Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Best Gasser for 1/4 scale Cub?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Best Gasser for 1/4 scale Cub?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 11:47 AM
damifino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Gasser for 1/4 scale Cub?

Please share your experiences with a gasser in 1/4 scale Cub/Super Cub. Planning on float flying. Anyone used a Ryobi 31cc with electronic ignition conversion? Thanks
Old 07-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Best Gasser for 1/4 scale Cub?

The G-23/26 seems to be the engine of choice in these parts. I have a G-38 on mine, but it is way too heavy, so I doubt that I would do it again..

I'm not a great fan of Ryobi's. Had two of them, and while they were realiable, they did not put out a lot of power (even after a lot of mods) and vibrated a lot. It would probably be okay on a cub, though I'm not sure with the extra weight and drag of floats...
Old 07-04-2005, 05:44 PM
damifino

Thanks for your input. Are the G-23/26's a lot smoother running (vibration-wise) than the Ryobi? A club member has one on an 80" Decathalon and it seems to pull it with a good bit of authority but I too am wondering about the vibration issue and weight.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:30 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Hanger 9 Super Cub 1/4 scale with 100" wingspan with a G-23 in it. The plane flies very scale at about 1/3 throttle. It has plenty of throttle left for any problems. I have had this plane for two years now and love it. They do vibrate a little, but with the wings on it is dampend quit a bit. Go with the G-26 and you will not be unhappy with your choice.

Lee
Old 07-04-2005, 10:57 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

RCS and Roto also have engines which would fit well inside the Cub's cowl and are probably a bit smoother running (and definitely lighter and more powerful for displacement) than the Zenoah or the Ryobi. They're a bit pricier, too, but for a standard Cub cowl at least, don't require a large hole in the side for the carb to stick out of. These engines are rear carb and rear exhaust (or side exhaust, with Pitts style mufflers). Evolution has also recently released some gas engines worth looking at.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:59 AM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the Zenoah engines you do not have to cut up the cowl. They fit very nicely under those cowels.

Picture of My Hanger 9 Cub, no holes in the side of the cowel.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_16...anchor/tm.htm#

Another guy with a G-38 in the nose. Only hole is the velocity stack

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63.../tm.htm#636877