Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

PT-311 (1:12 Scale) 6-Foot RC Electric Boat Model

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

PT-311 (1:12 Scale) 6-Foot RC Electric Boat Model

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 04:53 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: PT-311 (1:12 Scale) 6-Foot RC Electric Boat Model

Guys,

Was pretty pleased with the Test Run-Up using the old Emerson Electric 3800 RPM, 12-Volt DC Brushed Motor!

As I injected the Lithium Grease the motor gained additional RPMs and got Quieter and smooth running.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydPDi8F4oLA[/youtube]
Old 08-27-2012, 04:54 PM
guapoman2000

Here is the 2nd Test Run-UP Static:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCUOBYgJBw[/youtube]
Old 08-27-2012, 11:58 PM
guapoman2000

Guys,

Geesh. I am glad that I keep all my past purchases in a folder up in my e-mail because I am getting OLD and forgetting what I purchased February 2011

Look what I found and I did post it up at RCUniverse discussing a little project that I was occupied with back then with RC Cars.

I found the box under my bed!!!!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10311106

Old 08-27-2012, 11:59 PM
guapoman2000

Guys,

I called four RC Hobby Shops within Central Florida:

GravesRC - Purchased the PRO BOAT 50-AMP ESC, Large Servo, Dogs, Uni Joint.

Colonial Photo & Hobby - Two Steering Arms.

The two listed above were the only ones that had what I was looking for today after work.

The rest was a purchased I made back in February 2011 and those were two RC Car Transmitters / Receivers and one of them is the 2.4 Giga-Hertz Spectrum technology by TRAXXAS.

I could not believe that no one had the right size Propeller in as far as hole hub opening and I am afraid that I will need to order them. In a way it is the best since the larger Marine Propellers are very expensive in the Hobby Shops locally.

A few Pictures of all the new Goodies....

Old 08-28-2012, 12:01 AM
guapoman2000

Guys,

Looking carefully at the Specifications of both the TRAXXAS ESC and that of the PRO BOAT 50-AMP ESC, I am leaning to use the PRO BOAT because I will be setting up my model with a Separate Battery for the 2.4G Receiver and for the large Servo.

The PRO BOAT has a 1.0-AMPERE BEC @ 6-Volts and since I will be using 12-Volts then, the BEC output will be even less. I certainly do not want to lose my model in the middle of a lake so, I am opting to use a separate RX Battery with a switch harness.

Good nite!
Carlos
Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 PM
guapoman2000

Some Rudder Progress was accomplished today.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 PM
guapoman2000

Guys,

Need to report some bad news with the projected Motor I was going to use and we discovered during some additional testing of the motor because we wanted to demonstrate the working of the motor to our Buddy, Gerry (simano) who came to visit and watch the progress himself witness the motor spinning only in one direction and no matter which polarity you connected the motor it still rotated in just one direction.

My good friends made some measurements to watch for Diodes and nothing. We all even disassembled the motor and still no Diodes. This motor must be some kind of OLD motor with windings assembled in such a manner that the motor would just spin in one direction only.

As we attempted to disassemble the motor we practically destroyed the Capacitor but, no big deal since we are using Spectrum Radio gear. We looked and looked and just could not find any evidence of any Diode anywhere. The only place was perhaps the sealed windings and we were NOT able to go into them as for sure the motor would be ruin.

Needless to say, we put that motor back together and it ran like new but, again could NOT run in REVERSE!!!

Some pictures of struggling with this motor....:censored:

Old 08-28-2012, 08:04 PM
guapoman2000

Guys,

My PLAN "B" already started and first thing was to again take out the Large Black MONSTER Pump Motor, DC 12-Volts, 4500 RPMs that has an output shaft of exactly 8mm in diameter with a flap spot at the tip. This motor cost me a grand total of $24.95 plus local tax from an Electronics Surplus Store here in Central Florida.

I am very happy to announce that this large and brand new MONSTER MOTOR did run in REVERSE and I am very happy!

The challenge is to find a UNIVERSAL JOINT that has the motor side with an 8mm inner hole opening and there is NO ONE that makes such an item. Even those that suggested in a previous post who recommended a coupler that has Nylon material but, did not have any Universal per say.

After leaving Tony's house, I took with me the Universal Joint that has the 6mm Motor side hole opening and I went to visit my RC Club members friend house (RODNEY) who has various Drill Presses. He assisted me with setting up a drill event and I even went to a Local Home Depot and purchased the best and strongest Drill Bits and I could not make even a scratch!! This Universal Joint is made of Stainless Steel or something like it.

Disgusted and Tired, I left and thank Rodney for his help and went to visit my Mechanic Friend who recommended a MACHINE SHOP and he hoped in my car and to our surprise they were still open at 5:15pm There were two gentleman in the shop and one of them came over to see the motor shaft and the Universal Joint and took careful measurements. He told me NO SWEAT, just leave the piece that goes to the motor and leave your information and it will cost you $15 US and the part will be ready in the late morning. I accepted and left my information on a hanging tag that will accompany the part and left with my Mechanic Friend.

