Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New Tanks from IMEX/Taigen Coming Soon!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Tanks from IMEX/Taigen Coming Soon!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 12:03 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
I'll get more info on the 72nd scale parts when the release comes closer. I dont see an issue with this but I'll update later on this. The gearboxes and turret rotation have already been improved too
Noice! I'm pondering building another /35th RC tank and while the stuff I used for my KV-2 works, it's really bulky. The massive hull of a KV only barely manages to cram it all in. More space could be freed up with some pancake lithium batteries, admittedly, but not much. Having access to sturdy /72nd RC gearboxes and turret mechanics would make that far easier for me to do! Well, that, and it'd let me finish my KV-2, I still don't have a working turret on that thing.

The recoiling airsoft turret is compatible with the 360 unit btw, our TAG13050 Tiger 1 Mid Version has both installed actually.
Oh, sweet. Yeah I went and re-examined the product pages for the various airsoft turrets and the 360 ring ya'll offer. It seems I can just use the 360º kit and turret as-is, I'd only have to redo the connectors on the other end of the slip ring since they don't use standard servo plugs. I didn't see any digital boards up there so that's just a simple snip-and-crimp affair.

Hint hint, nudge nudge, ya'll should also sell the airsoft T-34/85 turret seperate. Didn't see it in the page anywhere and I have HB's /16th T-34/85 kit as well.

If you want I can try to get you some measurements soon for the Tiger 1 turret if that would help?
It would greatly help. I'm figuring I'll have to do some minor surgery on the upper hull I've got, it'd be nice to know how much. And, hey, maybe I'll get lucky and not need to operate! The turret ring present is fairly large, it must be said.

Firing without our electronics is pretty easy too, there is a standard 9g servo in there that does the hard part and a little board that runs from the trigger switch on the airsoft unit to the servo. You could trigger the servo manually with a transmitter mix if you wanted to or use an aftermarket motherboard for that.
I'm gonna be using Channel 5 to fire the main gun, so no mix required.

I am making sure they have plenty of power to drive on carpet and obstacles too, they are quite strong now. The team battling is fun too, 2vs1 and 3vs1 are fun when you are trying to get others to play against you.
Oooh, that bodes extra well for repurposing the transmissions in larger tanks. My KV-2 rolls pretty free, but it's also fairly hefty, and it's got Friulmodel metal tracks on it. It does on occasion break teeth off of the gears in the 70097 gearbox I used. It's done this twice, both at the final drive. Once, off the small 12t final drive gear from running in some mud, and the second time the large gear driving the final drive in the same spot shed a tooth just driving along my kitchen floor, I chalk that up to that tooth having been damaged from the first broken tooth incident. Also means I could RC smaller /35th stuff, like my FT-17 or Panzer II, something the rather bulky Tamiya box doesn't let me do.

Last edited by 378; 10-01-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:44 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by afv aficionado
Hi Erik
Any idea when that new sprue for the M41 will be officially released (the GTL sprue)? I'd like to get a couple more.

Mal
These should be in stock very soon. Give or take a few weeks when the bossman comes home. They are currently done and should appear in the kits as addons (these do not come with your stock tank) soon. I'll update you guys when they do I will be adding the accessory kits to the store soon, so please contact me first if you need them, I only have a few left. If you miss out you will have to wait for bossman to return from China
Old 10-07-2015, 12:13 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Erik
Cool. Will email.
Mal

Last edited by afv aficionado; 10-07-2015 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, an M4A3 with the T23/76 W would definitely be my next WWII era tank I would be buying or building. Love them 76's.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:40 PM
Panther G

Originally Posted by Tanque
I'll buy that..

I'd like a 1/16th little brother for my work in progress 1:10 guy...

Jerry
I love this scale. Just perfect. Not too big and not too small. Wish it was more popular, would love to get into 1:10 scale tanks.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:31 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther G
Yep, an M4A3 with the T23/76 W would definitely be my next WWII era tank I would be buying or building. Love them 76's.
Then keep watch for Q2-Q3 of next year
Old 10-09-2015, 05:45 AM
Tanker 10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by imex-erik
then keep watch for q2-q3 of next year
oh boy
Old 10-09-2015, 08:42 AM
RJS75

The problem is popularity. Our dealers and customers are not asking for them. Don't get me wrong, there is a small niche for them, but at this time requests for them are at the very bottom of my list. I will however keep my eye out, I always do
Elefant is a must. Metal version.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:20 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I love this scale. Just perfect. Not too big and not too small. Wish it was more popular, would love to get into 1:10 scale tanks.
Depending on what you want to do it isn't that bad or expensive to get into. Keeping ur eyes peeled for good deals, parts and such goes a long way.

