Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long Electronics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Love To build
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heng Long Electronics.

I have a question about upgrade electronics for a Heng Long Tank. Just looking for opinions on which one or ones to buy. I've looked at Davids Battle Circuit,. Clark Model, Mako, etc. I'm going with a 2.4 Ghz 6ch radio.

Looking to people who are using them currently and want the pros and cons or is it just preference?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 11-17-2012, 12:51 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Heng Long Electronics.

I enjoyed the El Mod system which was made to work with the stock radio and board. Made it easy to keep a bunch of tanks running with compatible gear. Looking forward to using Darkith's systems on some future builds.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:12 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends on what you intend to do. I have always liked to upgrade mine with ElMOd becasue of the versatility it offers. You can easily switch sounds for different tanks and the overall drive experience with the system is much more realistic than the othres I have tried. It gives the feel of driving a heavy piece of equipment around, has inertia buitl in and actual braking, so the inertia effect is not out of control. In a pinch, you can stop the tank and also not risk damaging the geraboxes by doing so. It is Tamiya IR compatible and also the stystem is completely programmable as far aas all of the control parameters. As I said, etremely versatile. To see more visit www.armorcreations.com and check out the elmod pages...
Old 11-17-2012, 04:02 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course I will plug the DBC3/Benedini.

The momentum circuit in the DBC3 is really good and it smooths out the RX 18, giving your really good control.
Tamiya compatible, even uses the Tamiya TBU.( Not just half way either, has battle damage, reload delay
Stops the Heng Long recoil and superspin. User selectable.

Very low cost with two sound options

Low cost digital sound card for battle sounds

or go for the full meal deal with the Benedini, your choice

With the Benedini you get programmable sound with some of the smoothest transition sound files in the business. There are a number of DBC3/Benedini systems out there now, so people don't have to take my word on it any longer

One thing I like to stress with this unit is that you don't have to do anything to the Heng long electronics. When you pull this system out you have a fully functioning Heng Long you can resell. Also because you don't touch the Heng long electronics the Heng Long Battle system stays functional as well.

[link=http://battlearmorrc.weebly.com/demo-page.html]DBC/Benedini demo.[/link]
Old 11-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Green Amphibian

I can attest to the Benedini sounds. I just finished putting one in my LVT 4 and it is great.

Herman
Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 PM
FreakyDude

hate to say it but the lowest cost  right now is the Clark board but and this is a big but the service has holes as big as texas in it.

whats your budget? the amount of money you want to spend will or should be the deciding factor.
The Taipan will be out shortly as well just too make your decision that much harder as if it already was easy.

If you want opinions then  tell us want you want to do with the system and the cash you have on hand.
I sell the Mako BUT I won't give you advice that in my opinion will be wrong and you haven't given enough information for any kind of correct suggestion.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:23 PM
YHR

Each unit has unique features, and the market is full of options right now. Freaky is correct, that the consumer must decide what is right for them. Whatever you are looking for is probably out in one form or another.

My suggestion would be to decide what is important to you. Ask your self the following questions.

1. Do I want sound?
2. Do I want a system that is 100 % Tamiya compatible. THis means weight classes, Battle damage, IR range, Reload delay and of course IR frequency,, and finally the abiltiy to plug in a Tamiya sensor.
3. Do I want to be able to program in different sounds.
4. Moving a system around between tanks is important to me.
5. DO I want momentum on my tank.
6. Do I want a repair feature in the tank battle simulation.
7. Do I want advance IR battling features, beyond the standard Tamiya battle damage

The questions above will help you break down the available systems by what they have to offer, and are important to you. Some can, and some can't deliver on the questions above, so there is way more to it then just preference, as all the systems are not equal on what they can do.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Love To build
My Feedback: (30)

I understand. Being a newbie This is why I'm here and appreciate your thoughts. I don't have deep pockets though. I am a former electronic engineering tech, so kit form will work with me.

