Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

decided to take the plunge finally. (Advice?)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

decided to take the plunge finally. (Advice?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 09:47 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

It wasn't me! Too far of a drive!

They were both there when I replied... hopefully Desertrat got 'em!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:50 AM
phordman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sadly no he did not...
Old 08-14-2017, 09:58 AM
tankme

Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Yeah, I didn't think they would go that fast being local pick up only.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:06 AM
Desertrat99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had just sent him a few questions about them asking when they last ran and if they are both fully optioned as scribed.

Only the Pershing said gun fired and everything else.

He he also has. King Tiger on there that,mid I read correctly not fully optioned. But a rolling chassis?.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:08 AM
Desertrat99

Guessing those were good deals?
Old 08-14-2017, 10:16 AM
tankme

Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Yes since those kits are over $500 new. The King Tiger has no electronics. Since he says motorized it was probably built from the kit that had the single motor:

1/16 German King Tiger "Production Turret" (Motorized)

Wouldn't be very suitable for battling without replacing the gear box with the dual motor setup.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:53 AM
Desertrat99

Guess what? I was the buyer of both tanks.

Now the question of which radio and receiver? I have been looking at the Spektrum ones with model memory.

Would prefer a ER a single radio for all tanks.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:21 PM
Desertrat99

Howdy, you know that guy who had the Sherman and Pershing also had a Tiger 1 full option kit posted for sale.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:54 PM
Shorty54

Great find!! Your going to love that Pershing!
Old 08-14-2017, 02:57 PM
Desertrat99

Thanks Jeff489 for the heads up. I have been looking at EBay every few days and have not seen anything. What were your search criteria to find these?

Originally Posted by Jeff489
There's a Tamiya Sherman and Tamiya Pershing on Ebay (just listed) for $225 each. Both are full option.

They won't last long.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:52 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL, I used "Tamiya 1 16" Just got lucky to see it. Seller must have just listed them. I've been late so many times, that I guess I was due. Glad to hear you benefited.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:08 PM
Desertrat99

Originally Posted by Jeff489
LOL, I used "Tamiya 1 16" Just got lucky to see it. Seller must have just listed them. I've been late so many times, that I guess I was due. Glad to hear you benefited.
He also had a Tamiya Tiger 1 full,option that sold before I saw the post from you.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:15 AM
TheBennyB

If your just looking for a solid meat and potatoes TX/RX look at the Futaba 4YF. You could just buy an additional RX and rebind when you switch tanks. Also very easy to solder in a momentary push button to fire the main gun.

Futaba 2.4GHz FHSS Futaba 4YF 4-Channel Radio System

Futaba R2004GF FHSS Receiver | eBay
Old 08-15-2017, 07:53 AM
Panther F

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Desertrat99
Guess what? I was the buyer of both tanks.
THAT is GREAT!!! 2 Tamiya tanks and you didn't break the bank!

Now you have an instant army.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:15 AM
Desertrat99

Originally Posted by Panther F
THAT is GREAT!!! 2 Tamiya tanks and you didn't break the bank!

Now you have an instant army.
Half a Tank Platoon.

Now have to get some batteries? Looking at MiMH 4300mAh 7.2V.

Radio looking at Spektrum and receivers. OrangeRx R615X DSM2/DSMX on Amazon they are cheaper but work with spectrum radios
Old 08-15-2017, 10:35 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what the Orange Box are going for on Amazon, but the best prices is usually direct from HobbyKing. I'd check the US warehouses if you need them soon, but straight from HK usually takes 10-14 days. I usually round out every order with one or two, they are great Rxs, I've only had one bad one out of about 30 or so and they immediately refunded the cost.

I use two DX6i and 2 Futaba Attacks and you can't go wrong with either, especially with the new DX6i letting you self center both sticks with a turn of a screw.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Desertrat99

Originally Posted by ausf
I don't know what the Orange Box are going for on Amazon, but the best prices is usually direct from HobbyKing. I'd check the US warehouses if you need them soon, but straight from HK usually takes 10-14 days. I usually round out every order with one or two, they are great Rxs, I've only had one bad one out of about 30 or so and they immediately refunded the cost.

I use two DX6i and 2 Futaba Attacks and you can't go wrong with either, especially with the new DX6i letting you self center both sticks with a turn of a screw.
these? OrangeRx R615X DSM2/DSMX. Those are like $11.42 each and I stock in US.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:39 PM
ausf

Yep, I see they're $22+ on Amazon, $16 on Ebay.

Most things are a little cheaper from the Global, but not in this case. Shipping from HK is usually half that of in the States (ChinaPost is subsidized), but at $12, you can't go wrong, even if they tack on $7 shipping. HK is great for batteries too, at least lipos so you may want to check what they have in NiMH while you're there.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:42 PM
ausf

By the way, the extra 2 channels are great for moving an MG, pico or figure.