Thereby, the BIG BLACK MONSTER DC 12-VOLT, 4500 RPM motor will get to Push my Large PT311 after all.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Apismelifera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: guapoman2000

the motor spinning only in one direction and no matter which polarity you connected the motor it still rotated in just one direction.

My good friends made some measurements to watch for Diodes and nothing. We all even disassembled the motor and still no Diodes. This motor must be some kind of OLD motor with windings assembled in such a manner that the motor would just spin in one direction only.

As we attempted to disassemble the motor we practically destroyed the Capacitor but, no big deal since we are using Spectrum Radio gear. We looked and looked and just could not find any evidence of any Diode anywhere. The only place was perhaps the sealed windings and we were NOT able to go into them as for sure the motor would be ruin.

Needless to say, we put that motor back together and it ran like new but, again could NOT run in REVERSE!!!
From the pictures you posted and your description I would say that: There are no diodes in the motor. Also I did not see any permanent magnets. I am fairly certain that you have a "Universal Motor". Whitch will run on AC or DC power. Since it is a commutaded AC motor polarity is irrelevant. Universal motors only spin one way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...iversal_motors
Old 08-29-2012, 06:08 PM
guapoman2000

John,

Correct, I believe we had been dealing with a DC SHUNT Motor (Old Emerson Electric Motor) as explained here:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/ph/p/id/54

Again, the Monster Motor seems to be Permanent Magnet type as it is not economical to make a motor with so much windings like in the past.

We shall see....
Old 08-29-2012, 06:10 PM
guapoman2000

Guys,

The Local Central Florida Machine Shop was able to enlarge the inner hole diameter of the Motor side Universal Joint by OCTURA. The Universal Joint is the 1/4 inch hook up for Motor output shafts and in order to use the large MONSTER DV 12-Volt, 4500 RPM brushed motor the need for enlargement of the inner hole on the motor piece was necessary.

Machine Shop did a fantastic job as no sharp edges appears and the set screw holes are intact. The Motor Side of the Universal Joint slides in perfectly and set screws tighten with no issues!

Most importantly we have already tested this large MONSTER Motor and it does go in Reverse!

A few Pictures as usual:

Old 08-30-2012, 08:09 PM
guapoman2000

Guys,

Right after work, I traveled to one HOBBY-TOWN USA shop (Sanford, Florida) that has a skilled Soldering Technician named Connie and who has performed many Soldering jobs for me in the past so, I came with three (3) new Turnigy Li-POLYs that came in the past week and most especially my PRO-BOAT 50-AMP Brushed ESC and Large Monster 12-Volt, 4500 RPM, Brushed Motor.

After explaining what I was about to do with that large BLACK 12-Volt, 4500 RPM Brushed Motor with my new 6-Foot PT311 Plywood RC Boat, the technician, Connie, became very interested to help as he himself has a large Tug RC Electric Boat. Therefore, I came to the right person who knows exactly what I am up against. He recommended 4mm Bullet Connectors for the Motor-To-ESC and Ultra Deans connector for ESC -to- Battery and I agreed. Using 12-Gage Wiring, he also extended the Battery -to- ESC harness to allow for mounting Lead Acid Batteries in a different compartment to allow for center-of-gravity adjustments.

In a few pictures and Video you will see that lots were completed today on this project, enough to warrant a Test Run at the Local Lake assuming I can mount this new Motor inside the Hull and mount the Rudder Assembly and Large 1/4 size Hitec Servo.

A few Pictures:

Wide Angle Picture showing the entire setup to test Motor / ESC / 2.4G Radio System:

New Bullet Connectors at Motor and ESC.

The Video of the Test Run of the Motor without load is presently uploading and will post as soon as it is available.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:10 PM
guapoman2000

Guys,

As promised, here is the Video of the Dry Run of the Monster 12-Volt, 4500 RPM, DC Brushed and Pro-Boat 50-AMP ESC.

Really, really smooth and quiet!

http://youtu.be/K3C3TjJnQx0
Old 08-31-2012, 01:57 PM
guapoman2000

VIDEO **** VIDEO **** VIDEO ****

http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/w...myscans069.mp4

Short Video and I was afraid of going 1/2 Throttle!!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:02 PM
guapoman2000

Guys!!

Even Tony Lombardo was impressed with the Speed of the Large PT311 in the rather tiny Lake close to his home.
All we did was to pulse the throttle and let go of it as the model came up to speed.

The Batteries had to sit up front (too much for our taste) but, that was the only way to secure them behind a bulk head that maintained them too far forward so, they could not shift when placing the model in the "POND" and beyond the Hydrilla!

According to the signs there "is" an Alligator around but, it did not bother us and it was not were in sight.

Temperature after 4 minute Run in the Water:
Motor was luke warm and not surpising as it is a Brushed Motor

PRO BOAT 50-AMP ESC was starting to get warm to the touch but, recall we do NOT have water cooling system yet.
However, as I type this we are installing a Water Jacket Cooling for the ESC !

My overall satisfaction of this Project is BEYOND Expectations! The model responded very good and had the Speed that I was looking for with RESERVE!

