Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

decided to take the plunge finally. (Advice?)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

decided to take the plunge finally. (Advice?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:34 AM
Desertrat99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default decided to take the plunge finally. (Advice?)

Made it out to the LA tank meet this month and got to drive around a Sherman and take art in a mock battle. Unfortunately, the turnout was pretty small I think 6-8 people. Been looking around for quite a while at my option for tanks. I like both the Tamiya and Taigen offerings.

Regarding a decision on what to look for I am now looking at for a used Tamiya already assembled kit. I have found several but not sure the price is right for them? I can get lots of help locally to tweak or any maintenance they would require.

I have found

A) Rolling chassis for a Tamiya King Tiger (Fully painted and detailed) $250. Requires all the electronics and internal parts.

B) Tamiya Tiger tank fully ready to run with lots of upgrades asking price is $520. Requires Tamiya Battle system, radio, battery and charger

C) Taigen Panzer IV Metal edition. $235. Would require replacement of internal electronics and IR system for make battle ready.

D) Tamiya Sherman $325. Has Tamiya Battle system installed. Requires painting and missing a few detail items. Also requires radio, battery and charger

E) Tamiya Sherman $575. ready to run. Bunch of spare parts. slight damage to rear light and requires Tamiya Battle system, radio, battery and charger.

F) Brand New Taigen tanks cost $400-$550. Would need replacement of electronics to make Tamiya Battle ready, (Replacement parts run about $250) plus weathering, detailing and possible repaint.

Are any of these considered good deals?
Old 08-08-2017, 07:20 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

B sounds interesting if the build is well done and fairly new. D also, spares for Tamiya are no problem.

If you want to go with a new kit, here's the link for AAF in Virginia. Great people and outstanding service. Tamiya is really the only way to go, best on the market.

1/16th Tamiya RC Tanks
Old 08-08-2017, 07:35 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

If you're going to battle then you should definitely go with the Tamiya. It will be a lot less hassle in the long run. I had a Fine Taigen tiger with an IBU and an impact system, and you should have heard the guys at the local Club crying and whining because they thought it was harder to hit my tank than a regular Tamiya. If you just go with Tamiya from the start you avoid all that crap. If it was me, I'd go for E.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:10 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I know you said you wanted an already assembled tank, but don't buy someones junk or damaged tank. Unless you personally know the guy and have used it, it usually is a money pit.

This Tamiya 1/16th Radio Control U.S. M4 Sherman Tank is only $500.00 and you can put it together correctly. No RTR from a glue monkey factory or a used up tank and, with this kit add your own radio and battle system. Shipping is also an extra $$ and there's no worries about damage.

I would only suggested it because the Sherman was in the above choices.

JAT!!!
Old 08-08-2017, 09:22 AM
phordman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was quite a smaller turn out sunday, I was there with my family)wife and kids), I have a Taigen Sherman, and the wife was driving a SU.

Im a big fan of Taigen tanks/parts, and the putting one together is super easy, only a few tools needed.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Desertrat99

Too many choices.

While looking at the AAF museum I came across something I had not seen before. They have two tanks one is the Torro KV-2 and the Taigen KV-1. Not seen those before anywhere. They would require modification to Clark boards, IR battle systems and some other weathering and paint.

As for building a kit from scratch, I just do not have the space or patience nowadays to spent all that time on the build. Back when I was younger I used to build model airplanes all the time. Now, too many other things going on to put in the time to build a kit from scratch.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:56 AM
Panther F

Okay. But the Sherman is easy-peasy and I assembled mine in one weekend, but I have had years experience assembling things that their Tamiya Sherman is not that complicated. Maybe someone can get the running gear together for you and the upper half will take less time than modifying a Clark board into another tank.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:59 AM
phordman

Honistly, it took me all of an hour to put together my lower. but Taigen sells completed units too. IMO building is the best, so when something goes wrong you know how to fix it. if you have enough room to eat dinner at the table, you have more than enough room to put one together. Im sure any of us would be willing to help you build it. (I live in lake Elsinore)

The hardest part is deciding what tank you want, then go from there. Also when deciding you gotta keep in mind if the tank is a light, medium, or heavy.

if your into a tiger this is a good deal, Tiger 1 Late Version Metal Edition (Infrared) ? Taigen Tanks and Id bet if you hit up Erik he might pull the electronics out and reduce the price some ?
Old 08-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Desertrat99

Originally Posted by Panther F
Okay. But the Sherman is easy-peasy and I assembled mine in one weekend, but I have had years experience assembling things that their Tamiya Sherman is not that complicated. Maybe someone can get the running gear together for you and the upper half will take less time than modifying a Clark board into another tank.
been thinking about that as well. Too many decisions to make on this stuff.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Desertrat99

That is the big decision as to which one to get first.

Why do I have to keep in mind light , medium or heavy tank? Is that for the battle damage it can handle?

Of the ones I have seen, there are quite a few I like (3-4) models. Need to get two to start since the wife wants to play as well. So, that adds to the mix of things.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:41 AM
phordman

light tanks are 3 sec in between shots, and only takes 3 shots to kill, med tanks are 5sec and 5 shots to kill and heavy tanks are 9sec and 9 to kill.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Panther F

Well, the first step can be a tough choice... just make it count so it can only build from there. A wrong choice or lemon would be hard to overcome.

The Tamiya Sherman kit can later be changed into a different model, even with the HVSS. Maybe later, add a Taigen Sherman and have BOTH chassis of Shermans to satisfy your taste. Also, a Tamiya Sherman is pretty rugged but I would install bearings and a really good idler wheel with bearings.

The Sherman has always been a medium tank due to it's armor thickness, according to and based off RCACN rules. I guess if the group allowed it to change to one setting or another would be a unanimous decision. All 3 class of settings have their pros and cons.

