Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/6 Tiger explodes

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 05:54 PM
TexasTank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/6 Tiger explodes

Sorry if this has been posted before. I'm not sure what the hell happened, but I don't think it was part of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ6C0vJpzO8 Regards,
Joel
Old 09-21-2014, 05:58 PM
TexasTank

Another view.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFigCJhcv1U&feature=youtu.be
Old 09-21-2014, 05:59 PM
TexasTank

Battery blew up. Only thing I can imagine.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:13 PM
TexasTank

Everything happens at 6 seconds. I caught the moment of the explosion and it seems the barrel tried to handle the explosion but it didn't quite work out. Talk about a realistic looking shell firing though! lol Milliseconds later the entire top gets blow off with flames seen. Flames can be seen coming out of the barrel too.

Regards,
Joel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	explosion.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	2034046  
Old 09-21-2014, 06:20 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

One of the comments said it was a LiPo going off another one said they operator tried to fire some sort of pyro.

Whatever it was I'm sure your original assessment was correct; it wasn't a planned event unless the guy was looking to exit the hobby...

I noticed there more than a few observers who thought the guy's misfortune was funny, THAT would have been annoying.

And I worry about fuel fires in my models.

Yep, looking closely at the video sequence looks like a simulated main gun firing that went wrong...

Either that or there was a 1/6 IS-2 off screen somewhere...

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiger mishap01.jpg
Views:	1060
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	2034052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiger mishap02.jpg
Views:	851
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	2034053  

Last edited by Tanque; 09-21-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:16 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW. Bad day . At least he captured the moment on film. You won't see stuff like that often.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:54 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was wondering how long this would take to come to light this happened a more than a month ago, for the sake of scare mongering what I will tell you is that it was not a Lipo battery that caused the incident as written on Youtube by a person who was not at the event, no Lipo batteries in the tank.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Tanque

What was it Mark? It was pretty dynamic. I don't know the material that model was made of but the upper deck plate and turret were both tossed up with authority
and they had to be hefty parts. I didn't think it was a LiPo either due to that yellowish flame/flash I saw in the video.

When I was at Munster in 1992 I saw first hand some German modeler's fondness for pyrotechnics. I recall one member whose name I won't mention had a odd scale T34
with some sort of katusha type rocket projector that sent the things all over the place with a high graceful arc, including the crowds.

I don't know how the British and Germans get away with stuff like that.The way the US is jittery these days a similar incident here would probably get the interest of the ATF,
the FBI and Homeland Security. On top of all that we here in the former "Golden Stadt " would find The Three Evil Witches of the West waging their wrinkly bony fingers at us
while they tell us how despicable we are...

Jerry
Old 09-22-2014, 12:28 AM
rivetcounter

Jerry,

This was filmed at Munster in Germany where you must have the appropriate legal authority to use Pyros or blanks which was in place still there could be serious repercussions.

In England you don’t require a licence to use stage sized Pyros or blanks however most events these days don’t allow the use of blanks and Pyros when such devises are allowed they must as in Germany be used in a controlled manor namely in an arena firing away from the crowd or towards a wall or large open space.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:31 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanque
Either that or there was a 1/6 IS-2 off screen somewhere...
Firefly?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:01 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Either a great ammo rack demo or catastrophic accident.

I think the latter, as the way the guy gingerly approaches the tank I can tell he's crying inside at the couple thousand pounds anticipated for repair.

Glad no one was hurt.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:30 AM
karel47

he mark from what i heard it was the battery gasses wich goes of by the blank fires, the one blank fires was setting the other blankfire off and so the explosion was set off is that correct?

yves had also a blankfire accident once , a spark of it was setting the protectionsac on fire

i heard also the other day the tiger was driving again how bad was the damage further?
Old 09-22-2014, 07:06 AM
Tanque

Originally Posted by karel47
he mark from what i heard it was the battery gasses wich goes of by the blank fires, the one blank fires was setting the other blankfire off and so the explosion was set off is that correct?

yves had also a blankfire accident once , a spark of it was setting the protectionsac on fire

i heard also the other day the tiger was driving again how bad was the damage further?
Interesting, wet cell ( either gel or not ) can generate a fair amount of hydrogen gas. I saw that sort of explosion once with a larger model boat.
It was catastrophic for the boat which was wood although at least it was on shore.

Mark I've heard of that there's a permit process, I assumed the fellows all had them. I know Germany is strict in this regard. In some areas ( out in the 'sticks' )
we'd possibly get away with it, perhaps in the remote corners of of the former Golden State but I'd never even attempt to ask about a permit process for fear of
being looked at as some nut. I think the clubs in the UK and Germany have a better standing in society than most those we have here. I believe at least in Germany
and possibly Holland there's stronger ties between the clubs and the army or at least so it seemed to me as an outsider.