Carlos

Old 09-01-2012, 01:57 AM
guapoman2000

Okay went to the ACE HARDWARE Store again and got a few items for continued work on the Large PT311. Finally bought my own Batteries and flexible Tubing for the cooling system for the ESC. (NOTE: There will be two (2) Cooling Radiators for the ESC to allow for Maximum Cooling).

Again, we will run the boat for another Try out at the POND and see how the Cooling System works and Tony is going to install it in such a manner to have exhaust ports like the real thing.

More work in the morning!opcorn:

I have included two rectangular Lead Acid Batteries from my large 1/6 Car RC Models for comparison of the new Brick size 8-AH Lead Acid batteries to show how far these type of batteries have come (more Capacity for the size!).

General Purpose Lead Acid Batteries for RC PT311 Patrol Torpedo Electric Boat:

RC CAR Batteries and notice the 2.3 A-H Capacities.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:02 PM
guapoman2000

Guys!

This morning the installation of the Water Cooling was performed with the help of Tony Lombardo of Titusville, Florida.

Making the Water Stacks Tubing:

Providing ESC with Water Jacket Radiators:

The next picture shows the installation of the Exit Port Holes for the water exit.

Look at this large RC Electric Boat!! It has to go in Sideways in the Mini-Van!!!

Prior to the 2nd Test Run from Today (Saturday, September 1st, 2012):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZyqasR0zwg[/youtube]
Old 09-02-2012, 03:45 AM
guapoman2000

Guys,

Today, the task at hand it to make a bulk head at the AFT to keep the Batteries further AFT to improve the speed and Center-Of-Gravity of the boat while it is running. Presently, the location of the batteries makes the boat Blow through the water like a Destroyer. [:@]

Just was trying to keep the batteries away from the motor but, making a Bulk head will make both issues go away.

More to come....

Carlos
Old 09-03-2012, 02:48 AM
guapoman2000

Guys,

After almost a full week staying with Tony Lombardo's house, my large 6-Foot Plywood Boat is back at my home and in usual hanger location, my Living Room.

Lets take a look at the Stern of my PT311 RC Electric Boat:

Water Pickup Tubes placed in front of Propeller Wake:

Water Exit Tubes:

Inside Detail of Water Tube Lines:

ESC Water Radiator Jackets (2 of them) {ESC placed on Top of Motor for Picture Only}:
Old 09-04-2012, 08:57 AM
guapoman2000

I just got my new batteries (8-Amp-Hour) Lead Acid all setup with the pig-tail connectors for Ultra Deans and been playing with the Center-Of-Gravity, however, of course I would not get a good indication until the next opportunity to take it out perhaps next weekend.

Some pictures.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:24 PM
guapoman2000

Guys,

I am making arrangements to take the large Plywood PT311 at a back yard access lake in a subdivision near Disney (we call the city near Disney, KISSIMMEE, Florida ) where some family lives and behind their house is a fairly large lake. Best of all my family and friends at this location has retrieval boats in case anything might go wrong.

This Community Lake (retention Pond) where my family and friends live in Kissimmee, Florida spans at least 500 Feet across East-To-West and 200 Feet Wide North-To-South.

My Cousin and his Dad frequent this back yard lake with their Fast Electric and Glow Power Boats.

Here is an Aerial View.. (I like it since the chances of having a Gator around this Lake is slim to none!) Of course, we all can not take any chances....

Old 09-05-2012, 05:54 PM
guapoman2000

Visited the largest Hobby Shop in Central Florida, GravesRC, and came out with the Ultra Deans Parallel Connector by MAXX Products.

This harness will be dedicated to the Large PT311.

http://www.gravesrc.com/DEANS_2_PARA..._p/max6942.htm

Old 09-06-2012, 01:21 PM
guapoman2000

Guys,

Three days ago (September 3rd, 2012) I went ahead and ordered three 70mm (2 3/4 inch) diameter 3-Blade Propellers by Rivabo at Cornwall Boat Models. I verified that yesterday they shipped the items.

I ordered two (2) Left hand (USA means Right hand) and one Right Hand (USA means Left Hand) 70mm Rivabo 70mm, M5 Threaded 3-Blade Propellers such as this one:
http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/...bo_535070.html

My good Friend, Tony Lombardo, made me a new Output Shaft with 12.5 inch length and made M5 Threads at the end of the shaft to account for Propeller and securing nut.

Does anyone know of another source to acquire Rivabo 3-blade propellers here in the USA? I have looked and it seems like the only place is Great Britian.

Also, I am looking for hardware for the output shaft support....does anyone know where I can acquire hardware to make the support for output shaft?

Thanks for your assistance and time!
Carlos
Old 09-07-2012, 02:47 AM
guapoman2000

Thanks to Bill, I have an outlet here in the USA known as:

http://www.harbormodels.com/

Old 09-16-2012, 02:19 AM
guapoman2000

My Rivabo 70mm 3-Blade Propellers made of Brass from Cornwall Boat Models all the way from United Kingdom has finally arrived on Saturday 09-15-2012! Took exactly one week two days or 9 days.

I am just a little confused as the packaging of the Propellers say CALDERCRAFT?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.