I'm sure you'll make the right choice. If I lived closer I would help a new guy starting out putting one together.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Desertrat99

Thanks Panther F.

This is is my problem.

I like the German Tiger, King Tiger and Panzer IV. I also like the Russian KV-1, KV-2 and T-34 and the US Sherman.

Wish I could get a Japanese tank or even better would be some of the British tanks. I.e Matilda, Cromwell etc. etc.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:05 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're getting two, go with the M4 and Tiger I. You'll get two great, reliable tanks that'll give you guys hours of fun in battle. The Tiger will take more damage, but the Sherman will dart around with it's short barrel, getting shots off faster. It's a good balance and you'll never get bored.

I started with those two and once we got the battle units, it's all my kids wanted to do. Actually had to grind the crowns off the Futaba sticks because battle were so tense, we were cutting our thumbs.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:09 AM
phordman

if you go Sherman Tamiya or taigen, there are a ton of options you can turn it into, most require modeling skills though.

Panther do you guys run the super Sherman as a med or heavy ?
Old 08-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Desertrat99

Originally Posted by ausf
If you're getting two, go with the M4 and Tiger I. You'll get two great, reliable tanks that'll give you guys hours of fun in battle. The Tiger will take more damage, but the Sherman will dart around with it's short barrel, getting shots off faster. It's a good balance and you'll never get bored.

I started with those two and once we got the battle units, it's all my kids wanted to do. Actually had to grind the crowns off the Futaba sticks because battle were so tense, we were cutting our thumbs.
Great minds think alike. I was thinking this as well as one option.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:50 PM
Panther F

Originally Posted by phordman

Panther do you guys run the super Sherman as a med or heavy ?

The last time I ran in a club was 2006 and then the heaviest a Sherman ran was 'heavy' with the Thunderbolt, but only to even up the playing field as the Axis only ran Tiger I's and the Allies had Shermans and Pershings. I would guess the Super Sherman would stay a medium, just like as if it were a Firefly.

And Desertrat99... anytime you need help with a build of any brand, just ask here.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:12 PM
Desertrat99

Panther F, a lot of conflicting info from some locals and on here. Some say buying a used tank is a good idea to start and others say not. Same with what they should cost for new and used tanks.

Everyone is is all over the spectrum.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:46 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertrat99

Everyone is is all over the spectrum.
It's because everyone has their own preference or opinion.

My Tamiya Tiger is now 13 years old, still all original and going strong. It has trained many kids (with their jackrabbit starts) and even survived rolling down a set of concrete steps to continue and win the battle.

My M4 served me well for about 8 years, then became this T-34 (everything, including the turret ring is in this Trumpeter static kit, you can hear the Sherman engine as well):

Old 08-08-2017, 01:46 PM
phordman

IMO a used tank is OK if your willing to replace/work on something you don't know the history of. I would try to buy one with no electronics, it would blow spending extra $ to get electronics and have them be no good. I personally started with a new Heng Long Sherman and a H.L Stug III.

Now if you buy something from a member, there are some here in socal and in the Phoenix group that build and sell, where you can see them function, is a totally different story. We bought the SU of a local member.

Tamiya is the best, but also the most expensive. IMO Taigen is a close 2nd at a much less cost. Tamiya by far has more details, and if you like to display them deff go Tamiya. If your more into running them go Taigen, Ill probably never buy anything new other than a Taigen, I'm very happy with mine.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:07 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the Tamiya style controls and since I have never owned a tank with them I personally shy away from anything ready to run or build it and run without me modding it. I personally don't want to buy a Tamiya tank just to rip the electronics out of it; although, the electronics can fetch a decent price on the used market. That to me is the great part of the hobby...choices. Choose based on *your* needs. If I wasn't such a bigot on the Tamiya controls I would buy a used tank from a local club member so I knew the history on it. Battle the crap out of it. After having some experience with the first one decide if you are happy with that tank or if you want a different one. Heck, sell it to fund the second. I say that because it's the easiest way to get battling. If you buy a tank that you have to mod from the start to battle, you may never get around to it or be overwhelmed by the project. Then it will just sit and be a complete waste of time and money. Jump in feet first. If you don't like the hobby...jump out again. JMHO...
Old 08-08-2017, 04:50 PM
Desertrat99

Ok, found something when looking at the AAF museum website, they have two tanks I have not seen before. The KV-1 and KV-2, those appear to be considered Soviet heavy tanks. They do look different and would both require modification and electronic changes.

How difficult is is it to remove the airsoft and still have the barrel recoil when firing the gun? Will the tank itself also shake when firing the main gun?
Does the Clark board support these tanks? They are different looking and leaning toward the KV-2.

I had had been thinking about things the last few hours after work and while at the gym. In the end I am thinking of having 4-5 tanks. Sherman, T-34, Panzer IV, Tiger 1 (maybe) mid or late model, KV-2 , in some combination, that would give me light medium and heavy.

Phordman, I have seen a King Tiger rolling chassis all assembled and painted without internal electronics. For $233 plus shipping.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:09 PM
phordman

Air soft removal is easy, although i made the barrel recoil using the airsoft housing. There are different barrel recoil units u can buy.

track recoil is separate control in the controller.

taimya, clark or ibu will pretty much work in any tank regardless of the maker.

do u have a link to the k.t.?
Old 08-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Desertrat99

Phordman.

I have the picture on my iPad but cannot upload it here??
Old 08-08-2017, 06:32 PM
phordman

What make is the k.t.? Its a pain now to post pics here u have to upload them to a file sharing source.

only asked for a link to see what it comes with/how it was built. I couldn't tell by a pic but id bet there are others way more knowledge than i could.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.