Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Shapeways 1/16 3D tank parts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Shapeways 1/16 3D tank parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 08:14 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Shapeways 1/16 3D tank parts

I just looked at the Shapeways website for 1/16 scale vehicle parts, and scrolled through 14 pages with about 50 items per page showing a lot of WW2 tank parts that are impossible for me to scratch build. They ain't cheap, but their details are incredible and some are reasonably priced for my retired guy budget. I would like to hear from those who have gotten small accessory items from them to find out how satisfied you are with their product. Everything looks great, but I have stubbed my toe on a few things I have bought sight unseen before. Any comments you care to share?
Thanks,
rex

https://www.shapeways.com
Old 05-09-2018, 08:45 AM
TXtanker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rex
I purchased the gun and mantlet for my Stug B and was very happy with the quality I did have to fill the pattern left by printing but was overall satisfied
I also purchased the wing nuts, german tool clasps and periscope hatches with wire cages for my sherman and they are amazing in detail!!
Old 05-09-2018, 08:56 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Rex, review my m50 build a little more than halfway down the forum page . The turret parts and engine deck are shapeways. They are polished pla and have course texture that must be smeared with putty and sanded and primed a few times.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...-hvss-m50.html
Frosted ultra detail is very fine detail and great looking, see the siren i installed last on my alco m4 build, its the last post.
my m50 jerry can holders are also frosted ultra detail and very nice but not installed yet.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...tch-build.html

Last edited by RichJohnson; 05-09-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:36 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Rex
Yes, I'm a fan of 3D prints, but not the price, especially when you need multiples, then shipping to NZ gets old fast.
Have collaborated in getting parts made, mostly M41 stuff - Project 2 - M41A1 AVRNZE Cont'd -
- M41 T Muzzle Brake & Bore Evac - X 3D Kits via Shapeways -
Shapeways - 3D printing -

Mal
Old 05-09-2018, 03:33 PM
Markocaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rex , I got some 1/16 German tool clamps and some Panzer IV steel wheels. Good quality , came quick and I prefer not having to work w photo etch
not inexpensive.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Strathcona

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rex,
I have purchased the German tool clamps, German WW2 Jerry cans, and the 30 Cal machine, mounts and ammo trays, plus a night vision device for my Panther Tank. I am very impressed with the quality. Good people to do business with.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:28 AM
Perry S.

With the price of 3D printers so low I do not know why anyone would order anything on Shapeways. I see many unhappy with the parts when they arrive because they are assuming injection molded part quality. They are close but will need some pst processing. I saw a previous post where a set of T-34 roadwheels off Shapeways about $200 (This is from memory). For that price you can buy a printer and build your own.

3D printing will play a huge part in our hobby. Since we are all modelers we should all be interested in using the latest tools.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:29 PM
Markocaster

Originally Posted by Perry S.
With the price of 3D printers so low I do not know why anyone would order anything on Shapeways. I see many unhappy with the parts when they arrive because they are assuming injection molded part quality. They are close but will need some pst processing. I saw a previous post where a set of T-34 roadwheels off Shapeways about $200 (This is from memory). For that price you can buy a printer and build your own.

3D printing will play a huge part in our hobby. Since we are all modelers we should all be interested in using the latest tools.
Agreed. However I am not sure I could operate one. I hear they aren’t that easy to operate. And how you guys draw that stuff on the computer looks like wizzardry. Wouldn’t know where to start lol
Old 05-15-2018, 09:14 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Markocaster

I hear they aren’t that easy to operate.

Not sure who told you that lie, Bro, but they're pretty simple. I have one (a Creality CR-10) and if I can do it, anyone can. I'm still trying to learn design, but there's more stuff out there right now for free than I could print in a lifetime. And a lot of the guys that are talented designers are more than willing to share with the rest of us. I like to think I was smart about it and got my printer on Black Friday so it was only $330 delivered, but even at full price it's not a bad deal.

As for those T-34 wheels, when I saw Dusty was looking for some and saw how much shapeways wanted for them, I asked Martin to design the wheel and then I printed a couple sets for Dusty for the price of postage, just because shapeways ticked me off with the outrageous prices. It costs me about 2 cents a gram for plastic and about 5 cents an hour to run the printer, so the prices at shapeways are really over the top. Especially when you consider that shapeways doesn't design their own parts, they just use what people submit to have printed to resell at the aforementioned outrageous prices. I actually have to give them credit, because that's quite the little racket they have going. Kinda wish I had thought of it myself, but the guilt would have been a heavy load for me. I also just printed some trucks for Rich, and what I printed for about $30 (not including postage) would've cost a couple grand from Shapeways.

I sent Rex a PM offering to print parts for him, but he hasn't responded so I don't know if he got the message. But the offer stands, Rex, so if I can help just holler.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:38 AM
Cruiser133

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius
Not sure who told you that lie, Bro, but they're pretty simple. I have one (a Creality CR-10) and if I can do it, anyone can. I'm still trying to learn design, but there's more stuff out there right now for free than I could print in a lifetime. And a lot of the guys that are talented designers are more than willing to share with the rest of us. I like to think I was smart about it and got my printer on Black Friday so it was only $330 delivered, but even at full price it's not a bad deal.

As for those T-34 wheels, when I saw Dusty was looking for some and saw how much shapeways wanted for them, I asked Martin to design the wheel and then I printed a couple sets for Dusty for the price of postage, just because shapeways ticked me off with the outrageous prices. It costs me about 2 cents a gram for plastic and about 5 cents an hour to run the printer, so the prices at shapeways are really over the top. Especially when you consider that shapeways doesn't design their own parts, they just use what people submit to have printed to resell at the aforementioned outrageous prices. I actually have to give them credit, because that's quite the little racket they have going. Kinda wish I had thought of it myself, but the guilt would have been a heavy load for me. I also just printed some trucks for Rich, and what I printed for about $30 (not including postage) would've cost a couple grand from Shapeways.

I sent Rex a PM offering to print parts for him, but he hasn't responded so I don't know if he got the message. But the offer stands, Rex, so if I can help just holler.
If that offer stands for others, I will definitely keep you in mind as you are right, Shapeways is terribly expensive. You are a good dude (despite being a wolverine) for offering this service to others. That fabric you sent me worked like a charm for my T55 BTW.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:21 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Glad to hear the fabric worked out. I'm always happy to help, you just have to promise not to tell anybody that I was helping a Buckeye. I do have a reputation to maintain, ya know.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:10 AM
Markocaster

Originally Posted by Crius
Not sure who told you that lie, Bro, but they're pretty simple. I have one (a Creality CR-10) and if I can do it, anyone can. I'm still trying to learn design, but there's more stuff out there right now for free than I could print in a lifetime. And a lot of the guys that are talented designers are more than willing to share with the rest of us. I like to think I was smart about it and got my printer on Black Friday so it was only $330 deliveredr.
Gary. I asked a year or go and was advised unless I printed lots of stuff it wasn’t worth it ? I suppose I should have a go
Old 05-16-2018, 12:43 PM
Perry S.

Originally Posted by Markocaster

Gary. I asked a year or go and was advised unless I printed lots of stuff it wasn’t worth it ? I suppose I should have a go
I guess it all comes down to who you posed that question to...