1. I want sound
2. It must be 100% compatable with Tamiya.
3. Fixed sounds are fine.
4.I will not be moving between tanks.
5. Momentum. What is momentum control?
6.Is the repair feature used alot in battles?
7. Yes to Features beyond the Tamiya standard

Thanks for all your replies,

Bill
Old 11-18-2012, 08:18 AM
FreakyDude

Bill,
Momentum could be two things,
1. as a tank starts and stops there is a lot of mass to start and stop as well. Real tanks kind of bob a bit when they start and stop, a feature that some boards can replicate.
In addition to the above with the Tamiya battle system when a tank is shot it loses a portion of its overall speed to replicate damage.
The repair feture although used in battles by usually specific vehicles like trucks etc can be a nice feature to have but on a secondary Tank like a bergtiger or bergpanzer etc. It addds a dimmension to your game so to speak.

Based on what you say I might suggest you wait a little bit for the Taipan board as it will have everything you are looking for and more. Taipan will have WiFi connectivity for reporting tank status and a host of options, cost is targeted for $150 or less but that is not in stone either.
I really hate to say this but currently, right now- today, I would suggest a Clark board as you are fairly new to the hobby and this would be your best bet to getting a lot of bang for your buck.

A week or two from now I would suggest the Taipan for the reason that it will be a solid board that does what it is meant to do and will have options that others just can not match.

Of all th
ORIGINAL: Love To build

I understand. Being a newbie This is why I'm here and appreciate your thoughts. I don't have deep pockets though. I am a former electronic engineering tech, so kit form will work with me.

1. I want sound

Bill
Old 11-18-2012, 08:21 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: Love To build

1. I want sound

Bill

Ok Bill that helps

Sound

El MOD
Tamiya
Clark
TWM

Fixed sounds

Tamiya
Clark

Extra Features

Clark

Momentum is something that adds the weight of your tank to the control. Instead of stopping on a dime and changing directions like a Porsche, your tank response is slowed slightly. If the electronics don't have it I believe you can buy some kind of a servo device that replicates this. So you could add this to a Clark and have what you want.

It doesn't hurt the Clark is $61 either.

Clark has been receptive to ideas, and has made a few small but significant changes that shows he is listening.

Hope this helps

Oh you can add a Benedini sound card to this unit if you want get tired of the Canned sound, and want something unique.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:29 AM
YHR

If we are talking future developments, Clark is building a Wifi FPV control system that will allow you to use your tablet device to control the tank, and it will broadcast onboard camera views to the viewing screen.

This also means that you can control your tank from afar. Ie. I could have a tank equipped with this device in Danville, and run my tank from home online, Cool stuff
Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

But who is going to change out your battery when it's low lol.

Cheers
Wade
Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure what you mean by holes the size of Texas. Clarks in regular contact with the fellas on rctank regiment. When there have been function issues (range and damage simulation) he's worked to resolve them with total success. He's in Taiwan so things take time if returned. We have extensively tested the Clark board today and achieved over 100ft ir range with the tbu. So you've got good sound, Tamiya compatible, high degree of customisation and it's only the same cost as 2 rx-18! As dan said a slightly more
Powerful card with wifi and fpv is in the works. Also a version with momunteum has been proposed. Most of the guys at our club are running them very successfully!

ORIGINAL: FreakyDude

hate to say it but the lowest cost right now is the Clark board but and this is a big but the service has holes as big as texas in it.
whats your budget? the amount of money you want to spend will or should be the deciding factor.
The Taipan will be out shortly as well just too make your decision that much harder as if it already was easy.
If you want opinions then tell us want you want to do with the system and the cash you have on hand.
I sell the Mako BUT I won't give you advice that in my opinion will be wrong and you haven't given enough information for any kind of correct suggestion.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:09 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: Rebellion13

But who is going to change out your battery when it's low lol.

Cheers
Wade

LOL

Might be a case where you have a couple of remote users on each team, and the team can look after those details. Honestly this is a real interesting development. It is a good economic case for a place like Danville or the Clubs that use the facility to commercialize this idea. Imaging building a tank with this system, and mailing it to Danville. They charge you some locker space to store this tank, and then a weekend handling fee for charging batteries and physically getting the tank to the battlegound. Suddenly , people can enjoy the Danville batteground from afar. The money you save on gas and plane fare would more then cover the cost that the Musuem charges to manage the tank.

I guy like me would go to Danville once a year for the Extravaganza, and then through the rest of the year battle from home!!!!!. Very interesting concept.