Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Primer recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:41 AM
Dusty Steppes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primer recommendations

I'm looking for a spray can type of primer that is safe for metal, styrene and other types of plastic.

Any recommendations?
Old 07-21-2015, 08:56 AM
Rustytrax

http://www.hobbylinc.com/primers-hob...-acrylic-paint

I have used the tamiya, AK and I also have used rustolyeum.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:22 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

This is one area of our hobby where you can save money, any Auto shop will sell you a spray can of primer and it will be as good as anything AK/TAMIYA et al sell,
I swap the spray head for one from a can of modelling paint to ensure the spray is finer than a truck fender would get!!, I don't know what you are painting but just in case you are not aware German Armour used a red primer. shaun
Old 07-21-2015, 10:22 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

The first thing you need to determine is if your primer is compatible with your paint. That's why a lot of guys will only use one brand for both paint and primer, you know they're gonna work together. So what brand of paint will you be using? I use Testors Model Master enamels and I've found that Rustoleum is good, but it's a little thick so sometimes I decant it and thin it for the airbrush, but if I'm careful not to get it on too thick I've gotten good results right out of the can. A lot of guys like the red oxide primer, but I kind of prefer the flat white if it's Rustoleum.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:47 AM
Rustytrax

wrong thread

Last edited by Rustytrax; 07-21-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:56 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually go with Krylon ruddy brown primer located at Walmart. I'm not sure if that exact color is still available but they should have something in that or red oxide color.
I've tried Rustoleum and didn't have a great experience, it just didn't want to fully cure and stayed tacky and gummy when I sanded it. Could of been humidity, but I tried it
a couple different times.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:07 PM
Dusty Steppes

I need to prime and paint a panther metal and plastic lower chassis with metal road wheels from rctankde and a trumpeter t34/76 plastic upper hull and turret that will be mounted on a taigen plastic and metal lower hull. I plan on using Vallejo acrylics for paint.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:01 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Dusty Hi, I always use a metal primer when working with metal parts on a build, I recommend "MR HOBBY" just brush a light covering on the metal parts, allow to dry, then spray an acrylic primer over the whole area to be painted. shaun