Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Sterling plans for America or Emma C Berry

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Sterling plans for America or Emma C Berry

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:22 AM
cbinfl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sterling plans for America or Emma C Berry

I'll try and tell what I did. It's been awhile though. Cut a hatch where the steering wheel is about 2.5 x 2.5". I installed a turning block as far back as possible and a steering arm on the rudder post here.. At the bow another turning block attached to a piece of .25 x .25" square bass wood. The bass stick is to extend the block as far forward as possible. I installed a Hitec drum winch with the receiver and rudder servo under the main cabin. Ran a continuous loop from the winch around the two turning blocks. Pull 'in' was from the bow. Main was attached first with sail full out. Fore mast was attached to a split ring riding on the continuous loop. A bowser was threaded on the continuous loop that could slide. The bowser was aft of the split ring and the ring could not pass it. The bowser was slid to adjust the travel of the foresail. This allowed the main to start in before the foresail. Another was attached for the staysail and adjusted the same way. Sounds complicated, but worked really well. Easier to do than describe ! Batteries under the main hatch ec.

charlie
Old 11-30-2009, 04:37 PM
DaveB

ME,

If the written "Sailing Instructions" as written on the plan would be helpful, I believe I can provide that information to you. Send me a PM if you're interested and we'll go from there.

DaveB
Old 12-01-2009, 01:30 PM
michaele69

Thanks for the replies.

I have the documentation that came with the kit. Installing everything before the deck was attached would not be too hard. I was just having trouble trying to figure it all out after the deck was installed.

Thanks Charlie. That is what I was thinking. We'll see how it works out.

Anybody ever tried a swing arm?

ME.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:48 PM
cbinfl

Michael,  I think a swing arm will not give enough length for the main, even with a double hall on the sheet.  Where the sheet is attached to the boom can adjust the length, but needs to be near the stern to help hold the boom down when beating to weather.   I don't remember the length required , but a swing arm didn't work for me.  My 2 cents more.  Good luck.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:34 AM
michaele69

Thanks for the help. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

ME.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:44 PM
garyshiow

I built the Sterling Emma C. Berry Schooner version in 1975 and had her sailing under RC for about three years. I left the States to spend 23 years in the Muddle East and lost track of the model. I would dearly love to build her again if anyone still has plans/forms/manuals. I was really sorry to hear the kits are no longer available except at auction prices.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:21 PM
cbinfl

Gary, I have a jpeg of the original plan sheet and some tracings i made of the formers when I built the model back in the late 70's. I think 2 of the formers are missing but there should be enough to due the job. If you want I can email them to you. Best to contact me through my website, www.pondyachts.net. There are some photos of my Emma C Berry on the site.

Charlie
Old 05-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Bob/ORN

I'm looking for patterns to remake the long-lost sails for the Sterling kit I built in 1972. Would you be willing to copy or photograph the plans??

Thanks

Bob
Old 07-19-2011, 04:10 PM
DaveB

Bob,

Were you able to find the sail patterns for the Emma C. Berry? If not, I do have a copy of the plan and we can work something out. Let me know.

DaveB
Old 08-27-2011, 08:43 PM
birchgrovejlb

I have just purchased a semi-completed Sterling model "Emma C. Berry". Ihave all of the plans and it appears an abundence of parts. While I have built and/or restored several RC sailbiats (CR914, Victoria, Fairwind and in the ways what looks like an Atkins "Ingrid" based on a Colin Archer design ( a real challenge since I am making it up as I go). The Emma is my chosen winter undertaking since I am taking it slow with the Ingrid. I have sail plans etc.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:07 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I know it's bee 6 years since the last entry on this forum but I like RC Universe so much better than RC Groups. Anyway, I recently acquired a Sterling Emma C Berry kit and have started putting her together. On of the first decisions I made was to plank the hull instead of using the sheet balsa that comes with the kit. That turns out to be a horrific and time consuming experience. I get to work on her 3 days a week and can usually get only one row of planking done in a weekend. I'm not using CA since it is not water proof - I'm using Gorilla Glue clear and with wetting the basswood and letting it dry then glue drying time it takes a lot of time. Plus each row is about 4 planks per side and they have to be done one at a time.
I'll get into more detail if there is interest but I wanted at least to rejuvenate this thread.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:21 AM
Jerelyn

Default Need printed plans

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have the Sterling modes Emma C, Berry but no printed pland. How do I get a printed copy of the plans?

Thank you
Old 11-30-2021, 03:58 PM
BD5wingnut
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default plans availability

Hello Jerelyn

I have a decent set of plans, that I can make copies of, I also have some tracings of the hull sheeting that will help when it comes time to plank the hull.

If you can cover cost of copying and shipping, I won't bother with my labor. Plans rolled in a tube are the most expensive but best for the plans. Folded in an envelope is cheaper but obviously not so great on the plans.
If you can send me you zip I can calculate the various costs and let you pick.

Peace, Wolf
Old 12-02-2021, 07:32 AM
thomas.armstrong

Emma C Berry plans are available here: http://www.allradiosailboats.com/design/emmaBerry
Old 11-20-2022, 02:26 PM
canal1949

Originally Posted by davhill
To anyone wanting the complete Sterling "Emma C Berry" plans, or the bulkhead patterns, and/or a collection of magazine articles pertaining to the history of the Berry & of building the Sterling model, please contact me directly at "davhill at att.net", and I will send you a list of items and costs. I regret I can't provide these for free, but WILL do so for copy-cost-plus-shipping.

The plans are oversized and double-sided, so the copy is 4 sheets approx 30"x40". The last copy was about $30, though I'm seeking a cheaper copying source. Bulkhead patterns are 14 sheets mixed 8x11" & 11x17", $2.50 postpaid.

Regards, David Hill, Franklin MA (www.windjam.com\emmacberry)
Hello, I`m looking for building plans for the Sterling models kit.... Emma C. Berry kit #... B21M. I have the original plans but their old and falling apart in my hands. Please let me know if you still have a set I could buy . thank you!

Old 11-28-2022, 10:57 AM
thomas.armstrong

Hi - look here - I think you'll find what you are looking for....
http://www.allradiosailboats.com/design/emmaBerry
Old 04-14-2024, 08:43 PM
Jimbo1946

I am currently completing a Sterling "Emma C. Berry" a partially complete purchase off of ebay several years ago. It came with most of the parts to complete and had a set of plans that were in terrible condition. I had the plans professionally copied at a large format print shop. If you are still in the hunt for a set I can have my copy copied for about $15. Just let me know.

Jimbo1946
Old 04-14-2024, 08:57 PM
Jimbo1946

Careful! As near as I can tell, the building instructions on the referenced site are for the single masted smack and not the schooner and they appear to be out of scale.
Old 04-15-2024, 06:12 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I covered my plans with clear shelf paper. It worked great. It took me about 4.5 years to complete my Emma and the plans completely held up with no yellowing.
Since I bought my kit second hand I don't know if the reason the plans were folded is because Sterling put them in the kit that way or if a previous owner did it. The first time I opened them they started ripping at fold lines, so I decided to put them away and figure out how to use them without being destroyed. Someone here mentioned that he covered his with film. While looking around for film I found the clear shelf covering at WalMart and bought it.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:18 PM
thomas.armstrong

Originally Posted by Jimbo1946
Careful! As near as I can tell, the building instructions on the referenced site are for the single masted smack and not the schooner and they appear to be out of scale.
Wow! that is a very good find. I've taken these instruction down the site as they clearly are for another design.

Thank you!!!