Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

2-metre trimaran build log

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

2-metre trimaran build log

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 06:20 PM
SIRI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-metre trimaran build log

I'm going to build a 2 metre trimaran as a winter project. Anybody interested in joining the project or in running a build log here?

Cheers
Phanchita
Old 11-14-2009, 10:06 AM
GLX

Default RE: 2-metre trimaran build log

Not ready yet to start building a 2m but got the plan of the midnight oil from tarplet publications - though not sure if the volume on the floats are as forward as it would be needed to stop the bows digging in.

I'm still to have the electricity in my workshop so it's literally freezing in it and i'm working on the drawing of the working area to make the most of the space I have - so a bit of time before I can start a boat there.

Nonetheless 2m is what I'm after. Not many 2m designs really working well - I think Mini40 designs like the coyote or the fantastic job done by the designer of the nightmare did seem more advanced. I wonder if a 2m version of the nightmare would work ?

Do you have a plan in mind ?
Old 11-14-2009, 05:34 PM
SIRI

@GLX

the boat will have the look of the BP5. It will be a modern design like the [link=http://www.rcsails.com/nightmare.htm]Nightmare VIII[/link], the hulls are designed with the assistance of the designer of the Nightmare VIII. I will upload the shadows here if there is some interest in them.

Cheers
Old 11-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Idealist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I´m still here.

If you need help, please tell me.
([email protected] - not gmx.net)

Idealist
Old 11-15-2009, 07:47 PM
GLX

Yes indeed Ernst did a fantastic job with the nightmare 7 and 8. Though on the hull shape I wouldn't touch anything I would however raise the front of the floats deck higher from the middle and sloping down progressively towards the back of the hull (only for say approx 50cm from the bow). Difficult to explain without a drawing but I mainly sail in the open sea and this would help the bows from coming up after "piercing" through a wave as the water would be pushed on either side and provide less resistance for the float to come up after hitting a wave whilst maintaining boat momentum and so no slowing as much when hitting a wave. Hope my explanation makes sense.

It is obvious on my replica of Jet Service catamaran where all is fine as long as the plunge under water as her flat deck tend to favor bow digging instead of coming back up again. Now with a cat it is more dramatic as she would trip on the leeward float and capsize.

You are talking about shadows - i take it you're gona plank it ?

Have to say I really like Ernst way of building plug/hulls. I built a Mini40 of my own design approx 18years ago back in France when the Multihull was just emerging. I attached 2 half of expended foam with double sided tape and sanded down to get a profile. not perfect as I had no plans to go with so it was done by eye and feel. But for hulls of 1.22m it alright - I said alright not perfect. Then when I was happy with my outside hull shape I open the 2 half hulls and started to dig out the foam on from the inside to leave just over 1cm of foam to the outside hull. I was checking consistency by positioning the hull on a light and the amount of light showing through the hull would tell me where it was thicker or thinner.

Then I would glue the 2 half hulls together permanently with epoxy resine and applied a small grammage fibre glass to the outside of the hull to strenghten it and then work on the details...

It worked but Ernst way is way more accurate.

I wouldn't be interested in the shadows for planking but the plans scaled for 2m yes so I can start on it as soon as my workshop is finish. I don't know how to do planking but would love to try Ernst method, though I need to find 2m long foam plaques...
Old 11-15-2009, 09:15 PM
SIRI

I'm going to cut foam sections, between the shadows. Then the sections will be glued together on the building board. This is the way Ernst does too, that why you need the shadows to start the project.
You can get an idea how this works on another of my building threads, where I describe the build ogf a 65M trimaran. You find the thread here on RCU [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8747898]RT65 Build Thread[/link]

Cheers
Old 11-17-2009, 07:12 AM
GLX

yes Had a look at your build thread for your 65cm tri and it is quite similar to how I constructed mine. One major difference though : Yours sailed as for mine suffered a different fate - this was a winter project when I was part of a club and one icy winter morning as I went to the club to collect my 3 almost finished hulls to work on the rig at home I slipped on the icy up hill path to the the car and fell on my hulls, breaking 2 and seriously damaging the 3rd one. ((

This was a serious step back from me and as I now wouldn't have time to finish my boat before the new season another skipper asked me to race his tri at the endurance races and I bought the platform of a Cobra design Mini40 tri which I finished and raced. The major problem with this design was 1) float volume : it was inspired from current 18m tri and though it look fantastic at the time the volume was too far back which made her difficult to sail and to keep up right. 2) she was heavy (well mine anyway).

