Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Plastic Magic

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 05:46 PM
RC19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic Magic

HIhas anyone used plastic magic solvent . THANKS
Old 01-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Baron Fel

Default RE: Plastic Magic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82zYCf5sEDY

Cool stuff!

Baron
Old 01-11-2013, 06:25 PM
furious-sun

I havent used that particular brand, but I have used Ambroid Proweld and Tenax 7r (when you could still find it) with a similar touch-n-flow applicator. It essentially melts the plastic together, works great. But, be careful on small pieces its easy to turn them to mush really quickly!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:19 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

New to RC tanks & working with styrene, so all I've used so far is Testors Plastic Cement when working with my HL tanks & the styrene.

Since I am running low on the Testors again, just for the heck of it, went ahead & ordered some Plastic Magic with the Pin Flow applicator. Will be interesting to see how this stuff works compared to the Testors.
Hope it wasn't a mistake ... lol

~ Craig ~
Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I've been using Ambroid Pro Weld for some time. The thing with this type of adhesive is that you're not really gluing the parts together, like in the past with plastic glue you would attach glue to one part and place the other part on the glue.

With this, basically you place the two parts together and then let the cement seep into the joint where the two parts meet creating a bond. This is so much faster and much neater a way of building a kit.

Now there are some areas or applications that require practicing restraint of how much is applied OR by using CA instead of the cement, just because the part(s) are too small.

And, with this type of cement, drying time is a thing of the past... waiting for parts to dry.

This way it's immediately ready for the next step.

~ Jeff
Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

New to RC tanks & working with styrene, so all I've used so far is Testors Plastic Cement when working with my HL tanks & the styrene.

Since I am running low on the Testors again, just for the heck of it, went ahead & ordered some Plastic Magic with the Pin Flow applicator. Will be interesting to see how this stuff works compared to the Testors.
Hope it wasn't a mistake ... [img][/img] lol

~ Craig ~
~~~~~~~~~

let us know how that works out.... I have used the plastic needle tips for my Testors cement tube for years. They last forever if ya clean 'em. A toothpick has always been my choice for CA . I like the liquid cements too when a brush applicator is needed.

http://www.micromark.com/z-ends-and-...-set,7581.html

Micro Mark also has a needle tube gizmo for the thin stuff, but I haven't tried it so I can't comment about how well it works.
Rex
Old 01-12-2013, 06:27 PM
RC19

THANKS guys for info , Graig let no how you make out .I am planning order sum to give it a try. THANKSAGAIN
Old 01-28-2013, 07:13 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Just a follow-up on the Plastic Magic & pin-flow applicator, I finally got to use them the last few days!

The Plastic Magic works every bit as good as the Testors Plastic Cement I was using, as far as what I have tried to glue together with my HL tanks while working on them.
Same process as the Testors in melting the plastic where the cement is applied so it forms a weld between the parts when it dries.

I know the Testors glue above contains MEK, not sure about the Plastic Magic, as it doesn't show any ingredients on the bottle or on Deluxe Materials website, & it does have a completely different odor than the Testors glue.

Also in the mix for consideration to buy would be Ambroid's Pro Weld & Plastruct's Plastiweld too!

Some of them may be better at welding together certain plastics than others, as well as welding together different plastics to one another, but I can say the Plastic Magic does work very well. Just be sure the Plastic Magic bottle you get is the "New Formula" (currently that text shows on the bottle label), because the new formula is supposed to be safer than the old, as well as bond more types of plastics better.
Plastic Magic claims that it bonds nearly all commonly used modelling plastics including polyester, styrene, ABS, PVC, butyrate, and Polycarbonate.

Maybe all these plastic cements mentioned are so similar in how well they will work, as well as how they are used & applied (at least for styrene), it probably wouldn't be a mistake to purchase any one of them if just by selecting the least expensive of them all for using on styrene & the plastics comprising these HL tanks. When I run out of Plastic Magic at some future point, I may try either Pro Weld or Plastiweld too if either of them can be purchased for a better cost than Plastic magic, if not just for the price, at least for the sake of more comparisons!

Other than finding at least one good Testors Cement alternative, the one thing I am very glad in purchasing was the applicator this time around. I really like the pin-flow style applicator, like using a pen to draw glue lines exactly where you need them, very easy & a lot less wasting of glue.
There are several brands of these pin-flow style applicators, each just slightly different from the other & differently priced, I happened to get the Flex-I-File Touch-N-Flow applicator shown below for about $8.50 shipped to me, well worth the cost in my opinion.

~ Craig ~
Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 PM
RC19

HICraig I have purchased plastic magic and the pin flow applicator have not tried it yet , glad to see you are happy with it . THANKS
Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The basis for just about all of these types of solvents is MEK so the same cautions should always be used. MEK can be very unhealthy if absorbed through the skin which is what it does.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: RC19

HICraig I have purchased plastic magic and the pin flow applicator have not tried it yet , glad to see you are happy with it . THANKS
Yes Steve, it seems to do a great job, so I think you will be very pleased with how it works too.

I was glad I read this thread & followed the video link Baron Fel posted, because that really prompted me to decide to try the applicator along with the Plastic Magic, it's really a nifty little tool!

~ Craig ~

Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

*sigh*

Archives and Stickys guys... I've mentioned the use of MEK as a solvent glue MANY times... and the wonderfully useful Touch'n'Flow applicator (and my habit of snapping the glass tube!)

Staight MEK is cheap at a plastics shop (you can get a quart for the price of that 2oz bottle of Tenax!) and can be used for styrene, ABS, polycarbonate (lexan) and even as a debonder for all the former, and for superglue too! Heck, it can even soften epoxies like JBWeld...

And the Touch'n'Flow is a great tool. I always order two as I tend to bust at least one every 6 months to a year. And I've found the ~perfect~ pipette bulb for it... the drip chamber from an IV tubing set:

For those with medical supply access - its a 27 guage needle tube on the end of the glass pipette, held there with dental alginate (which WONT dissolve in MEK) so if you are going to use an applicator bottle, make sure its got a 27 ga tube, otherwise the solvent-glue will run out too fast! I know from considerable experince and testing... (and trying to do things on the cheap!)

Now if they'd only market a pipette bulb to go with them. I saved a supply of drip-bulbs a while back for this purpose, but no-one took me up on the offer. If I find 'em, I'll post and its first-come-first-serve. Oh, if you're careful, a small 1ml syringe might do, if you ream the Luer tip a bit to fit onto the pipette. Just don't overfill, the solvent will wreck the syringe-plunger!

And their method of filling? WATCH OUT - you flick it, and that solvent can splatter up and out.

WhiteWolf
veteran, but not expert by any means...

PS: oh, and clogs? A fine metal guitar string will fit through the 27 guage needle. I think its .079 in. Always handy, as sometimes the plastic can clog it, and its not always easy to get out.

PPS: OH BOTHER. I guess Deluxe Materials has topped the T'n'F, as it HAS a replacable tip. I ~may~ have to buy one just for comparison... (and because I have 27ga needles, and wouldn't have to worry about clogs!) Convenient, Great Hobbies supposedly carries it, they have a store locally now (Trainyards) and I am out there for St. Hubert's chicken... (*yum*)