Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

3D printing 1:16 scale (36" long) Landing Craft

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

3D printing 1:16 scale (36" long) Landing Craft

Old 08-17-2019, 05:48 PM
2manytoyz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 3D printing 1:16 scale (36" long) Landing Craft

I've been off the forum for a while. Lots going on in life, and quickly approaching retirement. I've been using a 3D printer at work for a couple of years, and finally bought one for home. The prices have dropped drastically, and the quality has improved greatly. I purchased a Creatlity CR-10S. It is capable of building an object 300mm x 300mm x 400mm. That's roughly 12"x12"x16" tall. I paid over $500 last year. Currently going for $458 on Amazon: https://amzn.to/31QNuY5

We have family staying with us at the moment, so I've moved the printer from my office to the RV parked next to the house. I can run it day/night without worrying about disturbing anyone.

For whatever reason, I've always wanted an RC model of a Landing Craft. I found some for sale overseas, but those are $1000+. While looking on ThingiVerse, I found one designed for RC use. That website has over a million 3D designs, all free for downloading for personal use. Here's the link to the files: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2003327

This will take a while to print the many parts, assemble, and finish. But the price is right. I may end up spending $100 on materials. Just started the first couple of parts today.

To save weight, yet still be very strong, I'm using a 15% honeycomb infill on the hull, and 20% on the ramp (shown). While I'm a long way from having mine ready to show, here's one someone else printed:

And a video of it in action:
Old 08-19-2019, 06:55 AM
antibala

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello

It's awesome !

cheers
Balázs
Old 09-13-2019, 09:16 PM
sde

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi there,
I like it! 3d printing is really starting to take off.
Couple more years I will have to get one for myself, cant wait to see yours when u get it done.
cheers