Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Another outlandish looking HMS “Battleship”(???). Does anyone know what it is?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Another outlandish looking HMS “Battleship”(???). Does anyone know what it is?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:39 AM
DUKWsInARow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another outlandish looking HMS “Battleship”(???). Does anyone know what it is?

After seeing PL_09’s awesome model of the Nelson class battleship which, by his own admission, has an outlandish appearance, I thought about another battleship(?) I’d seen that had an equally outlandish appearance.

Specifically, this ship has a nearly flush deck, no superstructure except for a single mast and a single stack, and then has a two turreted gun mount sitting about a third of the way back from the bow.

The websites creator labels this ship the “HMS ???”.

The photograph of the “HMS ???” is located below a photograph of USS Monitors Montauk and Lehigh 1902” and above a photograph of the USS Nipsic which is easily identifiable since it is screw sloop with a house (barracks) sitting on its deck.

http://blog.roodo.com/nautilus/archives/9317537.html

Do any of you know what the “HMS ???” is?

Also, if any of you know where I can find a model of the Keararge and/or Alabama that someone has abandoned, that has a decent hull, but is damaged and or missing pieces to the point that it could never be completed in its original form, please tell me since in addition to the Bear, I’d someday like to attempt to build the Nipsic in this configuration and would not want to destroy a complete Kearsarge or Alabama model to do it.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Another outlandish looking HMS “Battleship”(???). Does anyone know what it is?

That is an Ambercrombie class monitor, not a battleship. They were built to take advantage of four twin 14" turrets supplied by the US firm Bethleham Steel, an offer that violated the US neutrality and earned a protest from the president. Here is a write up on it that I was able to find
http://www.historyofwar.org/articles..._monitors.html
Old 10-01-2011, 11:46 AM
DUKWsInARow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another outlandish looking HMS “Battleship”(???). Does anyone know what it is?

Thank you Hydro-junkie

Not only are these odd looking ships, but they certainly came into being in an odd manner, namely being built around turrets that had already been constructed for another ship…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abercrombie_class_monitor