I would just about flip if a 'mainstream' manufacturer decided to offer a military subject in 1:10 scale but that is just a pipe dream.....

jerry
Old 10-10-2015, 03:27 AM
mondo

The problem is popularity. Our dealers and customers are not asking for them. Don't get me wrong, there is a small niche for them, but at this time requests for them are at the very bottom of my list. I will however keep my eye out, I always do
If you made a Centurion, it would be bought up by a ton of people. There's no actual British tank available at 1:16 - we're not talking a a niche with the Centurion either, imagine all the people wanting to make an Vietnam era Australian MkV or Israeli Sho't.

The market needs something other than German, US and Russian tanks. I get why a Matilda or Churchill would be tough to manufacture due to the running gear but a Comet or Cromwell would be very easy as it's just torsion bar once again. A Centurion would be a little harder again due to running gear but in the end it's not to dissimilar to what you're already doing with the Sherman.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:38 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A Comet or Cromwell is as easy to do as a T-34. Very big hole in WWII armor that needs to be filled, and I can't think of an easier tank to produce to fill that hole, then the Cromwell or Comet.. Maybe one day we will see it.

Cheers
Old 10-10-2015, 06:48 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mondo
but a Comet or Cromwell would be very easy as it's just torsion bar once again.

Those tanks carry a type of Christie suspension which is not a torsion bar system but like a bell and crank.

Jeff
Old 10-10-2015, 05:12 PM
Panther G

Originally Posted by YHR
A Comet or Cromwell is as easy to do as a T-34. Very big hole in WWII armor that needs to be filled, and I can't think of an easier tank to produce to fill that hole, then the Cromwell or Comet.. Maybe one day we will see it.

Cheers
I have been asking for a Comet or Cromwell for years now. British tanks are surely needed in this hobby, The Brits invented the dang things after all.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:32 PM
Tanque

Even if British, Japanese and Italian tank subjects aren't in the offing then why not more soft skin/ armored car of American or German types?
Not all subjects need to be combat vehicle sorts.

And don't hate me but most modern subjects are just boringly similar for good reason.

If not WWII how about WWI subjects? Renault, A7V, Mk IV? we could have fun with those...

With the technology available a Mathilda isn't far fetched...maybe a manufacturer might have to do a little more
homework to figure out best practices and materials for the more complex suspensions and cost would likely be greater
but it is all doable. I think the smaller more organic makers have faded away even in China and are being replaced with Tamiya and Bandai - like companies which as time moves on won't be as willing to take chances on lesser popular subjects even though they have greater resources to absorb
a poor seller. There's those pesky stockholders and investors to placate...

Jerry
Old 10-11-2015, 06:17 AM
Panther F

I have been asking for a Comet or Cromwell for years now. British tanks are surely needed in this hobby, The Brits invented the dang things after all.
I totally agree! I like just about everything that has been released so far BUT... the British and Japanese armor has been avoided, for some reason.

Originally Posted by Tanque
Even if British, Japanese and Italian tank subjects aren't in the offing then why not more soft skin/ armored car of American or German types?
Not all subjects need to be combat vehicle sorts.

And don't hate me but most modern subjects are just boringly similar for good reason.

If not WWII how about WWI subjects? Renault, A7V, Mk IV? we could have fun with those...

With the technology available a Mathilda isn't far fetched...maybe a manufacturer might have to do a little more
homework to figure out best practices and materials for the more complex suspensions and cost would likely be greater
but it is all doable. I think the smaller more organic makers have faded away even in China and are being replaced with Tamiya and Bandai - like companies which as time moves on won't be as willing to take chances on lesser popular subjects even though they have greater resources to absorb
a poor seller. There's those pesky stockholders and investors to placate...

