Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

This is my current project.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

This is my current project.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 04:03 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts
Default This is my current project.

I am re building my Stug into a Tamiya compatible fighter. It has donated it’s RX-18 board to the Panther so it was a simple matter to remove all the rest of the HL stuff. Now all that remains is the HL speaker and the 3:1 gear set. I will also reuse the HL speaker volume dial and the smoker on/off switch. I don’t like smokers so the switch will be used instead to control the headlight. I plan to install a new RX-18 board and a DBC/DBU2 to control everything and a new cast metal headlight. I am installing the IR LED in the gun tube right behind the flash LED sort of like the rounds in a tube feed .22 magazine. I have not yet ordered the electronics, still saving up the money, but I have started prepping the space.
After battling with the Panther over at the FRAG field I decided to make my next battle tank a small one. The village there is very tight for big tanks,(read get stuck easy) so a smaller, more maneuverable tank is just the ticket. I have driven the Stug over all kinds of terrain in all kinds of weather so I think it will be a good battler. I have also developed some camo nets to help it hide better. I plan to use it in it’s traditional role as a tank killer from ambush positions.
If I rig some camo nets and put out some figures next to the stug ambush position it will be lost in all the FRAG props and just look like the scenery. I sneak into position, then WHAM! you take a shot and don’t know where it came from…
That’s the plan anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11918.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1797069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60406.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	1797070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31598.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1797071  
Old 08-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: This is my current project.

Nice looking Stug

ORIGINAL: Pah co chu puk
I am installing the IR LED in the gun tube right behind the flash LED sort of like the rounds in a tube feed .22 magazine. I have not yet ordered the electronics, still saving up the money, but I have started prepping the space.
I am very intersted in how this is done and how well it works since I am looking at an IR conversion on an HL Jagdpanther.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Pah co chu puk

I had planed to convert my Jagdpanther but it is so big it would be a whale out of water at the FRAG field.

I will post updates as I progress.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to see a stug build going on. I will need inspiration for when mine gets here.

Perry
Old 09-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Pah co chu puk

Today I painted the numbers and the crosses on the Stug. It had HL decals and they looked bad so I removed them. It was the last tank I put decals on, all the newer tanks have painted numbers and insignia, so it was nice to have it done. I also painted the Commander’s periscopes gloss black to look like glass. They were just camo before. I still have the headlight to install but it is painted now too. I put a tiny piece of clear plastic inside the headlight to defuse the LED somewhat and reflect outside light like a real headlight. The dark cavity with a LED showing bothered me. This rebuild is more than just about battle capability, it is a general upgrade in looks and performance too.
This brings me to a question… Where should I mount the HL machine gun LED?
I doubt the driver fired from his periscope, I think that is a HL invention and not historically accurate. I plan to leave it for now but my mind is looking into where to remount it later.
I have another tank with a DBC/DBU2 so I used it’s apple to plan the mount for the Stug. I have removed the upper part of the commanders’ hatch because it interfered with the apple and it looks like it will mount nicely this way. I can still replace the hatch assembly anytime so no looks are compromised. It ends up with the IR receiver only 6 inches from the ground, almost 2 inches less than the Panther, so this will be a low down sneaky AFV.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49770.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1797313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82951.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1797314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26778.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1797315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37789.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1797316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16706.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1797317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93174.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1797318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88390.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1797319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56264.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1797320  

Old 09-01-2012, 10:06 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am installing the IR LED in the gun tube right behind the flash LED sort of like the rounds in a tube feed .22 magazine.
This type of mod was discussed in another thread here => IR LED and Flash position

I'm completely guessing (& wondering) without first hand experience myself, but won't the flash LED sitting closer to the end of the barrel, & in front of the IR LED, affect the IR LED output beam in a negative way somewhat if it has to pass through it?

Wouldn't it be more optimal to place the flash LED behind the IRLED instead, so the IR beam is unimpeded, & the flash LED might still light up well enough to see passing through the IRLED?

That was the method mentioned several times in the other thread, as well as using fiber optics, unfortunately no-one posted any pictures to show their work.

~ Craig ~
Old 09-02-2012, 04:51 AM
Green Amphibian

I used fiber optics and a clear pen body in my USMC Sherman build for the IR and flash in the barrel. I am in the process of using a clear IR LED in front of the flash in my DD build. Still have to hook up the electronics to check it out though.

Herman
Old 09-02-2012, 05:44 AM
Pah co chu puk

So if I am reading that other thread correctly, you put the flash LED behind the IR LED and used the pen body as a crude fiber optic to bring the flash around the IR LED.  

I was planning to put the IR behind the flash but I like your way better.  I also like the fiber optic link that was posted in that thread, saved it to favorites.  

Will the IR follow the fiber optic or is it only good for the flash?  I ask because I am also thinking that a light box mounted to the upper hull with fiber optics for both flash and IR down the gun tube would be an option.  If not then a light box for just the flash might work with the IR in the gun tube.

The truth is that I don't know what I am doing, it is all just an experiment.

With fiber optics and a light box I could also make the machine gun at the loaders hatch fire...   I think.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:35 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

So if I am reading that other thread correctly, you put the flash LED behind the IR LED and used the pen body as a crude fiber optic to bring the flash around the IR LED.
I was planning to put the IR behind the flash but I like your way better. I also like the fiber optic link that was posted in that thread, saved it to favorites.
Will the IR follow the fiber optic or is it only good for the flash? I ask because I am also thinking that a light box mounted to the upper hull with fiber optics for both flash and IR down the gun tube would be an option. If not then a light box for just the flash might work with the IR in the gun tube.
The truth is that I don't know what I am doing, it is all just an experiment.
With fiber optics and a light box I could also make the machine gun at the loaders hatch fire... I think.
Your summary in the first sentence sounds about right to me.

Well a quick search seems to confirm that IR signal will travel through fibre optic cable, & I found this very interesting, 940nm IRLED ... Fibre Optic Infrared LED

I know very little about fibre optic cabling, but besides sizes, I'm assuming there are going to be various types & qualities of them available, so which would be the best for testing this scenario is beyond my scope.

Will it work to use several smaller diameter optic cables to carry the IR, how would that affect the final output of the signal, if any?

Is it better to go with one larger diameter fibre optic cable to carry the IR signal, then wrap it with many smaller ones carrying the flash?

So many options, so many questions, so little knowledge ....

I think your idea of experimenting with a light box, using fibre optics for both, is brilliant & you need to explore that for the benefit of all of us here!