RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Glenn Torrence (GTM) 1/3 Scale Dr.1 Build Along (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/4399390-glenn-torrence-gtm-1-3-scale-dr-1-build-along.html)

Canuck1 03-10-2012 06:11 PM

RE: Glenn Torrence (GTM) 1/3 Scale Dr.1 Build Along

Thanks Ray.

I need a steadier hand with my pictures:D

Craig

Canuck1 03-10-2012 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did some cleaning up of the lettering on the fuselage, both the Port and Starboard side.

Craig

valleyk 03-10-2012 07:12 PM

Craig looks great. Where did you get those small eyelets. Could use some for my pup.

Canuck1 03-10-2012 07:18 PM

Picked the eyelets up at Michaels craft store.
They are 1/8 dia, perfect for this scale.

Craig

Canuck1 03-10-2012 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Currently working on the seat belt adjustment before I secure the belts, and seat.

Craig

Canuck1 03-18-2012 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally finished up painting of the ailerons.
Painting is now complete :D

Craig

geezeraviation 03-19-2012 04:38 AM

Completing the painting always leads to a deep sigh doesnt it? A major step, its looking real fine Craig.
Doc

axialair 03-19-2012 06:06 AM

This is a magnificent construction, I like so much your work and your attention to bring all particulars so close tothe real thing.
I hope you'll enjoy soon the first flight with this fantastic model.
Alessandro

axialair 03-19-2012 06:08 AM

This is a magnificent construction, I like so much your work and your attention to bring all particulars so close tothe real thing.
I hope you'll enjoy soon the first flight with this fantastic model.
Alessandro <span class="info"></span>

WacoNut 03-19-2012 02:40 PM

Craig,
She is looking really good. Can't wait to hear the maiden report.
Later!!
Anthony

Canuck1 03-19-2012 07:24 PM

Thanks guys.
Maiden will to be for a while, due to winter, as well as I am just beginning to start the assembly.
Then there will be the standard running in the garage to check everything out, rpm, nuts, bolts, linkages. I am pretty particular to go over everything well before hand.
I have my Locktite list made up, so nothing is left undone.
Still have some small things to do, but getting close.

Craig

dnomyar253 03-20-2012 05:01 AM

Graig,

I was looking at the slide show yesterday on this thread and saw a few things you did that I really liked and will be doing on my 1/4 scale DR 1
You have done a great job on your DR 1 keep up the great work. O yes your pictures are great also.

Ray

Canuck1 03-30-2012 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Ray

She is pretty much done, for now, balance seems good, still need to confirm weight, think I am around 35 lbs.
Just need some good weather, and some steady nerves.

Craig

WacoNut 03-30-2012 03:39 PM

Congrats on the fine build Craig, can't wait to hear how the maiden goes.
Later!!
Anthony

valleyk 03-30-2012 03:43 PM

If your GTM dr1 flys like mine then:</p>

Gradually add throttle with elevator in neutral position. Once tail comes up the torque will swing her slightly left. Correct with right rudder and slowly feed in up elevator not too fast because this bird wants to jump into the air.

Once airborne turn with rudder and aileron. I personally don’t like to mix them. I had other people fly her and they all say how well and realist she fly’s. Stalls are gradual at very low speeds so pretty stable up there.

The landing approach is the hard part. If you plan to flare out early and touch down on skid and gear you will lose directional control almost immediately. I like to come in slightly nose down and flare out just before wheels touch. Land on the main gear with tail up then cut throttle with full up elevator and grind that skid into the ground to slow down. Pray your wing skids don’t get bent.

</p>

Canuck1 03-30-2012 04:15 PM

Thanks valleyk

I remember the same issues with my Zeroli DR1. Combination of throttle, elevator and rudder. You have to fly it on the ground for sure and it should lift off pretty quick.
Landings are always fun, three pointing it is not an option as far as I am concerned. I will want to land on the mains, and do a good controlled roll out. And as you say, once the tail is down, control is lost.
I always have my controls separate, not keen on mixing the two together.
So over all you found it a pretty good flier? I think with the under cambered wings, and the positive incidence it should lift of pretty quick.
Looking forward to the first flight, and I think it will fly pretty nice, and look good up there.

