Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Help and Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 04:31 PM
benleahy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help and Advice needed

HI all,bit of a back story,(skip this chapter if you just want to see the bit i need help with) I've always liked anything RC, and every now and again ill spend stupid money (well, in my eyes) on something, to get a few months worth of fun out of it before either giving it to a friend or selling it on. I have one RC car i bought from new called a FTX carnage, its a 1/10 4wd rc car. Ive had this over a year and on its last journey it went AWOL at full speed into a stone wall, the front left took the main damage and that was that. But ive just moved house and have spent the last few weeks stripping it apart and rebuilding it, and i have finally completed this task. but then my inner child hit me, I now want a RC tank. I have seen one called a hobby engine m1a2 1/16 going cheap on Facebook (some ungrateful child not wanting his present according to the poster) now here is the bit i need help and advise on. Can i place the engine from the FTX into the tank? and what type of modifications would i need to make this work? from the specs of google it appears there would be more than enough room inside the hull of the tank. Just wondering if any additional conversation or gearboxes would be needed. thanks in advance B.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:45 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

You might find this informative

Old 12-27-2017, 04:56 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

In a word no.
Sorry, but the RC buggy gearbox will not work in a tank, neither will any of the electronics.

Your mileage may vary with the HE Abrams, but generally I hear its not a good starter tank - rubber band tracks and poor controls. Now if you want to get into the modelling side then it may be worth the effort as I believe that its not to bad cosmetically (not really into the modern stuff, so you'll have to get somebody else's help on that score), but out of the box you'd be better off with the Heng Long version, or if you really want to spent the cash to get an Abrams - buy the Tamiya kit.

Hope this helps?
Old 12-27-2017, 05:27 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

If you cant afford the tamiya abrams kit at a cool grand, get a heng long abrams off ebay. They can be upgraded alot, see all the threads here and for about 150 ish isnt a bad cost for a nice tank.
Just dont buy a hobby engine abrams.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:20 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Where are you? I may have a good deal on an Abrams if you're interested.