Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Electronics upgrades for the fleet advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Electronics upgrades for the fleet advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 07:35 AM
Spitvalve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronics upgrades for the fleet advice

Some interests and responsibilities have kept me from my tanks for several years so it's time to get back. For context, the last time I worked on my armour, HL had not yet entered the world of 2.4GHZ! Here's my questions and the search function here has led me down some deadend roads, but if anybody has some good links please post them.

Question: What is the most economical way to upgrade my tanks to 2.4GHZ? I have a Flysky FS-i6 radio and a receiver on order ($54 CAD and free shipping. Craziness!). Currently, I have HL tanks with RX-13, 14 and 18 boards (PzIII, 2x Jagdpanthers, Tiger, KV-1) and an old Mato M4A1 76 with its original guts, although its being converted to a Grizzly.The PZIII, Tiger, and Sherman are airsoft, the remainder are IR. Ultimately, I'd probably get everything over to IR although it's not a rush on that.
I'd like to get rid of the track recoil and achieve better sound. Is the new TK10 recently announced here the most viable option? Any advice on how best to handle the older RX13 and 14 boards?

All advice and links to any good resources and info are most welcome. Thanks!

Mike.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:21 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

If you want Tamiya compatible IR, I say go with the IBU. If it's just airsoft you might want to take a look at the V2 MFU from Taigen, which will work great with your i6.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:47 PM
Spitvalve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Crius. Looks like they're out of stock with a lot of suppliers but once they're back I'll give one a try. I recall a few years ago thinking about Dan's BARC but let it slip and now they are no more! Rats.

Thanks again for the reply,

Mike.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:40 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I have also just recently returned to this great hobby. IMHO you may want to look into some aftermarket boards. I have researched prices on some of these, I really like how the new taigen boards are inexpensive and in the future will have interchangeable sounds for diff tanks. But to make them Tamiya IR compatible... RCTA rc tanks of australia has a mako18 which makes it tamiya compliant and you would need another board the rc5hl something or other lol. When it is all said and done the cost puts these around the price of an aftermarket board. I believe the RC5HL from RCTA will accomplish the 2.4ghz for around $20 but it wont make it IR compatible with Tamiya that is where the Mako comes into play. I have a taigen V1 board but when i would include wiring and a Mako I am in the price range of a Clark board. The flysky you have ordered is a great radio

I basically trashed my 13 and 14 boards, they are just really outdated and kaput

Cheers,
Wade

Last edited by Rebellion13; 03-05-2019 at 01:47 PM.