Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

DH 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 06:24 AM
cocobear
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DH 2

Excellent point!
Old 11-08-2011, 06:35 AM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: R/C Art

I also have the struts designed.......they will be built up out of 1/8'' lite ply and balsa and a/c ply. I will also spring that on you when I get there.

Question: What size pulleys are needed for the elevator and rudder cables (at the rear strut location) ?
Also, from where can the pulleys be obtained? I am looking for just the pulleys by themselves........I will fabricate the blocks and hardware to mount them.

Art,

I'm just going to make my struts out of solid basswood and drill holes in the ends for 4-40 threaded rods that can pass through the wing hard points. That should keep things real simple. Of course, the landing gear struts will be solid wire with basswood cladding. I might make the cabne struts out of wire too, but I'm not sure yet.

I'm going the check McMaster -Carr for pulleys. I found some nice reinforced nylon pulley wheels there that I used for the rudder and elevator control cables on the Gotha.

Jim
Old 11-08-2011, 06:53 AM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice blocks here from 16mm up www.apsltd.com/c-442-harkensmallboatblocks.aspx
Doc
Old 11-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

C B Associates has some cable pulleys....http://www.mecoa.com/cb/horns.htm

And if you can find the guy who bought Nelson Products, they had some pulleys as well.

I also just discovered that Mecoa still sells K & B Epoxy paint, for those who still use it.

sp
Old 11-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Horsepoweraviation
My Feedback: (50)

Arthur wake up!
Any new pictures?

HPA
Old 11-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Thayer

Steve,

Note that those pulleys in 1/4 scale are 4 inches in diameter. I would be surprised if the DH2 had pulleys that big. As for Nelson, this link should get you in touch.

http://www.nelsonhobby.com/contact_nelson_hobby.php

Thayer
Old 11-13-2011, 11:51 AM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Horsepoweraviation

Arthur wake up!
Any new pictures?

HPA

Paul, no not at this time. I have been involved in some Honey Do's. Removeing cabinets, resizing and re-installing..........although I have cut the nacelle formers.

Maybe later.....

Art
Old 11-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Steve Percifield

ORIGINAL: Thayer

Steve,

Note that those pulleys in 1/4 scale are 4 inches in diameter. I would be surprised if the DH2 had pulleys that big. As for Nelson, this link should get you in touch.

Thayer
I hadn't really checked sizing yet. The 1/4 scale scale builders aren't that far along yet. But my info indicates that the DH2 wing pulleys were 3" dia.

sp
Old 11-13-2011, 02:04 PM
R/C Art

ORIGINAL: Steve Percifield

Steve,

Thayer
I hadn't really checked sizing yet. The 1/4 scale scale builders aren't that far along yet. But my info indicates that the DH2 wing pulleys were 3'' dia.

sp
Steve. I have been looking for that dimension, where did you find it? That would mean that CB Associates 1" pulleys would be the correct size in third scale. Art
Old 11-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Steve Percifield

Steve,

Thayer
I hadn't really checked sizing yet. The 1/4 scale scale builders aren't that far along yet. But my info indicates that the DH2 wing pulleys were 3'' dia.

sp
Steve. I have been looking for that dimension, where did you find it? That would mean that CB Associates 1'' pulleys would be the correct size in third scale. Art
Aircraft Archives, volume 2, Aircraft of World War One, page 14.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:01 PM
R/C Art

Steve,

Thayer

sp
Steve. I have been looking for that dimension, where did you find it? That would mean that CB Associates 1'' pulleys would be the correct size in third scale. Art
Thanks, Steve. But I don't have that reference. The pulleys you are talking about are the ones on the rear, inner strut through which the elevator and rudder cables pass.....correct?
And these are 3 inches?
Or are you talking about the pulleys through which the aileron cables pass? If they are all the same size, that would take care of a few details!
Old 11-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Steve Percifield

Steve,

Thayer

sp
Thanks, Steve. But I don't have that reference. The pulleys you are talking about are the ones on the rear, inner strut through which the elevator and rudder cables pass.....correct?
And these are 3 inches?
Or are you talking about the pulleys through which the aileron cables pass? If they are all the same size, that would take care of a few details!
Those are the ones the aileron cables pass through out on thr wings. The one that change the direction 90 degrees. I'll see if I can find the others.

sp
Old 11-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Steve Percifield

Interesting, but Aircraft Archives don't even show any of the elevator or rudder pulleys. I checked what I have and find no dimensions on any of refernce material. Actually, Since , I've had to put this project on hold, I hadn't looked nor realized how many pulleys this plane actually has. Going to be fun to run the controls.

sp
Old 11-13-2011, 06:12 PM
R/C Art

Interesting, but Aircraft Archives don't even show any of the elevator or rudder pulleys. I checked what I have and find no dimensions on any of refernce material. Actually, Since , I've had to put this project on hold, I hadn't looked nor realized how many pulleys this plane actually has. Going to be fun to run the controls.

sp
I heard that, Steve. LOTS OF WIRES AND CABLE RUNS !

I emailed Nelson Hobby and they don't carry pulleys......John of Nelson Hobby offered to assist in the hunt for pulleys.