Jerry

I'd like to see someone re-release the 1/16 RC M-16 half-track and do some variations on it. Even some German half-track varieties would be most welcome... even if it's JUST one platform!

Then there's the Danbury JEEP and Tamiya Kubel kits... more potential for WWII soft-skinned vehicles that CAN BE RC'd.

I agree there needs to be a 'balance' that the theater(s) were not all armor but not everyone plays in battle games (IR or air-soft) so even an RC'd JEEP would be appreciated.

(off my soapbox now)

Jeff
Old 10-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Darkearth74

Originally Posted by Panther F
Yup... there were no ACTUAL Panther F tanks completed (but there were some F chassis rolling off the assembly line late in the war), just the two prototypes that are photographed. And THEY were on the G chassis, both of which are early G's to be exact. The F and late G hulls are 'almost' exact except for a few details.

This was set to be on rubber rimmed wheels as steel wheels were proven to be too hard on the tracks as found out on early G Panthers.

But, the facts are in the books as I have here.

Jeff
,sorry i insulted you jeff you did not dserve that,nomatter what your opinions are

Last edited by Darkearth74; 10-11-2015 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Wrong
Old 10-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Panther F

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Darkearth74
Theres a panther f in fort knox you know it all douchebag
Actually, it was a Panther II (D.A.) and even IT was not completed. It has been moved since then.

"douchbag"... LOL!!! That's funny. I guess you and Gary should get a room together and come up with something better.

But thanks for trying to call me out. Now quit trying to start flame wars on Eriks threads guys.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2015, 02:18 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by Darkearth74
Theres a panther f in fort knox you know it all douchebag

Yeah geeze folks, this IS a hobby right? A fun hobby? No need to resort to name calling. Thank goodness I don't feel that strongly about details...

G, F, II or whatever Ausf floats our boat. Maybe even that little baby Panther that never saw the light of day- the Leopard ( stub of a Panther-like
chassis wearing a Puma hat ...)

Jerry
Old 10-11-2015, 05:04 PM
Darkearth74

The facte are that you wernt there jeff and all you know is what somebody told you or you read,you just want to be right and thats cool with me im sorry i attacked you have a nice night
Old 10-12-2015, 12:09 AM
mondo

Those tanks carry a type of Christie suspension which is not a torsion bar system but like a bell and crank.

Jeff
Yes, I understand that but from a practical manufacturing point of view, for a 1:16 tank it would be a box with torsion bar which is very simple and not require specific tooling or design work. Which is unlike a 1:16 Matilda or Centurion.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:10 PM
philipat

I totally agree! I like just about everything that has been released so far BUT... the British and Japanese armor has been avoided, for some reason.
Where's the market for British, Italian or Japanese 1/16 RC armor? Aside from hobby-ists, who has heard of them? What significant impact did they make that they made a name for themselves? The Italian and Japanese tanks were insignificant in numbers and capability. The Italian tanks were only really encountered in N. Africa and then minimally. Even the French tanks were so quickly rolled that they're not really known outside of hobby-ists. The British tanks were and are very capable, but their numbers were and are small. They don't export like the US, German and Russian/Soviet tanks. So, most people don't think of them when they want an RC tank. Remember that Taigen and HL are building toys first and hobby stuff second. Tamiya follows the market. The only reason there is an RC Japanese tank is because Tamiya is riding a wave of nationalism in Japan; we're not the market they focused on for that tank. Same for HL's ZTZ.

Not saying that it wouldn't be cool to see other armor, modern or WWII...just saying that I don't see it as a good business decision.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by philipat
Where's the market for British, Italian or Japanese 1/16 RC armor? Aside from hobby-ists, who has heard of them? What significant impact did they make that they made a name for themselves? The Italian and Japanese tanks were insignificant in numbers and capability. The Italian tanks were only really encountered in N. Africa and then minimally. Even the French tanks were so quickly rolled that they're not really known outside of hobby-ists. The British tanks were and are very capable, but their numbers were and are small. They don't export like the US, German and Russian/Soviet tanks. So, most people don't think of them when they want an RC tank. Remember that Taigen and HL are building toys first and hobby stuff second. Tamiya follows the market. The only reason there is an RC Japanese tank is because Tamiya is riding a wave of nationalism in Japan; we're not the market they focused on for that tank. Same for HL's ZTZ.