Craig

valleyk 03-30-2012 04:31 PM

One other thing Craig,</p>

Before I maidened mine I spoke with vertical grimace and he adviced me to get more positive incidence on the elevator. I put a few washers on the two front elevator mounting scews to prop up the elevator to give an additional 1 deg positive incidence. I'm glad i did that becouse I still had to trim down elevator when flying. Also I had 2.5 degree right thrust and 2.5 degree down thrust on the engine.</p>

35 lbs sounds like alot of weight but there is so much wing area you'll be flying probably a little above half throttle with G62. Mine flys at a quarter throttle with da 100. Just forget about the wieght believe me.</p>

Canuck1 05-07-2012 08:02 PM

Good news.
Maiden complete, was an awesome flight, she just purred along with the g-62, 26 x 8 zinger prop.
Like you said Valleyk, lots of down elevator needed to trim it to level flight.
The washers are a good idea, just for that extra degree.
Once I had it trimmed out, it just flew real nice, and looks so good in the air.
No pictures unfortunately. Only issue I had was the bracing wire on the inner struts loosened a bit, could hear the noise after about 15 minutes so I landed.
Landed real nice almost by itself, a click of extra power, and she settled right in, so I am pretty happy :D
Take off was okay, once you add power you need to keep the power on, and increase it, if you reduce the power she will take on a whole new life of its own, no issues once it is rolling and tracking, the rotation is very smooth.
Did a low power stall into the wind, just increased the angle of attack, reduced power and it just mushed nose down, wings level.

Craig.

abufletcher 05-07-2012 08:51 PM

Congratulations on a successful maiden of a wonderful model! (I'd give you several thumbs up emoticons but those haven't worked on RCU in over a year). Well done! :D[8D]:D

dm8221 05-09-2012 07:43 PM

Hi Craig
Sent you a PM
Cheers Don

Canuck1 05-09-2012 08:21 PM

Hello Don

I plan on going out Sunday, sent you a pm.

Craig

WacoNut 05-10-2012 02:58 AM

Congrats on the maiden.

I am still trying to figure out the landing on my 1/4 scale, I keep it on it's wheel but I am being really hard on the tail skid as I have broken the mounting loose twice. I have it reinforced good for the 3rd try.
Later!!
Anthony

valleyk 05-15-2012 06:38 PM

Glad to here all went well. Its fun to give advice here when you have the same model. I haven't  flown mine in over 6 months because I keep thinking I should upgrade to the new life a123 batteries. NIMH batteries shelf life is not too good for my lack of flying. I wish we had a nice grass field here in colorado instead of a wide paved runway. Its really an easy plane to land in grass but almost impossible on the pavement due to long uncontrolled roll outs ending up into a ground loop and scraping up the lower wings. Hope you make a video would love to see her in the air. </p>

I happen to see the maiden flight of the 1/3 busa dr1 in this forum and was not impressed at all looked sluggish.</p>

Canuck1 05-15-2012 07:41 PM

Valleyk

Every time I go to the field the winds are pretty strong, so I am still waiting on my second flight.
The grass did make the roll out pretty short, about 10 to 12 feet, well that's what it looked like.
I thought the BALSA DR 1 looked pretty good, not sure what you mean by sluggish, vertical performance mightbe a little weak but it ooked pretty scale to me.
Just my 2 cents.
Hope to get some in flight pictures soon.

Craig

dm8221 05-18-2012 04:53 PM

Hi Graig
Did a road trip to the bremner field as it was the mothers day weekend my time was limited ,not to mention the wind would not help in your attempts to fly. Hope to meet and see your plane fly as the winds don't look good for thew long weekend.
Cheers Don