Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya King Tiger Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 06:08 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd have to agree with Cruiser. Kenny Kong's and Mitosal fit the first time every time. And yes, always...always get drive sprockets from the same place you get tracks. DKLM is also making a nice set of tracks. KK's tracks and DKLM are shiny finish, while Impact/Mitosal are sandblasted finish.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:18 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Thumbs up

Tamiya King Tiger tracks are the weakest link (LOL) of their plastic tracks but since you have addressed the idler tension issue (which the KT needs) with that fine DT part the stock tracks might last a little longer but can always be replaced long after the build is finished.

Which you are moving along on pretty fast!
Old 05-16-2017, 08:33 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crusier, the Mato tracks fit the Tamiya sprockets. I have them on my Tamiya King Tiger.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:52 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowshaker
Crusier, the Mato tracks fit the Tamiya sprockets. I have them on my Tamiya King Tiger.
That's what is driving me crazy. You and some other guys said that the mato tracks fits the tamiya sprochets, but some other people says they wont fit, or they need a lot of work.

Is it possible that there are two version of king tiger torro tracks? Which colour are yours, yellowshaker? Ive found there are white and black ones made from torro.

White ones here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mato...3-71e36955bbce

Black:
Mato 1/16 RC HengLong King Tiger Tank Metal Tracks MT078T
Old 05-16-2017, 09:04 AM
Rustytrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Torro JT tracks which are long KT tracks do not fit on the Tamyia sprockets. These are the black tracks.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:21 AM
Cruiser133

Yellow definitely had better luck than me and I don't disagree with him necessarily, but I purchased Mato tracks with the thought of using them on my Lowe which used Tamiya sprockets and they did NOT fit without modification. They still bunch up from time to time, especially on carpet, so why take a chance?
Old 05-16-2017, 10:45 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiser133
Yellow definitely had better luck than me and I don't disagree with him necessarily, but I purchased Mato tracks with the thought of using them on my Lowe which used Tamiya sprockets and they did NOT fit without modification. They still bunch up from time to time, especially on carpet, so why take a chance?
The vast majority of people is with you and only a very small bunch of people seems to have those tracks working on the KT. The reasons i'd get the Mato are, they cost half the price of kenny kongs and impacts, they come in black, and I dont want to make business with impact (I had bad experience with them)

Uops, just noticed: I just found this web:
WWW.JAGDPANZER.NET - English-Version

Notice that the tracks are for Tamiya and Matorro (not mato, not torro, Matorro, lol) so that might be the origen of the confusion. Maybe the ones compatible with tamiya are the matorro ones and not the mato!
Old 05-19-2017, 04:37 PM
tpallas

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Sounds like your getting the full experience of a build. Assemble, mistake, learn, correct, done! Enjoying your enthusiasm on this build.
That's been happening a lot!! No worries, I guess it's how you learn.

Originally Posted by yellowshaker
Very nice work so far. ETO has the best customer service you can ask for and his knowledge in this hobby is the same. He helped me through my early days of the hobby and still does to this day.
The King Tiger is one of the most majestic tanks available as a kit, IMO. I loved building mine and soon I will be doing a repaint on it.
If I may give you a piece of friendly advice, get yourself an airbrush. The simple truth is painting a model with a spray can is nothing short of problems because of the amount of paint coming out and the lack of control you have using it. It will cover fine details and look quite bland in the end. Many guys use variants of Iwata while I have 4 different Paasche brushes at the moment. The paasche can be bought for around 100 dollars and comes with three interchangeable tips for different spray patterns. Number 2 is the one I use the most for the tanks. Check out Chicago airbrush supply and search paasche for the talon. Cannot go wrong with it. That and a compressor is money well spent for this hobby and the results cannot be achieved without it. I hope you are enjoying the hobby as much as I do. Keep up the great work.
Thanks that is great advice and exactly what I am looking for. Any particular model recommendations? Also support equipment?

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart
I quote you here, but Im refering to your gearbox brace problem, lol. After seeing that was idiot proof I ordered one gearbox brace and I have it here waiting waiting to be installed. I was going to install it today but then I saw your gearbox alineation problem, that is what was worrying me.

I dont apreciate any problem in your photos, so what was the problem and where was the mistake?? The screws were too loose? Even being so loose the gearbox should not move to right or left due to the screws, right?
I wouldnt take too much stock of the mistake, I just re-installed holding the transmissions straight and it was no problem. It was just ever so slightly askew when I screwed. Basic bugle but easily fixed. Once firmly in place they do not move.

Originally Posted by Cruiser133
TP, take note of your tracks, they are separating on both sides in several places. This is a known issue with those tracks unfortunately. I suggest you get some quality metal offerings from Kenny Kong or Mitosal especially now that you are using the awesome DT tensioner.
Damn those are good eyes! As it turns out I re-installed the pins incorrectly so went back in and fixed that based on your note.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:46 PM
tpallas

Moving on with the build....finished up the DT idler system. It may need some adjustment when the whole tank is done but for now I think it's sufficient. I was a bit intimidated when I first got the kit and instructions but it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.

Since I'm using a Spektrum DX9 I had a friend install the correct servo leads to the DMD control unit.

Installed the controller stack, everything else roughed in.

Any advice or best practices on how to tidy up the wires? They are pretty thick and it seems like you just mash everything together the best you can and zip tie it up?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:35 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On the servo leads, if you aren't using a Futaba receiver, just trim off the tabs on the DMD radio receiver leads with a hobby knife. They'll fit the Spektrum rx just fine.

Last edited by Jeff489; 05-19-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:33 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Try this thread for a start.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...al-hygene.html
Old 05-20-2017, 05:25 AM
Cruiser133

I suggest you read Robert's thread carefully, it is chock full of great information. Clean wiring requires planning and strategic use of zip ties. I plan out where all my electronics will reside then run the wiring accordingly. Surprisingly, the Tamiya manual gives you a great blueprint to follow. I found the KT pretty easy to wire up, the Pershing on the other hand....hope you have a full bottle of bourbon on hand for that job....
Old 05-25-2017, 06:20 AM
tpallas

Originally Posted by sevoblast
That is a great writeup Robert, thanks! Working through it all now.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:59 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Hope you enjoy my scribblings. I try to keep the insides of my tanks easily serviceable and I make sure nothing can get fouled in any of the mechanisms. Makes life easier.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:23 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Hey Tom, great work on this one, and I can tell you're having a lot of fun with it. Now, if you'll forgive me for going off topic for just a minute, I'm always interested in user names and why guys choose the ones they do, and when I saw yours I immediately thought of one of the most beautiful creatures on the face of the earth and I'm wondering if you're familiar with him.

The Pallas Cat

Click image for larger version

Name:	pallas%20cat_zpsfu7332dl.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	2216881

Highly endangered and very rare, but one of the coolest looking cats I've ever seen.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:04 PM
Rustytrax

Hope you enjoy my scribblings. I try to keep the insides of my tanks easily serviceable and I make sure nothing can get fouled in any of the mechanisms. Makes life easier.
I start out that way but after years of TU repair and Tamyia fuse failures some are just ziptied into a whip and stuffed in.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:20 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Thumbs up

Now THAT was a write up! Brings back memories of yesteryear.

I just shorten the wires where I can, fold & tuck with wire ties and get rid of those Tamiya plugs. You do not need a Y-connector.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:33 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I have to admit that I do like a tidy installation, and I've found that, in addition to zip ties, a little dab of Zap Goo can do wonders for holding things in place, and if you ever want to take it out it's not hard at all.