Not saying that it wouldn't be cool to see other armor, modern or WWII...just saying that I don't see it as a good business decision.
Good points all however don't use the numbers fielded as a criterion. The Elefant wasn't a particularly useful, successful or effective
AFV as deployed or implemented especially in the number as it was but yet we all fell over on another trying to get a Hooben or two.
( and don't dare say I don't like Elefants- I have 6!)

And try mentioning Porsche Elefant the next time you're in a Toys-R-Us and see the blank expressions. How many people outside of
hobbyists really knew what a KV-2 is?

I don't dispute the low financial viability of offering something different. What do you and the others propose the 'majors' bring to the market? Variations of all the old standbys? StuG III with chassis number for 1/1944, 2/1944, 3/1944....? And if we use the toy segment as a benchmark often times a tank, is a tank is a tank... little Johnny won't care what it is so unless we're talking generic tank-like toy with rubber band tracks why not make it a Comet? Give them the push_on_the_floor tanks with sparks generators and leave the Japanese, British and Italian tanks for us. If there's a wave of nationalism sweeping through Japan perhaps now would be a good time for Tamiya to present us with a 1/16 Type 97 Chi Ha. Bringing out a lesser known tank might well become
the difference between a company being viewed as innovative or not.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:35 PM
mondo

What significant impact did any British tank make? Were there no western allied tanks before the Grant and Sherman arrived? Oh, how I've been mistaken all these years about all those battles in France in 1940 and the Running battles in North Africa. I guess there were tank battles before the tanks graciously gave the British a few tanks in 1942 right? It's not like the Matilda in either form was relevant was it in those years? Oh wait, it was and there were tank battles! It's not as if the Churchill and Cromwell were the mainstay of the British army late in the war. Oh wait a second, they were. Oh hang on, what tank took out Tiger 131? Must be a Sherman obviously.

North Africa was the only ground action in the west for 4 years. Or 1 if you were from a country very late to the party . The Italian tanks may have been rubbish but they had them in numbers.

People will buy British tanks at the very least. Games like World of Tanks has exposed people to tanks outside of the few very famous models. As pointed out, the Ferdinand was historically irrelevant (which it was, as is the jagdtiger, sturmtiger and kv2) yet sells so a tank like the Centurion, which won Yom Kippur among other achievements won't sell?
Old 10-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Tanque

Oh hey! So the criterion is impact made? Did the Mark IV ( WWI ) or A7V make an impact?

So the world just fought WWII with German, American or Russian tanks? I'll bet there are some tankers who fought their way across parts of the Philippines
who wish that was true. The Japanese military doctrine didn't respond quickly enough to US tanks but the Japanese armored forces didn't go quietly either.

Italian armor didn't make a good showing but as a concept they held their own against their design opposite contemporaries and then there was the brilliant Autoblinda
AB41 armored car. Small in numbers but significant in design. The Italians had crappy tactical doctrine that didn't exploit their tanks . But the machines couldn't have been that bad for when the Italians threw in the towel the Germans snapped up what they could and I believe even made more...

I really want a Churchill Flail (Toad)! I'll get around to making one some day...

Jerry
Old 10-13-2015, 06:33 AM
philipat

All good arguments from hobby-ists and folks that know history. How many consumers are either?. Now think like a businessman who isn't into "innovation", but is trying to stay viable in a shrinking market. Model building still happens a lot; but it's competing against a lot more (sometimes cheaper) distractions and forms of entertainment than it did 20 or even 10 years ago.

Like was said earlier, a tank is a tank is a tank. If it's not in the movies, few people know about it. If it is in WoT, some know about it, but not much. Making tanks that are in WoT might help, but then you have to pick between WoT's running paper tanks, those of small impact but look cool (Elephant, JT, etc), and those that are more known.

Not saying I wouldn't love to have an entire wall of options offered by manufacturers. I think that would be totally cool. Just trying to think like someone with limited research, design, development and production resources who is trying to apply them to a small market.

And yes, the predominance of WWII was fought with Russian, German or US tanks. In fact, despite their own production abilities, Great Britain and the USSR relied heavily on the US lend-lease program, which was in place several years before our "late entry".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.