Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

heng long tiger 1 turret trouble HELP PLEASE

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

heng long tiger 1 turret trouble HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 01:32 PM
debadge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy heng long tiger 1 turret trouble HELP PLEASE

hi guys
i have this new hl tiger 1.. i put metal sprocket idler and tread on it. all the metal i put on it is mato stuff
ok now to the point it has a 360 turret and recoil barrrel. that was installed by mato when i bought it. up until 4 days ago it was perfect.
now when i go to rotate the turret it will go complete cirlcle to the left.. but if i try to that to the right
i get this click click sound .. i checked where the turret ring and the motor meetup i don't see any gear teeth missing .and it seems that it is jumping out of gear so how
the turret ring is a plastic one. any helpful advice will be appreciated.. oh i got 2 weeks to get it fixed i got a battle with a t-34 in my yard
and i want to be able to use the advantage of the 360 turret.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:47 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I have to ask why you decided to use Mato as your choice, In my humble opinion Mato quality is poorer than Heng Long which does not say very much and it almost never is a good fit,
In this case I would have used a Taigen 360 turret ring or a DKLM Metal one..
Old 03-09-2021, 02:07 PM
Tankster

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree. I use a DKLM metal ring and motor in my Tiger. Practically all the slop is now gone. Plus it just feels good to have quality metal parts replacing plastic parts.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:23 PM
BcuriousR

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe the rotation motor has a clutch. If you disassemble the rotation unit, you may find the clutch is broken or simply not engaging. If this is the case, you could just glue the clutch within the gear to get it working.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:05 PM
Tankster

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Never pass up a justified chance to upgrade your Tiger. Glue parts together for now as a “field repair” but plan on a metal upgrade in the near future. Especially if you depend on reliable function during IR battle situations. It will make you smile after you install the upgrades.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:18 PM
markust74

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What else is needed

if you get a 360 degree ring (from DKLM or other source...one needed) what else is needed for the HL Tiger so the wires don’t tangle with 360 function?
is it a kit?
any links appreciated!
cheers
mark

Originally Posted by jarndice
I have to ask why you decided to use Mato as your choice, In my humble opinion Mato quality is poorer than Heng Long which does not say very much and it almost never is a good fit,
In this case I would have used a Taigen 360 turret ring or a DKLM Metal one..
Old 03-10-2021, 06:24 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Remember that metal is not always your best option, sometimes you're better off with plastic. For example, I used to have metal turrets on all my tiger tanks until I noticed that the weight of the turret was causing the upper deck to warp. I went back to plastic turrets and haven't had any more problems, and once it's painted you can't tell if it's metal or plastic anyway.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:41 AM
debadge

i bought the tank off mato when i bought it thad 360 turret installed by them when i ordered it the tank came with steel gears steel barrel with barrel recoil. i couldn't find anyone who had that combo online.. i prefer mato parts for the treads and idle and sprocket
mato is fast service for me. it comes from canada i get what i order in under a week
Old 03-10-2021, 06:51 AM
debadge

well before i saw any replies to my post i just ordered a new 360 ring from mato.. it will be here by monday..
as for the motor i checked the motor .. the motor is fine. i took it off and put it on a walker bulldog i have and it worked fine
so it must be the ring. i may have damaged it ,i had the tank on it side finishing some painting it needed, when i was fitting it for camo netting i had made.
can you guys send me a link for one of these metal rings .. preferably a us source would be nice
Old 03-10-2021, 09:15 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Check for clearance on the turret and upper hull. Sometimes when the turret spins it can catch on an accessory which will cause the clutch to kick in and refuse to turn. Get right to the point where it stops turning and look at the upper hull and bottom part of the turret for any type of collision and post a picture if you find anything. The rotation units are not very strong, it doesn't take much to engage the clutch on those.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:36 AM
debadge

the other part you need is called a slip ring.. it is a bunch of wire with a plastic round thing that that spins and does let the wires get pulled,
you will need to know how many wire connecters are on your tanks now.. i have seen then on ebay or toucanhobby.com i know mato has them. they are easy to find
the reason i ordered my tank with the 360 turret installed was because i didn't want to have to deal with the wiring.i have a bad left hand so that is difficult for me to do.
and now i have to do it any way . in regards to your slip ring just remember to count your wires and make sure it has the same number of wires that you need, if you dont want to be sodering order one with the connectors already on.. there are alot of videos on you tube were people show you how they did theirs. i put a few links below that might help you find the proper split ring both of the links i put you can email and they will help you . there are alot of other places to to find split rings if you don't want to use those links. good luck and happy tanking

www.matomart.com
www.toucanhobby.com
Old 03-10-2021, 11:15 AM
debadge

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Check for clearance on the turret and upper hull. Sometimes when the turret spins it can catch on an accessory which will cause the clutch to kick in and refuse to turn. Get right to the point where it stops turning and look at the upper hull and bottom part of the turret for any type of collision and post a picture if you find anything. The rotation units are not very strong, it doesn't take much to engage the clutch on those.
thanks for the idea. i will have to check that.. this whole thing has me highly annoyed, one of the main reasons i ordered this tank was for the 360 rotation of
turret.. see i have a injured left hand so something like wiring doesn't come easy.. as for posting pictures forum won't let till i have 10 post. i tried to send pics to another person to show him what a slip ring looks like but it wouldn't et me.. i never use these forums so this is all greek to me.. thanks for the idea i will keep you informed i do appreciate your help
Old 03-10-2021, 05:56 PM
debadge

ok guys.. i found out what the problem was that caused the turret to not rotate.. the problem was the plastic part on the slip ring wires, that part that allows it to spin and not tear the wires out
a piece of that was broken off, a very small piece and it was stuck inside the turret motor. i only found it when i took off that motor to test it on a walker bulldog i had. when i was putting the motor that came on the bull dog back on. i noticed this tiny piece of black plastic .. so i was looking inside the tiger and i saw ,, that i must have come off of that black piece of plastic that keep from tearing the wires out on the split ring. i didn't put it back together yet ..but i did test it and it rotates 360 in both directions with no clicking sound... so i am keeping my fingers crossed i have no more trouble.. thanks for the ideas

john
Old 03-12-2021, 03:18 PM
debadge

Thumbs up tiger is fixed

guys the tiger is fixed.. and back to running normal , turns out i didn't even need new parts at all.
on the black piece of plastic on the slip ring a small piece of plastic broke off and got in the turret motor.
also i noticed on a henglong that comes with 360 turret like this one, the wires are longer and they are not joined like if you were adding the slip ring and turret gear yourself,
that tell me that they will be coming from the factory from now on that way.

thanks for the advice
john