Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya recoil issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 08:09 PM
Cruiser133

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya recoil issue

Guys,

I just installed a brand new Pershing recoil in my Jumbo project and now I am getting a constant slow movement by the recoil motor as soon as I hook up the battery regardless if the MF-01, T-05 or radio is on. I have tried three different recoil assemblies and they all do it. I think it is my MF-01. Any ideas? When I hook everything up, the recoil works fine when I hit the stick on my radio, but it still has a constant slow movement. I cant get it to stop....I hooked up another MF-01 and problem went away....I really hate to give up on this MF unit.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:43 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi,

If you have not done this, try it. You may have to go through the steps more than once.

I had a Tamiya Jagdpanther that had a similar recoil issue.

A DMD reset plus a reprogram of the transmitter fixed the issue. Worth a try and follow the reset and reprogram steps precisely.

YouTube has several videos on resetting the Tamiya DMD MF Units that could also be helpful.

Good luck.

John

Old 03-28-2018, 06:56 AM
Ad Lav

Sounds like the unit is in test mode?

switch it out of test mode and it should be fine.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:16 AM
Cruiser133

I tried about 5 or 6 times resetting it per the manual then I finally took it apart or at least took off the top cover and discovered a bit of corrosion. I used some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip and cleaned the top of the board but I have not accessed the bottom yet. Anybody know if these are glued to the bottom shell? I am pretty sure I have some corrosion making a connection along some trace on the board which is providing the constant low power to the recoil outlet.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:21 AM
Ad Lav

Check that switch SW3 is set to the left.

also check your recoil rate is set correctly. Sw1 and sw2 need to be set to the middle.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:23 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hate to say it, but it sounds like a classic MF unit problem I've ran into twice. Both times, MF went into constant recoil when powered up, and both times it was a bad MF.

Try all the easy stuff, then if necessary, get another MF unit to swap in to verify the diagnosis.

Last edited by Jeff489; 03-28-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:10 AM
Cruiser133

Originally Posted by Jeff489
Hate to say it, but it sounds like a classic MF unit problem I've ran into twice. Both times, MF went into constant recoil when powered up, and both times it was a bad MF.

Try all the easy stuff, then if necessary, get another MF unit to swap in to verify the diagnosis.
Unfortunately you are spot on. I swapped out the MF unit and everything works fine. What sucks is everything else works perfect on the bad board, I just get a constant slow recoil. I guess I could hold her for another project where I will not be using recoil....
Old 03-29-2018, 07:16 AM
Shorty54

Has anyone tried to repair these? I cant imagine the parts to repair cant be more than pennies? I have replaced SMDs, Mosfets, capacitors, regulators, and heat sinks,
before on small boards. These really cant be any different are they??

gp100 on the forum here seems to have quite the education on electronics, maybe he could take a stab at repairing them??

It seems like a waste of over $200 to just throw in a spare parts bin.

Shad
Old 03-29-2018, 08:18 AM
Cruiser133

I cant even figure out how to get it off of the lower shell. Not sure if it is glued in or what...
Old 03-29-2018, 09:51 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiser133
I cant even figure out how to get it off of the lower shell. Not sure if it is glued in or what...
My aging Pershing unit, don't even remember where or how I got it, did the same many moons ago. It's now in a Sherman and works fine. As most of you know, Tamiya Sherman does not have recoil
Old 03-29-2018, 10:00 AM
RichJohnson

Received 377 Likes on 240 Posts

When you have corrosion use D5 deoxit. Its a product all us military radio restorers use on the modules etc. corrosion can bleed current and short voltage. That is likely your problem.
If that does not work ask tamiya if they will repair it.