Jerry
Old 09-22-2014, 07:12 AM
Cruiser133

Looks like he got ammo racked.
Glad to hear it is running again..
Old 09-22-2014, 07:16 AM
karel47

here in belgium it is permitted , the guy's in plumlbridge had pyrotechnics aviable
Old 09-22-2014, 07:22 AM
danlrc

Don't totally knock pyro. It can be done safely with a well researched and designed system and rigorous operating procedures. Note: NO projectiles are ever used.
Here's are ship and tank clips that use single, carefully designed and measured charges and double lockout firing switches.
For the ship, the local fire marshal had to approve the system for use at public displays.
My concern is that criticism or fear expressed within the hobby might lead to more constraints than the government might impose.
(Note - the ship was displayed with firing guns at a Tall Ships Festival in Erie PA, USA. It happened to be on a Sep 11 weekend. Erie is considered an international port. Homeland Security was present in force, but did allow the model to perform after a few questions were answered.)

http://youtu.be/fKdsMcuTuGw http://youtu.be/GSw9P_w0vWE
Old 09-22-2014, 09:05 AM
Tanque

Originally Posted by danlrc
Don't totally knock pyro. It can be done safely with a well researched and designed system and rigorous operating procedures. Note: NO projectiles are ever used.
Here's are ship and tank clips that use single, carefully designed and measured charges and double lockout firing switches.
For the ship, the local fire marshal had to approve the system for use at public displays.
My concern is that criticism or fear expressed within the hobby might lead to more constraints than the government might impose.
(Note - the ship was displayed with firing guns at a Tall Ships Festival in Erie PA, USA. It happened to be on a Sep 11 weekend. Erie is considered an international port. Homeland Security was present in force, but did allow the model to perform after a few questions were answered.)

http://youtu.be/fKdsMcuTuGw http://youtu.be/GSw9P_w0vWE
If you were referring to my comments you misunderstood them. I don't mind pyrotechnics when used properly, not at all. I think most of what I've heard sound weak( the example above not among those)
versus the real thing but that's another matter. Many I've heard sound not much louder than a child's cap pistol - perhaps that was an artifact of the video quality.

I'm just trying to highlight how restrictive the area where I live is with many things; I think due in part as the population density here being very high.
Perhaps there's a similar permitting process available here as well I've never bothered to look to be honest; I'm sure if there is it's probably intensive.

The local guys have always known me as an outspoken opponent of firing any sort of projectile from a model tank, I speak to it on my website or used to quite vehemently.
I let the airsoft things slide as long as the power levels aren't tweaked- a stance that has never endeared me to that faction of the hobby. I've always felt the hobby didn't
need that sort of potentially negative attention.

So if you can use pyrotechnics safely and without hassle go for it. Properly done I think they add something. To paraphrase a line from "October Sky": "Don't blow yourself up!"

Jerry
Old 09-22-2014, 09:24 AM
karel47

the guy's in plumbridge were into the military , they know how to handle those things
Old 09-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ausf
firefly?
isu!
Old 09-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Tanque

I give the camera person credit, they didn't really flinch that much. Don't know how far away from it they were. I may have had a problem if I was behind that camera......
Old 09-22-2014, 02:06 PM
rivetcounter

Jerry,

Yes all RAG events using Pyros have the appropriate permits and permission in Germany it would not be wise nor acceptable to use them without the permit.
I’m not sure about Holland I think Karel may be best placed to answer that question even though he’s Belgian I believe he has had contact with BTN (Battle Tanks Nederland) not all German clubs are associated with the Bundeswehr in this case RAG does have close links all members are reservists in the Bundeswehr a number such as myself are not active others are still active and in the past have been members of the Bundeswehr there are a few Panzer Zugführers in our ranks and one or two who drive Leopards for their day job, RAG also demonstrates at a number of Bundeswehr bases the weekend just gone RAG were at Holzminden home to the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Panzer Pioneer Battalion base to present cash raised at events for KinderKrebshilfe (children’s cancer)
last year’s event for KinderKrebshilfe
http://www.rag-modellbau.de/index.php/kinderkrebshilfe
In modern day Germany having an interest in military matters as a hobby is not seen in good light especially when it’s based on WWII, think of it in terms of Taliban in the US and this is the way German people see WWII German related hobbies, this incident is the worst thing that could have happened to the hobby if it was any other tank from any other nation it wouldn’t be seen as bad but no it had to be WWII based and it had to be a Tiger this could be several nails in the coffin
Old 09-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by rivetcounter
Jerry,

Yes all RAG events using Pyros have the appropriate permits and permission in Germany it would not be wise nor acceptable to use them without the permit.
I’m not sure about Holland I think Karel may be best placed to answer that question even though he’s Belgian I believe he has had contact with BTN (Battle Tanks Nederland) not all German clubs are associated with the Bundeswehr in this case RAG does have close links all members are reservists in the Bundeswehr a number such as myself are not active others are still active and in the past have been members of the Bundeswehr there are a few Panzer Zugführers in our ranks and one or two who drive Leopards for their day job, RAG also demonstrates at a number of Bundeswehr bases the weekend just gone RAG were at Holzminden home to the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Panzer Pioneer Battalion base to present cash raised at events for KinderKrebshilfe (children’s cancer)
last year’s event for KinderKrebshilfe
http://www.rag-modellbau.de/index.php/kinderkrebshilfe
In modern day Germany having an interest in military matters as a hobby is not seen in good light especially when it’s based on WWII, think of it in terms of Taliban in the US and this is the way German people see WWII German related hobbies, this incident is the worst thing that could have happened to the hobby if it was any other tank from any other nation it wouldn’t be seen as bad but no it had to be WWII based and it had to be a Tiger this could be several nails in the coffin
I'm sorry to hear that this may cause difficulties for the club there. No one wants that. I err on the side of conservancy here. There isn't as much frowning, if any on the choice of WWII as a modelling
era. You have to work really hard to be considered in bad taste. However the near authoritarian nature of California government coupled with the left leaning atmosphere here makes us watch our ps and qs.

Jerry