 nylint a tlt should be plenty big enough for the stuff you are currently running on, and fairly cheap...
Old 02-06-2006, 06:24 PM

ya tlt or clod the tlt looks more like a real truck but i like clods better (i dont no wy i just do) but i think you should go tlt.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:51 AM
4ruggy

My nylint is a 1/6 scale and that is about the size i like. I am leaning towards a clod or txt-1. I have had rc's before it has been awhile. My wife bought me a 1/6 nylint for christmas. I have modified it as much as i can. So i want to get another one i can modify for extreme rock terrain. I have a real Rock buggy am building which will go anwhere i want to take it so i would like my rc the same way. I thank you all for your help.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:20 AM
shortbusjeep

well then, a clod is a bit easyer and can be made nearly unstopable, txts are also cool you just need to make a bit more of your own stuff. they both cost an arm and a leg so its up to you, shafty or clod, noone can make that decision for ya...
Old 02-08-2006, 07:55 AM

clods are way easyer and can be more capable.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:32 PM
clodbrett

Nylint = Lame as hell

Just for the record, if you want to build a real crawler there are a few options.. How much money do you have? do you want it to be scale? or just fun to crawl with

If you have tons of cash, get an X-Factor 2 and use the axles and links, and make your own chassis and tranny, and run a 55t lathe motor
If you have decent cash, get a twin force and do the same,

Both of these are shaft driven, and if you don't have alot of experience with driveline geometry/placement and carrier bearings, prepare for a big heartache

Clodbuster is a great first crawler project, and they kick major ass. I built mine from scrap aluminum I bought at a sheet metal shop here in town. It took me a couple of months from stock clodbuster to decked out crawler. You will learn alot and there is great resources to be had here, and at www.rccrawler.com The guys there are kind of jackasses though. They all think they are the best people ever. but anyway What makes the clod so great is that the transmissions are built into each axle, and it carries the weight of the motors and tranny right over the axle so your center of gravity is super low

The TLT is cool too, but it will be a little more scale and has much more narrow axles than the Xfactor or the Twin force. The tlt is shaft driven as well so you will need to expierment with driveline geometry and tranny location etc, though there are a few ready to mount your parts kits available for TLT chassis. I couldn't spend that kind of money in good conscience I find it to be more fun to build the stuff than buy it, but thats just me buying a ready to go chassis kit ready for axles is a great way to go too, and you can get a really complete setup if you have the money

The Clod has at least 5 ready to go chassis kits ready for your axles and ESC/radio gear

so do some research and ask any questions you need to

_bR3T7
Old 02-09-2006, 11:21 PM
4ruggy

Well thanks again, i have been doing lots of research on each one. I am trying to get some clod axles on ebay. But with what they are going for i might have to go another route. I want to build my own chassis and all. I am a hobby fabricator so i like to build my own stuff. I know the nylint is lame but it got my fever going to build a better one. I have done as much work to it as i can and i am sure i will break it soon. So i want to start another project. I wanted to start with Clod axles and go from there. So i will see but i am glad you are all willing to help.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:17 AM
clodbrett

Yeah sure thing man

I'm new to this forum, but I've been into crawlers for about 3 years. I have a Clod, all hand built and a Twin Forced Axle Crawler as well [sm=punching.gif] The Twin Force axles are appart right now and I'm designing a new chassis, and a tranny from scratch

If you fab, you should definately look into the X-Factor axles, You can make insane crawlers with these axles because of how beefy they are. You WILL have to mess with drivelines though. Check out www.rccrawler.com People sell stuff on there alot, and if you can't find what you want, ask in the appropriate forum. Clod axles ALWAYS sell though, X-Factor axles are a little more readily available right now

_bR3T
Old 02-10-2006, 01:42 AM
shortbusjeep

if you go shafty get a txt xfactor axles are super huge, wide i mean, and that can be a pain in the butt, i made a maxx based crawler and ran in to that probem and the maxx has 2.5 inchs of under axle clearence. go with a txt or clod. or a tlt if your on a buget, to tell you the truth the tlt is my favorite crawler right now, easy to find hard stuff to crawl and very very capable.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:00 PM
4ruggy

So do you guy's have any pics of your Rc crawler. I would like to see them if you don't mind posting them.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:49 AM
Dstokes

is there a difference in the 1/18 scale txt-1 ,or is there a 1/8 scale txt-1.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:08 PM
clodbrett

TLT-1 = 1/18th scale TXT-1 = 1/10th scale (usually about 1/8th when modified though.. )

Everyone seems to think the TLT crawlers are the best thing since bread.. And to be honest, I don't mind them.. I just think Clod's are way cooler. Twin force axles are even cooler yet. And as far as getting Stampede trannies, yeah thats cool, but might as well just buy some gears and make your own. Its not hard. Slap a gd600 on it (reduction unit for electric airplanes to use bigger props, sold on tower hobbies) and you can get about 150:1 with ease. My clod uses stock gear boxes with 8t pinions, and its mean

The TLT blows stock though, be warned. You have to mod the crap out of it to be cool. You can make a pretty scale looking crawler out of the TLT pretty easy

_bR3T7
Old 02-12-2006, 11:19 PM
shortbusjeep

about 20 bucks of mods and a tlt will beat the crap out of a stock clod, a stock clod blows, pretty much everything but the axles blow on a clod, clods are cool and have a lot of potentential. it really up to you on what you can get ahold of and what you want.