Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Taigen Panzer IV

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 07:15 PM
markust74

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Taigen Panzer IV

I just got my Taigen full metal Panzer IV and am surprised by one detail and hope someone has a workaround. The power/volume switches are right on the bottom. I’m wondering where I can run this besides indoors without it getting wet/shorted.
Any workarounds appreciated much!!

mark
Old 03-08-2021, 08:00 PM
Kear-Skof

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty much every one of my Henglongs has the switches on the bottom and I've never had any problems besides a rock or two turning it off, Even with damp grass and mud. Any time I've driven one through water I've had tape over the switches
Old 03-08-2021, 09:39 PM
markust74

Default Switches on bottom

All of my HL’s have the switches on the top in the turret? Battery is only thing on the bottom.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:41 PM
markust74

Default Switches

The Taigen has the On/Off switch and then just a blank hole on the bottom waiting to be filled with sand/mud?
Old 03-09-2021, 02:47 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

There's a thread around here somewhere that shows how to move the switches to the top so that they're underneath the driver's or assistant drivers hatch. I think one of the guys even designed a 3D printed piece to hold the switches, but that might have been for Sherman. But, should be easily adaptable to the P4.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:48 AM
markust74

Default I have not found that thread...?

Originally Posted by Crius
There's a thread around here somewhere that shows how to move the switches to the top so that they're underneath the driver's or assistant drivers hatch. I think one of the guys even designed a 3D printed piece to hold the switches, but that might have been for Sherman. But, should be easily adaptable to the P4.
have not found they thread??
Old 03-09-2021, 05:45 AM
Crius

Give it a little time, I'm sure one of the guys will be able to point us in the right direction eventually.

So which one of you guys made the switch holder for your P4?
Old 03-09-2021, 06:53 AM
heritage19

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They sell clear rubber covers for on/off switches that protect the switch from the elements. In this application you would remove the switch, place the switch cover in the hole for the switch, place the switch back into the cover and re-screw the switch down. The switch covers are flexible and therefore move with the switch toggle. Look for them in RC truck parts, maybe rc plane accessories.

Last edited by heritage19; 03-09-2021 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:25 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Give it a little time, I'm sure one of the guys will be able to point us in the right direction eventually.

So which one of you guys made the switch holder for your P4?
I think that Rad Schuhart fits switches over the gearboxes of his PZ4 as do I,
All you need is a few screws a pin vise a bit of scrap 3mm plasticard and an (Empty) bean can plus the on/off switch and the volume control from the bottom of your Tank.
You need one section of the plasticard to go across the top of the gearboxes and two sections to make up supporting legs, The bean can is cut into strips that support the legs at the join to the cross section, I screw the volume control to the cross bar so that it is under the Drivers hatch and the on/off control under the radio ops hatch,
If you are a perfectionist like me, I pin vise through the hull sides and into the supporting legs,
I then run a countersunk screw into the hull and supporting leg each side,
Do make sure that the hull mg clears the cross section,
Job done.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:27 AM
sclui

Mark, this might be a bit more visual https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/foru...28955&start=60
Old 03-09-2021, 09:12 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by sclui
Mark, this might be a bit more visual https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/foru...28955&start=60
Interesting, but the first post on that page is by Max-U52. He got banned. I'm not sure I'd listen to him. Some of the guys at rctw say he's a real jerk. Bwahahaha
Old 03-09-2021, 09:25 AM
sclui

Interesting, but the first post on that page is by Max-U52. He got banned. I'm not sure I'd listen to him. Some of the guys at rctw say he's a real jerk. Bwahahaha
I don't really know. It's about a PZ4, so I looked. I also contemplated relocating my switches, don't like having to feel for it underneath, especially it's recessed.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:33 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Oh Crius if you only knew the fellow, what an utter bounder.
Seriously old friend you are much missed on that Forum.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:10 PM
markust74

Default I like the idea

I like the idea and simplicity of the idea of the “rubbers” for the on off switch...lol. I don’t think it would work for the volume as that one needs too much screwing and poking with a driver to hold up to any rubber (cover).
once I get all the guts out I will figure out the relocate.

thanks for suggesting safe tanking.. my tank appreciates not getting something from the mud!!

mark

Originally Posted by heritage19
They sell clear rubber covers for on/off switches that protect the switch from the elements. In this application you would remove the switch, place the switch cover in the hole for the switch, place the switch back into the cover and re-screw the switch down. The switch covers are flexible and therefore move with the switch toggle. Look for them in RC truck parts, maybe rc plane accessories.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:31 AM
sclui

Mark,

Look what I found! https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4556459/files
Old 03-11-2021, 03:06 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sclui
Nice find!

This is for an HL hull, but it solves the same concern. Pz IV Ausf G DAK Build

The RCTW idea is a good one, too.