Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Eaa biplane

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 06:54 PM
robski
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Eaa biplane

Thank's for your reply Ed. Both have surpass's in them . Seem to have more than enough power to fly(to me) . Another question! The 2 planes we have are a bit different? One has Bud Nosen stamped on a lot of parts. Both very similar but one has a bit wider fuse. Any input anyone? One other thing,would like to post pics. Something about a gold rating?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:01 PM
robski

$ 19.95 ?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:10 PM
edpare

Question for all: I am at the ARF stage with my EAA.
Unfortunately, I am an indifferently-skilled lander and tend to flare too early with all my planes. Will the mains hold up to being dropped from a foot or two or should I wrap some kind of shock absorbing material around the gear? If so, what is the preferred method?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:17 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Difficulty with landing flares? Here's what worked for me: Ditch the flared 3-point landings and learn to do wheel landings. It's actually much easier...and much easier on the model!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:34 PM
robski

I agree But still just use rubber bands. remember power power power carefully!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:31 PM
robski

Both planes are now ready for test flight. Waiting for the wind to let up a bit. Been a bit breezy here in St. Louis. Will let anyone know how it goes. Real close to 12 lbs. ???
Old 01-04-2012, 08:01 AM
edpare

Has anybody with two ailerons tried any differential? I know BUSA says 1/2 inch up and down but we all know most real airplanes don't need as much down as up.
Has anyone noticed any adverse yaw on banking without differential?
Has anyone tried an inch of aileron movement - or more?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:48 AM
edpare

Finally got mine finished and together.
8.37 pounds on the digital fish scale with an O.S. .91 FS Surpass and a dry tank. It lacks a little Rustoleum on the struts and cowl.
Maybe this weekend, weather permitting.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:16 PM
robski

Wow,nice job edpare. I wish mine could loose a few pounds. Weather permitting going to give them both a try this weekend also.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 PM
robski

The weather was great here and got to fly both EAA's . One pretty good out of the box and only got better every fight. Mine on the other hand will need a a bit of work. (a bit of engine thrust to start with) What a joy to see in the air . The os 91surpass is more than enough power even at 12lbs. I hope you had a good weekend also Ed. 180 -120 ? FLY THE PLANE ,NOT THE PROP !!!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:39 PM
edpare

Glad to hear of your success!
The winds locally are still gusty and shifty and I want a relatively calm hour or so for my maiden - so I'm still waiting.

Question for you: what does "fly the plane, not the prop" mean?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 PM
robski

Hello Ed, watch a real (scale) plane fly and what kind of maneuver's can it perform? I bet not hover ! Rolling circles and what NOT ! The more power and throw, (not to mention changing the airfoil ) makes it a computer game! Power to wieght . Do the math. Though we all cheat a bit in the rc world.
The EEA is a great fly'n plane the way it is. I hope you have a great maiden.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 PM
robski

RIP - IT ?
Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 AM
edpare

RIP? I hope nothing bad has happened....?!

Mine still hasn't been up - it just won't stop blowing out here - weird weather. No rain for a month: we have a high pressure system that's been parked over us and is just turnin' round and round and round

Looks like it's gonna be 10-15 again today...and tomorrow to 25...

Ed

Old 01-14-2012, 06:37 PM
edpare

Maidened today inbetween the daily wind shift......
She flies tail-heavy!

COG is set just a little nose-heavy of 4 11/16 inches.
How does yours fly?
Old 01-15-2012, 05:46 PM
robski

Hi Ed, everyone that seen my first flight thought mine looked tail heavy too! being on the sticks I think it is a engine thrust issue.My plane had 0 degrees of thrust and acted tail heavy. My friend Willies had some down and right . It flew like a champ!( Maybe a better pilot) . I am going to try that to and see. 20 mph winds here today so another day? Back in one piece is alway's good . Good luck on your next hop ! Rob
Old 01-15-2012, 06:58 PM
schweizer1551