Thiis guy is all off that receiver in the Tammy T1:

Old 08-16-2017, 11:29 AM
RichJohnson

Received 377 Likes on 240 Posts

You got two great tanks at hreat prices. The great thing is you got a medium and heavy. The heavy will take some practice to get used to for battling. You can take hits alot faster than you can shoot you need to be supported by a sherman or two as wingmen. Looking forward to meeting you at our next battle.
i sent you my phone number on the facebook message from our battle group. We need to get you hooked up with battle units and the long range IR bulbs for the Sandiego field or you wont stand a chance when we charge the enemy.
did you get tamiya battle units with your tanks?
if not go to ebay or the danville tank museum and order them.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:42 AM
Desertrat99

I still still need several things including:

Batteries Recommendations?
Battery charger
Radios (leaning toward Spektrum)
battle units (Tamiya or 3rd party ones?)
tool kit
carry case
receivers (going with those orange ones recommended)

any other things I am missing?

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
You got two great tanks at hreat prices. The great thing is you got a medium and heavy. The heavy will take some practice to get used to for battling. You can take hits alot faster than you can shoot you need to be supported by a sherman or two as wingmen. Looking forward to meeting you at our next battle.
i sent you my phone number on the facebook message from our battle group. We need to get you hooked up with battle units and the long range IR bulbs for the Sandiego field or you wont stand a chance when we charge the enemy.
did you get tamiya battle units with your tanks?
if not go to ebay or the danville tank museum and order them.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:27 PM
Shorty54

I have the Pershing.
I installed ETO DP03 Pershing brace and quick change transmission kit. Makes servicing the gears and motors much easier.
Metal Elevation arm ETO ZUH28 (I think) replaces plastic one.
Sealed bearings in wheel and suspension, instead of bushings, Mitosal BR003
Mitosal 16T050 Impact idler arm for track tension, gives more adjustment to track tension then Tamiya stock ones.
These are just the parts I used. There are other brands also.
I would use the Tamiya battle system, no question.
I run a 5000mah nimh battery, seem to have plenty of run time.
The Pershing is very tight inside, take your time and get the wiring to fit properly. Once done right its a great tank.
I have the Futaba 4YF with machine gun and main gun on a toggle (like most Tamiya set ups) I also have a DX6i both good radios in my opinion
I have also used the Orange HK RXs in my Rc planes and no issues.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:15 PM
Desertrat99

Hi Shorty54,

domi I have to do all these changes? Seems that I can easily change the elevation arm and transmission kit.

What would the wheel heel suspension and idler stuff do for the tanks performance? Worthwhile expense as some of these parts are not cheap.

Originally Posted by Shorty54
I have the Pershing.
I installed ETO DP03 Pershing brace and quick change transmission kit. Makes servicing the gears and motors much easier.
Metal Elevation arm ETO ZUH28 (I think) replaces plastic one.
Sealed bearings in wheel and suspension, instead of bushings, Mitosal BR003
Mitosal 16T050 Impact idler arm for track tension, gives more adjustment to track tension then Tamiya stock ones.
These are just the parts I used. There are other brands also.
I would use the Tamiya battle system, no question.
I run a 5000mah nimh battery, seem to have plenty of run time.
The Pershing is very tight inside, take your time and get the wiring to fit properly. Once done right its a great tank.
I have the Futaba 4YF with machine gun and main gun on a toggle (like most Tamiya set ups) I also have a DX6i both good radios in my opinion
I have also used the Orange HK RXs in my Rc planes and no issues.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:13 AM
Panther F

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Desertrat99
Hi Shorty54,

domi I have to do all these changes? Seems that I can easily change the elevation arm and transmission kit.

What would the wheel heel suspension and idler stuff do for the tanks performance? Worthwhile expense as some of these parts are not cheap.

Shorty is right on all points BUT, are much easier during the build but only later IF they need to be replaced. IF, the plastic elevation arm becomes weak and if the stock wheel bushings start to show play, then get those taken care of. Once in place, that maintenance concern will be eliminated.

The idler system allows a finer adjustment so if you feel the tracks are too tight or too loose with the stock parts then it's fairly simple but involves taking the wheel hub off.

The trans adapter allows taking the gearbox out faster/easier. It is very time consuming VS other Tamiya tanks with the out-drives. If you use it a lot and outside this will be needed soon too.

The radio choice and batteries is all on you, what you like and can afford. JUST make sure it is compatible to linking up with the Tamiya. There are a few tips on making room inside the tank to make things easier and less 'spaghetti' like looking. Wiring hygiene is critical in the long term.

Last edited by Panther F; 08-17-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:49 AM
Desertrat99

I was looking at ETO armour last night and saw they have these other options for parts.

Specifically for the Sherman tank, is ETO armour the best place for these replacement parts?

What about the
Sherman pan hull brace
bolt on gear down for Tamiya transmission

how difficult are all these parts to replace?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.