RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/6 Tiger explodes
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 09:05 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by danlrc
Don't totally knock pyro. It can be done safely with a well researched and designed system and rigorous operating procedures. Note: NO projectiles are ever used.
Here's are ship and tank clips that use single, carefully designed and measured charges and double lockout firing switches.
For the ship, the local fire marshal had to approve the system for use at public displays.
My concern is that criticism or fear expressed within the hobby might lead to more constraints than the government might impose.
(Note - the ship was displayed with firing guns at a Tall Ships Festival in Erie PA, USA. It happened to be on a Sep 11 weekend. Erie is considered an international port. Homeland Security was present in force, but did allow the model to perform after a few questions were answered.)

http://youtu.be/fKdsMcuTuGw http://youtu.be/GSw9P_w0vWE
If you were referring to my comments you misunderstood them. I don't mind pyrotechnics when used properly, not at all. I think most of what I've heard sound weak( the example above not among those)
versus the real thing but that's another matter. Many I've heard sound not much louder than a child's cap pistol - perhaps that was an artifact of the video quality.

I'm just trying to highlight how restrictive the area where I live is with many things; I think due in part as the population density here being very high.
Perhaps there's a similar permitting process available here as well I've never bothered to look to be honest; I'm sure if there is it's probably intensive.

The local guys have always known me as an outspoken opponent of firing any sort of projectile from a model tank, I speak to it on my website or used to quite vehemently.
I let the airsoft things slide as long as the power levels aren't tweaked- a stance that has never endeared me to that faction of the hobby. I've always felt the hobby didn't
need that sort of potentially negative attention.

So if you can use pyrotechnics safely and without hassle go for it. Properly done I think they add something. To paraphrase a line from "October Sky": "Don't blow yourself up!"

Jerry