Hi Rob,
I have listened to all sorts of questions and answers .My opinion is that this airplane is a beautiful machine to fly SCALE. I cant do any of them crazy manuvers some guys can achive with the extras and the edge. Mine will fly almost perfect with a 5-8 mph wind.Now there are some things mine has yours might NOT have.I am running an OS 90 Surpass 4stroke engine with a 13-8Prop.My nose has NOT been cut back or chopped. It is a stock out of the box kit.I did not build it i bought if of some one who send it to the moon on take off and it crashed . I rebuild the bottom wing and remade some of the wingstruts.That is all. Down thrust can help , mine has some.(5-8degrees may be)little right thrust in it too.My first flight was shall i say...............ok. The plane weighs about 11 pounds. 2nd flight was much better no trimming was needed.On my 3rd flight i managed to do a side slide for almost the length of the field. It also performed a perfect AXIS roll.Landings ..... A1.....Take offs A1.If anyone wants more info, email me at:- [email protected]. thinking of posting a vidio on utube. Thanks rob and anyone else .

Willi

Old 01-15-2012, 07:45 PM
robski

one question for now ,Willi. C.G.? I am still nose heavy at 4 3/4 inch ?
Old 01-15-2012, 08:03 PM
schweizer1551

HI ROB,
Answer your question about the CG........... I am at 4 3/4 from the leading edge at the top wing.I feel that i might be nose heavy.I have a 2700 maph battery verry close to the front.Nose heavy might be your thrust line with the motor.Have you any downthrust?? Sounds to me that you might have a bucket full of wiggeling Worms on your hands.LOL.work on the thrust of the motor mate.... and a little right can be helpful too.Let me know what you done and how it flew.Hope to catch you soon and lets touch some wings.

Willi
Old 01-15-2012, 08:50 PM
schweizer1551

HEY Rob...............   looking forward to the next project.PICA 1/5 P51 Mustang.I was happy to get the info from you where to get the Canopy for it. Great work mate. I did order it straight away.I wont fly today, to much snow and darn wind again.I dont want to be a SCHMO and fly in these conditions.
                                  Willi
Old 01-15-2012, 08:56 PM
schweizer1551

HI ED,
I only have ailerons on the bottom wing, yes i have plenty of throw may be even 3/4 no problems at all. I dont use mixing or any of them things.I have plenty of rudder throw but found i do not need much elevator.(less than 3/8uup or down)The plane turns on a dime.

Willi
Old 01-16-2012, 04:36 PM
edpare

Flights #2 and #3 today: wind at 45 degrees to the runway, 5-8 mph. After adding three washers as shims under the upper engine mount bolts and returning all trims to neutral, she flew normally with no additional trim. Now she flies level at half-throttle (O.S. 91 FS Surpass), goes up with more throttle and descends with less throttle. So, the closer she gets to landing and the slower she gets, the more elevator I'm adding: thus, she never really "flares" but just settles on the runway and stops. I like it!

Takeoffs are a surprise: at over 1/2 throttle it's flying a few feet after the tail lifts.

Three second barrel rolls! Wow! Good thing I was high up when I tried them - I think I remember now that's how I killed my first EAA.

Idles too high to stall at normal attitude - tomorrow I'll try a idle/nose up attittude to see how it quits flying.

Moral of the story: _never_ forget to ensue some downthrust!

Does this sound like how everyone else's flies?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 PM
schweizer1551

Hi ED, Good job mate sounds just like mine. I am glad and happy for you.It is a great plane to fly. All good things come to those who take advice. Thumbs up Keep on flying the EAA like it was meant to fly.

Willi
Old 01-17-2012, 11:07 PM
robski

One thing at a time for me Willie! Live and learn. I new nuetral was going to be a handfull but had to see. That's why there are no more builder's, they all just buy HANGER 9's LOL mustang is on the table
Old 01-17-2012, 11:13 PM
robski

One more thing, I hope it goes left !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.