If I can't reference the actual size I will use pulleys from 1/2" to 3/4" (if I can find them). I think they will look ok. If I can't find anything in that range I will use the CB Associates 1" pulleys
Old 11-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Thayer

I had trouble finding pulleys in that size range when working on my SG-38 primary glider. In the end I just turned some on my Sherline lathe. It took a lot less time than I spent looking for other solutions.

Thayer
Old 11-13-2011, 06:41 PM
R/C Art

ORIGINAL: Horsepoweraviation

Arthur wake up!
Any new pictures?

HPA

In between naps I did manage to cut a few pieces for the fuselage nacelle. Nose weight is thought to be needed so the formers are from cheap 3/8" plywood and the firewall is from a better grade of lumber yard plywood, also 3/8" (this is the same material from which I cut my N-11 firewall). It works fine and is a lot cheaper than aircraft grade plywood from the hobby shop or other model wood suppliers.

Also, I picked up some 1/2" wood dowels from the local farm supply store for my N-11 project a couple of years ago........since there was so much twist in the aileron torque rod system with the N-11, I had a few dowels left over.......these will work fine for the tail booms on the DH2. Where they fit to the wings and stab and at each strut location there will be a 1 inch section of brass tube slid over and bonded to the dowel for extra strength and to prevent crushing of the dowel.

The lower tail booms are longer than 4 feet, so I had to splice a section onto each one......this splice will be at the first strut location. There will be a bolt through and a brass tube around the boom at this location, so it should be strong enough.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16893.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1686384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48347.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1686385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63508.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1686386  
Old 11-13-2011, 06:58 PM
R/C Art

I had trouble finding pulleys in that size range when working on my SG-38 primary glider. In the end I just turned some on my Sherline lathe. It took a lot less time than I spent looking for other solutions.

Thayer
Thayer, I don't have a lathe.....I am a lot like Sir Percy in that I am somewhat "tool challenged". If I had a lathe it wouldn't help 'cause I don't know my way around them......as my wife would say, "Another way to get cut, bumped or bruised while in the shop!"

But if you have some time, the pulley wheels need to be about 1/2 to 3/4" in diameter drilled for a 2-56 mounting bolt and only thick enough to groove for 3/64" cable. I need 6 of these.....I can make the block and mounting hardware out of brass strips and solder them up myself.

Seriously Thayer, I know what you mean - I can't find them anywhere.......YET!

Later,
Art
Old 11-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Steve Percifield

Thayer,

We originally had 31 signed up for this group build, so, while you're at your lathe............

http://www.mcmaster.com/#wire-rope-pulleys/=ex9rsw

mcmaster carr has some nylon pulleys that might work

sp
Old 11-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Thayer

I must say, I am a bit tempted by the DH-2, but not likely to jump in quite yet. I have some other obligations I need to clear first. FWIW, I can't compete with MMC prices.

Thayer
Old 11-14-2011, 05:02 AM
geezeraviation

Did any one look here? www.modelshipyard.com
or here www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk Type in keyword pulleys they have a 10 pack of 14mm brass pulleys for 4.86 USD
Model boat suppliers is where to look for pulleys and also bottlescrews. I got a half a dozen of em on my favorites list.
Doc
Old 11-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try here: http://www.pekabe.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?. They also have a presence on Ebay. Search pekabe.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Horsepoweraviation
My Feedback: (50)

Thayer
Thayer, I don't have a lathe.....I am a lot like Sir Percy in that I am somewhat ''tool challenged''. If I had a lathe it wouldn't help 'cause I don't know my way around them......as my wife would say, ''Another way to get cut, bumped or bruised while in the shop!''

But if you have some time, the pulley wheels need to be about 1/2 to 3/4'' in diameter drilled for a 2-56 mounting bolt and only thick enough to groove for 3/64'' cable. I need 6 of these.....I can make the block and mounting hardware out of brass strips and solder them up myself.

Seriously Thayer, I know what you mean - I can't find them anywhere.......YET!

Later,
Art

Hey Art I received a small lathe for my birthday this year..... I will make you the pulley wheels tell me what material you want it out of.....

Love HPA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94858.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1686664  
Old 11-14-2011, 03:13 PM
R/C Art

But if you have some time, the pulley wheels need to be about 1/2 to 3/4'' in diameter drilled for a 2-56 mounting bolt and thick enough to groove for 3/64'' cable. I need 6 of these.....I can make the block and mounting hardware out of brass strips and solder them up myself.

[/quote]

Paul, here is what I need. Stainless steel or brass, it doesn't matter to me..... I just don't want them to rust.

Delivery at the Christmas party would be ideal!

Thanks,
Art
Old 11-14-2011, 03:17 PM
geezeraviation

Then there's always aluminium, wonderful material, doesnt rust and weighs near nothing. So dont forget aluminium.
Hey Art can I come to the party?
Doc
Old 11-14-2011, 03:39 PM
R/C Art

ORIGINAL: geezeraviation

Then there's always aluminium, wonderful material, doesnt rust and weighs near nothing. So dont forget aluminium.
Hey Art can I come to the party?
Doc
Oh yea, Doc......never thought of that. Hear that Paul? Aluminum will work, too.

Doc, as for the Christmas party.......absolutely. It is scheduled for Saturday, 10 December. PM me for directions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.