Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Old Radio Shack Sherman Tank

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Old Radio Shack Sherman Tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:51 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Radio Shack Sherman Tank

As the title says, Ihave an old Radio Shack Sherman Tank, The track dry rotted, and was wondering if there were any newer tracks that may fit it?
Iknow this may be a long shot, but thought Iwould give it a try.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Old Radio Shack Sherman Tank

I have one of the radio shack tanks also.Might be able to use the sprockets and tracks off a 1/24 scale tank.Seems like they are close to the same size.I know you can get 1/24 scale tracks.but not sure about the sprockets.?

BIGMIG
Old 11-05-2010, 11:55 PM
204sailor

Guys,I have a Rdio shack Sherman I bought off fleapay a while back.The only thing wrong with it were the dried out plastic tracks.The width across the
sprocket teeth is exactly the same as an HL panzer 3.So at that time I ordered a set of PZ 3 Plastic tracks from Raidentech.When I got them they were too loose on the original wheel layout.Now if you will notice,on the radio shack sherman, the center road wheels are lower than the rest. This was probably done in order for the tank to pivot easily.I took out one of my razor saws and CUT off all the other road wheels on both sides right down to the hull sides.Next I epoxied all the wheel axel shafts back onto the hull sides and then screwed the wheels back on.DO NOTdisturb the center road wheel
assembly on either side.Now the tracks fit snug and the tank works great.No need to worry about getting new sprockets ,either. By lowering all the road wheels down tothe height ofthe original center wheel you have a tank that sits level.

Charlie
Old 11-06-2010, 12:13 AM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

Charlie,
Thanks for the info, Iam more of an airplane guy, The tankhas been at my parents house since the 80's. (forgot about it), Ijust would like to get it going again, It was a xmas present whenI was a kid. Istill have the original box!

Is it the 1/16 or 1/24, Idon;t see the pz 3 on teh site.
ED
Old 11-06-2010, 01:45 AM
204sailor

nH4clo4,I just went to thier site (raidentech),haven`t been there in a long while. They have airsoft pnzr 3 tanks in stock, but when I hit "tanks" tab at the top of the page and it brings up accessories they are out of stock on the Pnzr 3 plastic tracks.BTW, eack track is only $7.00,but you only would get one track.
It almost doesn`t pay,because you would have to pay shipping,whereas if you bought thierwholePnzr 3 for $69.00 you would get free shipping using thier code as it`s over$50.00.

Charlie

P.S. These are 1/16 Tanks .
Old 03-16-2015, 03:40 PM
jerrico71

I have personally found out on my own vintage Radio Shack Sherman that the 1/16 RC Heng Long German Panzer IV replacement tracks work perfectly for this. The only thing you will need to do is use a push pin (or something similar) to pop out the metal pins which hold each segment together then remove a whole section of the track that equals to roughly 27 individual segments. You will need to rejoin the ends of the tracks be reinstalling one of the metal pin rods you removed earlier; do this while the tracks are on the tank because these tracks do not stretch and cannot be rolled on or off the wheels. The rear wheel gear teeth fit perfectly into these tracks and the width of these tracks are perfect too.

Last edited by jerrico71; 03-16-2015 at 03:44 PM.