I know have fully restored her with new carbon rigs, new sails and new electrics. Fix her broken arms but couldn't do much for the weight but this is not important here as we have no multi class so I use her and my other multi a 1.7m Cat replica of Jet Service IV for show to get people interested in model boat.

I have set up the national IOM class with 2 others few years back and I am trying to generate interest in model boat in the country. No need to say it's not an easy task. The funding of the class was from our own funds and now that we have a small fleet of 15 skippers we ask for a small fee to cover the class cost and promotion.

Nonetheless whilst I really like racing IOM I have never lost my love for multis and my next project will be performing and sea capable 2m for a project of mine to raise the profile of model boat in the country. Hence my interest in your project and I believe Ernst did some too ? I think foncia and bonduelle if I am correct. But if you or Ernst have the "stretch" plan of the nightmare to 2m I would be interested as well as your pics and build log.

I have been following the 2m class in France closely as they are quite active. They are basically composed of a French and Suisse fleets here is the link to their website which has a good photo gallery :http://www.multis2m.fr/index.php
And if you're interested here is the website I created for the IOM class :http://www.iomireland.org/

PS if you go to home and then select other classes then big RC boats you will go to the page with the pics of our 2 Maxi RC boats : a replica of Illbruck a VOR60 and my Jet Services (no pics yet though)

Enjoy
Old 11-19-2009, 05:01 AM
SIRI

What happened to your tri is a sad story, I'm glad you were able to repair it.
My plans will loosely resemble the BP5 in shape, the underwater hulls were designed together with Ernst.
I'm trying to promote rc [link=http://www.rcsails.com/multihulls.htm]multihull[/link] sailing by starting to have affordable kits and free plans available for those interested in and I'm also promoting rc sailing in my country with affordable [link=http://www.rcsails.com/iom.htm]IOM[/link] and [link=http://www.rcsails.com/rg65.htm]RG65[/link] hulls licensed by the designers.

I have attached the first few hull pics and sketches of the Banque Populaire V - 2-metre project for you.

Have fun joining the build

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44723.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1316909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56330.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1316910  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fk16326.pdf (13.2 KB, 133 views)
Bv60740.pdf (12.4 KB, 94 views)
Fr90963.pdf (12.4 KB, 92 views)
Hy33550.pdf (12.4 KB, 71 views)
Zb61064.pdf (12.3 KB, 74 views)
Fe14278.pdf (12.9 KB, 90 views)
Old 11-20-2009, 08:57 AM
GLX

yes these look fantastic. I really like the shape of the floats deck which has a good angle so the water will run either side as the float hits a wave. Looks quite similar to BP5 alright.

PS do you know the purpose of the reverse bow like on the cat alinghi or the main hull of BP5 ?
Old 11-20-2009, 07:03 PM
SIRI

Dear GLX,
the reversed bow is a wavepiercing bow, the negative angle helps to force piercing through the wave instead of lifting the bow over the wave.

Cheers
Old 11-20-2009, 07:27 PM
GLX

grand ok make sense.

I knew that was the objective of the extended main hull on sodebo and IDEC but I was curious of the reversed bow. Thanks for clarifying this

btw thanks for the nice drawing the hulls look fantastic. can't wait to read your build log and pics...
Old 09-16-2010, 04:16 AM
Idealist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Siri and GLX,

any progress on you 2M builds?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Morspeed

Don't think i have seen this thread until today...BP5 , what a brilliant RC design concept......love to see this in the water...

Don't think i will ever build anything above 1.2 mt rc myself...gets to a point where you might as well have the real thing.

Already have a 4 mt cat in the back yard desperately needing some love to get it on the water this summer.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:13 AM
martynb

ORIGINAL: Morspeed

Don't think i have seen this thread until today...BP5 , what a brilliant RC design concept......love to see this in the water...

Don't think i will ever build anything above 1.2 mt rc myself...gets to a point where you might as well have the real thing.

Already have a 4 mt cat in the back yard desperately needing some love to get it on the water this summer.

Gary

Maybe I could help out with your cat in return for a tri.
Let me know what you need doing if interested, I can check over/repair sails or tramps etc.

Martyn
Old 09-23-2010, 04:09 AM
Morspeed

Hi Martyn,

when you back in NZ?, actually sounds like a offer we could work on, the tramps need some work,(Paper tiger), sails are in good shape though, I will drag them out when back in Auckland next week for a close look see...cheers..Gary
Old 09-23-2010, 04:21 AM
martynb

Gary

Have been back a while now. Let me know when you have had a look at the tramps and let me know.

Martyn